Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

NA-T -- Is it worth the trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 01:13 PM
Mortal300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hyjaxx
Actually- I'd go with a smaller turbo to reduce lag- it'd still meet your hp needs. http://www.precisionturbo.net
And you won't be needing to upgrade to an R154- don't listen to anyone who tells you you need one for a 300hp build. Standard w58 with an ACT or RPS will do.
Eh i have a T61 and the lag is not that much honestly. I spool around 3000 to 4500ish(fullboost at 4500-4700) and the car is a beast on the freeway. Plus you dont want to be launching on a w58 cus that **** will blow on these cars if you LAUNCH. And true dont listen to people that say u need a r154 on 300whp because thats BS. I know people that had 400WHP and had a w58 that ran strong. In-fact the base kit from DaveH is a 400WHP gaurenteed kit. ACT

Originally Posted by Pspice
http://www.suprastore.com/tosutucokit1.html
anyone have exp with that kit
Read that site: "US designs, Asian off-shore manufacturing and good old fashioned American pricing and we have a budget based kit that actually performs!"

There selling a kit off ebay is basically what that sentence means. If your budget is 2000$ then get that kit but i promise you your car will explode.

A solid amount for a high quality turbo kit is a roughly $4000-5000 budget.

And plus that site has very bad reviews and experience from members on SupraForums.
Old 02-21-10, 03:52 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the xspower kit has been working flawlessly for me over a year now. its more expensive now than it was a while back but its actually quality stuff (except for the oil lines, but if you can't pick out some SS oil lines yourself just quit now).
Half of it comes down to installations and not messing stuff up the first time around.

If I had to do it again I would do exactly what i did, but I would just use a TT ecu over any piggyback which is good for bpu supra power, more than you should be running on a stock compression GE.
for more serious power you need solid engine management, but if you know you are gonna end up there, might as well start out that way from the beginning.
Old 02-21-10, 04:46 PM
hyjaxx
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mortal300
Eh i have a T61 and the lag is not that much honestly. I spool around 3000 to 4500ish(fullboost at 4500-4700) and the car is a beast on the freeway. Plus you dont want to be launching on a w58 cus that **** will blow on these cars if you LAUNCH. And true dont listen to people that say u need a r154 on 300whp because thats BS. I know people that had 400WHP and had a w58 that ran strong. In-fact the base kit from DaveH is a 400WHP gaurenteed kit. ACT
Right...but a true 300 horse setup won't call for a 61. And if you're going to go with a small horsepower increase like that it'd be more fun to have it handy from a much lower RPM than 45. ****e I have a 71 with a BIG wheel and it spools at 4500 but I have headwork to allow the car to rev high enough to fully utilize my powerband. I mean how often are you at 4700 rpm on the street? 300hp launches won't make you **** out a w58. The guy could actually go with an internally wastegated turbo...hmmm

XS Power is a no-no and will always be a no-no.
Old 02-21-10, 04:58 PM
cavette
Driver

Okayyy- for a low horse build you'd have to be a complete retard to swap the motor out- especially for a GTE. You do not need A) Oil Squirters B) a better flowing head C) Coil packs. What you do need is a Turbonetics Log style manifold, a 61mm turbo, a map ecu2 or you could even run alphabet soup avcr/afc on that low of a horse build. Upgrade to 550 injectors (Rc Engineering- send them yours and they'll mill them for you- they'll fit your stock rail). Upgrade your fuel pump- even better, buy two densos). Buy a decent small wastegate and a happy sounding blowoff valve, have a local shop do your piping. You won't even need to weld it up at that psi. Hell, you probably wouldn't even need reinforced couplers or t bolts. Free up your exhaust and do an intake. Super-simple. Super-cheap.
Roughly how much would the parts cost for this type of setup, assuming using a 57mm turbo? Any recommendation for an even smaller turbo? And which Precision Turbo turbocharger? Less lag is definitely desirable given it is a 300hp setup.
Old 02-21-10, 05:45 PM
hyjaxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cavette
Roughly how much would the parts cost for this type of setup, assuming using a 57mm turbo? Any recommendation for an even smaller turbo? And which Precision Turbo turbocharger? Less lag is definitely desirable given it is a 300hp setup.
Can do- I say go with Precision because the cost to quality ratio is fandamtastic. You can pull together a lot of stuff used- the manifold, cat-back exhaust, intake, the MapEcu2. You can pull the whole thing off for a little less than 3k sending your injectors to rc engineering http://www.rceng.com/index.aspx or the tt supra 550 injectors http://www.titanmotorsports.com/timoin.html. If you want a turbo that'll fit your needs PERFECTLY go with the Garrett gt2876rhttp://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...R_705330_1.htm. It's good for about 400hp and spools like hellfire. It's much smaller- follow the link for the specs. Or you could go with the gt3076r, the sc50 series or the sc32 series. The Precisions will run you anywhere between $700 to $900 unless you get a good discount. The Garretts are a little pricier.

