Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

check engine light on sc300

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-10, 02:16 PM
yetmaaxx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light on sc300

this morning i drove my car to drop off my friend at school and when i drove home suddenly it's on and the TRAC OFF is on too
idk y but it drives normal
so if anybody can give me some advice on this
idk how to read the code too
so yea thx everyone
Old 02-11-10, 02:48 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

If the TRAC off light is on as well with the check engine light, chances are it may be a wheel speed sensor or something with the ABS system. The best thing you can do is go to Lexus or Toyota, pay the diagnostic charge and ask them what the code for the check engine light is. Then take the code they give you and post it on here and then we can help you further in fixing whatever exactly it is. Depending on your year SC, you could also go to your local AutoZone or Aamco and get them to check your check engine light if your car is OBD-II. If your SC is before the year 1995, then you have OBD-I. If it is after 1995, it is OBD-II. If you have OBD-II get it checked for free at the auto parts store like I said and if you have OBD-I you will have to probably get Lexus or Toyota to check it since most places (atleast around here) do not have OBD-I scanners to check these old of cars. I was also under the impression that with the OBD-I Lexus SC's you need a special OBD-I reader/scan diagnostic tool to get a result. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 02-11-10, 02:55 PM
yetmaaxx
Rookie

oh yea it could be the wheel speed sensor or ABS system coz 2days ago in Vegas was raining and while i was driving home i beated the yellow light to make a left turn on to the main street and then the car slide to the left side then right then left and circle lol kinda like drifting, felt pretty good haha. And that could cause those 2 to break or something. My car is 1995 so it's OBD-II huh
well thx for the advise i will let u know what's going on
thx a lot
Old 02-11-10, 03:21 PM
lexdud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yetmaaxx
oh yea it could be the wheel speed sensor or ABS system coz 2days ago in Vegas was raining and while i was driving home i beated the yellow light to make a left turn on to the main street and then the car slide to the left side then right then left and circle lol kinda like drifting, felt pretty good haha. And that could cause those 2 to break or something. My car is 1995 so it's OBD-II huh
well thx for the advise i will let u know what's going on
thx a lot

OBD II? I thought OBD II was implemented in 1996.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 02-11-10, 04:28 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Yeah, what I meant was if it is 1995 and below, it is OBD-I. After 1995, meaning 1996 and up, it is OBD-II. Sorry if I confused anyone.
Old 02-11-10, 09:54 PM
yetmaaxx
Rookie

oh so mine is obd-I then i cant take it to auto zone huh >_<
well i was driving to my friend's house today and suddenly the check engine light disappear haha
did the sensor just slipped away? lol
Old 02-12-10, 01:38 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

My 94 SC300 does the same thing. The check engine light will come on, and then after a couple more minutes of driving down the road it will turn off or go away. It is weird as ***** lol. I need to get mine checked too. But I'm in the same boat as you, I have OBD-I since my SC is a 94 and I had no luck at auto stores around my area. Although, you may have a different experience. Go to your local auto parts stores, ask if they have OBD-I scanners to scan your check engine light and if not, take it to Lexus or Toyota like I said before. I am in the same boat as you with the check engine light though like I said, I just pray every day that it stays off lol.
Old 02-12-10, 02:31 AM
yetmaaxx
Rookie

lol mine is off for a long time already. Is that mean it still has problem or no?
coz i owned a ek before and then it just appeared when i was driving and then i turned the car off and on it was gone so idk man haha. Do u think the problem still there?
Old 02-12-10, 07:43 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Seriously guys - I have posted how to do the OBD-I diagnostic check MANY MANY times on here. A simple search and I am sure you can find it and can pull your own code within a matter of minutes.

As for the light going off - means it is a soft code...

Jonny
Old 02-12-10, 07:52 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Seriously guys - I have posted how to do the OBD-I diagnostic check MANY MANY times on here. A simple search and I am sure you can find it and can pull your own code within a matter of minutes.

Jonny
LOL this is so true. I guess sometimes you gotta just give them a freebie...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance/22890-check-engine-light-code-retrival.html
http://www.troublecodes.net/Lexus/
Old 02-12-10, 08:41 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dx3

Jonny
I'm curious, what is a "soft code"? Because I have this same problem with my CEL coming on/off. Does a "soft code" mean that it isn't something as serious compared to a CEL that stays on ALL the time?