Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

unusual High rpm noise. Sc300 w a 1JZ swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-10, 01:17 PM
addisonblc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default unusual High rpm noise. Sc300 w a 1JZ swap

Okay I bought the car about two weeks ago and everything in the car is perfect. Engine ran/runs like a champ and all electros work. About two days ago I decided to open it up on the highway when I noticed a studerat about 4500 rpm and up if I'm stepping on the gas. If I gradually press the gas up to full throttle I don't get as much engine banter. It feels like some sort of fuel lag and I'm just seeking advice from the know it alls because I'm new to the Lexus/Toyota world.

Specs on the car as far as I know for info purposes:
1JZ twin turbo swap
rebuilt engine
it's completely stock save for an intake Dyi.

If there's some other info that would help let me know. I'm going to get a sound clip to post up for reassurance.
Any help is welcome thanks
Old 02-15-10, 05:09 PM
chiken
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it sound like a howl? If so it sounds like your second turbo just gave in. If the first turbo pulls hard like usual then after transition it flattens out and you have the noise it's either a vacume for the secondary or the turbo itself. Pull the hotpipe off that back one and see if there is a bunch of oil in it.
Old 02-21-10, 10:31 AM
The_Marine
Driver School Candidate

I don't remember if I changed the fuel filter on it, so that's the first thing I would change. You can't go wrong doing that anyway. It does have the BFI intake mod and a gutted cat and free flowing exhaust. Maybe it's running lean under load? Have the fuel pressure checked under load. It's a completely stock 1JZGTE from a 1993 Toyota Soarer. Good luck, treat her right, & post up pictures of her when you put rims on it! I really miss the car, wish I could have kept it!
Old 02-21-10, 03:23 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

The 1JZ turbos work together...

Originally Posted by chiken
Does it sound like a howl? If so it sounds like your second turbo just gave in. If the first turbo pulls hard like usual then after transition it flattens out and you have the noise it's either a vacume for the secondary or the turbo itself. Pull the hotpipe off that back one and see if there is a bunch of oil in it.
Old 02-21-10, 07:40 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

The studder could be slight misfire which would be common plug gap and plug issue. What sparkplugs are installed?

There is a soundclip of what bad turbos sound like on mkiv.com I believe.
Old 02-22-10, 03:26 PM
The_Marine
Driver School Candidate

I highly doubt that the turbos are going bad. I'm the one that did all the work on the car. The engine and turbos were in really good shape when I got em, and I've religiously maintained it. I also never ragged on it. As far as spark plugs go, it's got the regular NGK plugs gapped to .38 if I recall. Not to sure, I know they come pre-gapped, but I did verify it before I installed new plugs. That was only roughly 3,000 miles ago.
Old 03-19-10, 07:07 PM
addisonblc
Pole Position

sup fellas. changed out the fuel filter today. that was a mess and a half lol but anyway the noise and effects are still there. i hooked up a boost guage to it yesterday to see what it was doing and from the looks of it, it builds up to about ten pounds then drops off while still under full load. you can feel the power drop off when it starts to studder
Old 03-19-10, 07:20 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

pick up a new set of NGK 6097's and gap them to .28, this should fix your issue, I had the same issue.
Old 03-20-10, 08:16 AM
addisonblc
Pole Position

alright awesome. ill do that as soon as possible. sucky thing is my battery took a dump on me yesterday and wont hold a charge anymore. ive checked the atl and the fuses and most of the wiring just in case but everything pointed to it and sure enough its a dead one lol
Old 03-25-10, 03:25 AM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Automatic trans?
Old 03-25-10, 12:29 PM
addisonblc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BigManne
Automatic trans?
nope 5spd.....

well i took out the coils and the sparkplugs to day to get a good look at what im dealing with.... and ive got quwstions lol

all the plugs looked like this...not really too bad but still...you could see where there was a water build up and what not...

everyone of um its crack along its neck like that and all of them are cracked at the base slightly.

questions are ...

1 do most of the coil packs have these small cracks and do they effect it any kind of way?

2 why does my cars rpms rise and fall when its a cold start..... 700rpms to about 1000rpms rinse repeat for about 2 minutes...
Old 03-25-10, 12:37 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It looks like you need some new coilpacks to start.

Check the ECU, does your cabin smell like S#### while do driving?
Old 03-25-10, 04:53 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Buy a new set of 2jzgte coil packs from Jeff Watson at Champion Toyota.

What you can do with these coilpacks for now is buy some electrical tape and wrap the **** out of the plastic parts that are cracked. This is a common issue known to cause running problems too.

What are you saying about 'water' I can't tell what you are talking about...
Old 03-26-10, 11:18 PM
addisonblc
Pole Position

oh it just looks like there was some water build up in a few of the spark plug tunnels....and there was a bit of rust build up on the thread of them. so new spark plugs 2jz coilpacks and it should be runnin good again....

(((Check the ECU, does your cabin smell like S#### while do driving? )))
na inside of the car smells just fine...ive got a bit of back fire every now and then but othere than that its okay
Old 03-27-10, 08:22 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The_Marine
it's got the regular NGK plugs gapped to .38 if I recall. Not to sure, I know they come pre-gapped, but I did verify it before I installed new plugs. That was only roughly 3,000 miles ago.
Didnt catch that before. Doublecheck the gap then let us know what it is.

Buy some ngk 6097 plugs as well.

If you wrap the coil pack stems with electrical tape you might be ok until you get new coils.

Quick Reply: unusual High rpm noise. Sc300 w a 1JZ swap