Last edited by hyjaxx; 02-21-10 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-21-10, 06:54 PM
boostd4
Driver

I've never seen anyone use a T25 based turbo on a 3.0L motor. The backpressure at high rpm has to be UNREAL. You'll need a MASSIVE wastegate to keep from overboosting a T25 exhaust side with 2J displacement. My 2.0L MR2 would creep a GT2860 without issue, I can't imagine what a 3.0L would do. Not to mention, the 2876 is a horribly mismatched turbo.

3071 IMO would be perfect for 300whp with a stock redline (<7k).
Old 02-22-10, 09:41 AM
hyjaxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by boostd4
I've never seen anyone use a T25 based turbo on a 3.0L motor. The backpressure at high rpm has to be UNREAL. You'll need a MASSIVE wastegate to keep from overboosting a T25 exhaust side with 2J displacement. My 2.0L MR2 would creep a GT2860 without issue, I can't imagine what a 3.0L would do. Not to mention, the 2876 is a horribly mismatched turbo.

3071 IMO would be perfect for 300whp with a stock redline (<7k).
2860-2876 are not the same turbo.
Turbine
-Wheel: 53.85mm w/ 76 trim
-Housing: .64 or .86 ar

Compressor
-Wheel: 60mm w/ 62 trim
-Housing: .60 ar

Turbine
-Wheel: 53mm w/ 62 trim
-Housing: .64 ar, .86 ar

Compressor
-Wheel: 76mm w/ 48 trim
-Housing: .70 ar
Follow this link. http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=GRT The GT3076r is a great match-up, externally gated. I think he wants to spend Precision $ so what do you think would suit his needs from them.
Old 02-22-10, 11:03 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 3076 on my 1.7L honda. Spool isnt bad even with that displacement.

Although a 3076 is a bit small for a 2J, it should be a real fun street car....
Old 02-22-10, 04:21 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

XS Power is a no-no and will always be a no-no.
do you have any experience with the product or is that just what you heard?
I think its a great starter kit, and leaves you room and money to upgrade the turbo down the line when you get everything worked out.
I think you're dead on with the Garrett turbos, and I would love to pick up one myself but they cost an arm and a leg.

i drive my setup everyday, its my commuter.. lol. it works great and the craftsmanship is quite good if you've actually ever seen it up close.

and as for smaller turbos, I think thats why some people run a T57 on the automatics.
isnt a t25 smaller than like one of the twins on the supra? that would be silly.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-22-10 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-22-10, 05:00 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Okayyy- for a low horse build you'd have to be a complete retard to swap the motor out- especially for a GTE. You do not need A) Oil Squirters B) a better flowing head C) Coil packs. What you do need is a Turbonetics Log style manifold, a 61mm turbo, a map ecu2 or you could even run alphabet soup avcr/afc on that low of a horse build. Upgrade to 550 injectors (Rc Engineering- send them yours and they'll mill them for you- they'll fit your stock rail). Upgrade your fuel pump- even better, buy two densos). Buy a decent small wastegate and a happy sounding blowoff valve, have a local shop do your piping. You won't even need to weld it up at that psi. Hell, you probably wouldn't even need reinforced couplers or t bolts. Free up your exhaust and do an intake. Super-simple. Super-cheap.

Why don't you clarify price point for us "retards"

Actually...why don't I?

Lets make a comparison and see who the real "retard" is:

1JZGTE swap: $800 from JHOT ($1200 minus $300 for old GE and $100 for auto tranny he is not going to use since hes using his W58)

includes:

Motor/Harness
Auto tranny
ECU
Fuel Pump
Intercooler/Piping
Even extra parts (driveshaft, fusebox, etc.)

Na-T build:

Lets go with the cheapest kit to make things fair:

XS power Kit: $1749
Includes everything you need minus:

map-ecu2 - $300 used
550 injectors- $250 used
Fuel pump- $100
Gauges: You cant expect to tune without gauges right?
wideband gauge- $150
boost gauge- $60
egt gauge- $100

Total comes to $2649 untuned.

Compare that to a 1J that doesn't HAVE to be tuned at $800.

You could argue the cost of the swap, but if someone needs to pay for an engine swap, they will need to pay for a turbo swap and they are pretty much the same difficulty as I have personally done both. And to tell you the truth, I think an engine swap is even easier but thats besides the point.

$2649 VS $800

We "retards" sure have some more research to do....

