Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cam Specs...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-02, 02:09 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff, can the HKS cams for the GTE be used on the GE with some work? I know you can use the HKS GTE cam gears once the distributor is gone, is it the same deal with the cams? Haven't heard that, just curious, i'm assuming you're sticking with the GTE short block and GE head. And that's a good point about proven products, but it can also be cool when you're the first guy on the block with the new standalone and have some slips to back it up. I'm the first kind of guy, like you. Bean would definitely be the second kind of guy. Off the dyno and into the spray booth yet? Scott, who's doing the port work for you?
- Jon
Old 06-02-02, 02:51 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm doing all the porting myself on the intake and exhaust manifold, turbo flange, etc. A local machine shop is porting the head. The guy doing the work does a lot of domestic big block dragsters, and has a few 2JZ valve jobs under his belt, but he's by no means an import expert.

In order to do the HKS cams, you'd have to custom fabricate the distributor drive gear on the exhaust side or get rid of the distributor altogether. Getting rid of the distributor also allows more clearance for a big turbo- a side benefit.

The Crower re-grind option seems viable, but we'll have to just wait and see how it stacks up. As far as I know, Ethan and I are the only ones trying out the 270 int / 268 exhaust setup.

What is even more interesting is that AEM has just installed some cams for comparison, and the higher lift cams actually put out more midrange torque when combined with the AEM ecu. The AEM+HKS cams beat the stock baseline from as low as 2500rpm all the way up to the redline, with a huge advantage up top. Seems like ECU tuning is the key to avoid losing torque when running a bigger cam profile.
Old 01-08-04, 05:07 PM
snacks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Specs?

Great detail on the Crower cams. Does anyone have the OE IS300 cam specs?
Old 04-09-12, 06:26 PM
92lexi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i hate bringing things back from the dead. but i was just looking into getting regrinds done on my 92 sc300, when i turbo it. I will either be running map ecu or AEM havent decided which yet. any more information on it. i would be keeping my dizzy