Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

NA-T -- Is it worth the trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 05:35 AM
Wicked SC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pspice
im still waiting for someone to sway me to gte or na-t
No one should have to sway you toward any set up. Everyone has different power goals and intent. Do your own research and you'll be able to make up your own mind on what direction you wanted to go. Good luck!

P.S. My vote is to go NA-T by the way...
Old 02-23-10, 10:30 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hyjaxx

$2649 VS $800 <----BULL**** #. USE THE SEARCH BUTTON AND RESEARCH THE 1J SWAPS.

...or if you feel like popping your engine out and have the $/means to do it listen to this guy...or look at my build. I dropped buku bucks on an na-t setup and wouldn't have batted an eyelash at pulling the motor if I thought the 1jz would provide me with a.)less headache or b.)a better platform. For your needs- you could def go 1j and be pretty happy with it however comma it will cost you a lot more than what this dude says. I read back and your first post said you're looking for 250-300hp. But I could be wrong...I'm a girl and I basically know nothing about cars.

How can you tell me I need to research a 1J swap, If i just finished the damn swap...

ignorance is bliss...
Old 02-23-10, 10:42 AM
cavette
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hyjaxx
It's staying on track- the OP should be getting a few different ideas about how he can achieve his goal.

Thanks Hyjaxx. And yes, I am indeed getting the sense of where I want to go with my project, including simply getting a 2002 6-speed f-body with 300-320hp at the flywheel bone stock.
Old 02-24-10, 05:27 AM
hyjaxx
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evileagle
How can you tell me I need to research a 1J swap, If i just finished the damn swap...

ignorance is bliss...
I wasn't talking to you. I was telling the OP to research the #'s. I've never EVER done a swap that only cost me the price of the motor and I think you're doing homeboy an injustice by making him think that can be done. 1j is a viable option- not for $800. That's just a crock of ****.
Out of everything I said it kills me that you're raging over the one thing NOT directed at you.

Originally Posted by cavette
Thanks Hyjaxx. And yes, I am indeed getting the sense of where I want to go with my project, including simply getting a 2002 6-speed f-body with 300-320hp at the flywheel bone stock.
Ahhh yes! And those are cheap and easy to add go-fast to...fun cars.
Old 02-24-10, 05:48 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cavette

Numerous SC300 owners have told me that NA-T is a nightmare. And pure empirical evidence -- i.e., the fact that too many NA-T people rip out their kits and sell them on this board and others -- does appear to support the notion that NA-T may not be ultimately desirable. In other words, if NA-T was that great, why are so many later taking it off of the car?
The NA-T owners you speak of might remove the kit for financial reasons. You can easily remove the kit and go back to stock if you need to.

Then there's the people who blow their stock motors doing NA-T. I've personally seen a local guy blow at least 3 motors because he doesn't have the right tuning parts or turns boost up too much.

EDIT: I think people assume that because it is a JZ motor they dont need the best tune possible and can do it themselves with a piggyback.

1JZ is a great motor, but you need to realize the limitations of the stock setup.
1. 370cc injectors= You don't want to max these injectors out, so to be safe you should upgrade the injectors for anything more than 330whp to remain near the 80% duty cycle range.

2. Stock injectors are high impedance= high imp injectors aren't cheap. So you either buy the GTE resistor box, wire it in, buy a fuel rail so you can use low inp. injectors which are more readliy available than high imp injectors.
OR you spend about the same total money on some high impedance injectors(usually orered from Japan in larger sizes) which aren't as readily available..boils down to your cost and what your comfortable using. Is it PnP?..etc

3. Stock jdm turbos= ceramic wheels, which have been known to go bad above 14psi depending on how they were treated in their previous life. Some people use the JDM turbos at 17psi daily as well though...it all depends on how they were treated.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the 1JZ swap because it'll do exactly what you stated your goals are.

Last edited by RyanV; 02-24-10 at 06:50 AM.
Old 03-10-10, 02:22 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just went na-t....I havent even been able to drive the car for more than 2 days straight. leak this, tune that, missing this, change that. ughhhh. If anyone wants a 1997 5spd SC NA-T..Let me know..Im really considering scrapping the project.