Last edited by evileagle; 02-22-10 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-22-10, 07:51 PM
hyjaxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by evileagle
Why don't you clarify price point for us "retards"
WHY DO I SENSE THAT YOU'RE ABOUT TO PROVE MY POINT
Actually...why don't I?
UH OHHHH HERE IT COMES...
Lets make a comparison and see who the real "retard" is:

1JZGTE swap: $800 from JHOT ($1200 minus $300 for old GE and $100 for auto tranny he is not going to use since hes using his W58)
I'VE BOUGHT RB'S OUT THE YANG FROM JHOT. GOOD COMPANY. A.)YOU FORGOT SHIPPING...BOTH WAYS. HAVE YOU EVER SHIPPED A MOTOR? CALL AROUND AND GET A QUOTE FOR DROP-OFF AT A RESIDENCE WITH NO LOADING DOCK, ADD THAT TO THE PRICE- THEN SPEAK. B.)DOES JHOT HAVE ANY 1J'S IN STOCK RIGHT NOW...LINK ME TO AN AUCTION OR TO THE PAGE ON THE SITE THAT SAYS THEY DO C.)YOU'RE ASSUMING HOMIE HAS A CHERRY PICKER AND ALL THE TOOLS/TIME TO DO A SWAP. D.)NOW YOU GET THIS 1J...NO WARRANTY ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE LONG BLOCK, RIGHT? THAT MEANS YOU HAVE TO BUDGET IN FOR WORK OR BROKEN PERIPHERALS. I HAD TO REPLACE STUFF ON 2 OF THE 4 I BOUGHT.

includes:

Motor/Harness
Auto tranny
ECU
Fuel Pump
Intercooler/Piping
Even extra parts (driveshaft, fusebox, etc.) I HAVE NEVER KNOWN JHOT TO THROW IN A FREE DRIVESHAFT...OH AND IF YOU TRY TO SAVE ON SHIPPING BY DRIVING TO TEXAS FROM CALI ADD GAS (RENTAL FEES IF HE HAS NO TRUCK) AND THE SALES TAX THEY WILL NOT WAIVE. I TRIED THIS...THEY'RE STAUNCH. AND SINCE WHEN DID THEY ADD A FREE FUEL PUMP? THAT'S NOT EXACTLY ON THE MOTOR.

Na-T build:

Lets go with the cheapest kit to make things fair:

XS power Kit: $1749
Includes everything you need minus:

map-ecu2 - $300 used
550 injectors- $250 used
Fuel pump- $100
Gauges: You cant expect to tune without gauges right?
wideband gauge- $150
boost gauge- $60
egt gauge- $100

Total comes to $2649 untuned.
I THINK I ALREADY BROKE THIS ONE DOWN
Compare that to a 1J that doesn't HAVE to be tuned at $800.

You could argue the cost of the swap, but if someone needs to pay for an engine swap, they will need to pay for a turbo swap and they are pretty much the same difficulty as I have personally done both. And to tell you the truth, I think an engine swap is even easier but thats besides the point.

$2649 VS $800 <----BULL**** #. USE THE SEARCH BUTTON AND RESEARCH THE 1J SWAPS.
We "retards" sure have some more research to do....
...or if you feel like popping your engine out and have the $/means to do it listen to this guy...or look at my build. I dropped buku bucks on an na-t setup and wouldn't have batted an eyelash at pulling the motor if I thought the 1jz would provide me with a.)less headache or b.)a better platform. For your needs- you could def go 1j and be pretty happy with it however comma it will cost you a lot more than what this dude says. I read back and your first post said you're looking for 250-300hp. But I could be wrong...I'm a girl and I basically know nothing about cars.
Old 02-22-10, 08:06 PM
hyjaxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
do you have any experience with the product or is that just what you heard?
I think its a great starter kit, and leaves you room and money to upgrade the turbo down the line when you get everything worked out.
I think you're dead on with the Garrett turbos, and I would love to pick up one myself but they cost an arm and a leg.

i drive my setup everyday, its my commuter.. lol. it works great and the craftsmanship is quite good if you've actually ever seen it up close.

and as for smaller turbos, I think thats why some people run a T57 on the automatics.
isnt a t25 smaller than like one of the twins on the supra? that would be silly.
My friend put one on his RSP MarkIV Supra and blew it. But that's just one person's experience. If you're running one and you like it that's awesome. The turbo's I recommended are quickspool and would be super-fun for the street. Remember we're talking 300hp.
Old 02-22-10, 08:14 PM
Pspice
Lead Lap

im still waiting for someone to sway me to gte or na-t
Old 02-22-10, 08:37 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

wow this thread took a dump
Old 02-22-10, 08:39 PM
hyjaxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
wow this thread took a dump
It's staying on track- the OP should be getting a few different ideas about how he can achieve his goal.

Quick Reply: NA-T -- Is it worth the trouble?