Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fuel Pump Not Turning On

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-10, 06:28 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you don't want to put a relay in there if its not working yet. your just adding complexity.
If its not working with the regular 12V mod, I can almost gaurantee you it will not work with the relay, cause the relay only turns on when the output from the fuel pump ecu is live.
you could run a relay off the ignition I suppose, but if your switched 12V line that supplies your fuel pump ecu isn't turning on, I doubt the fuel pump is the only issue your gonna see.

if you did the 12v mod without the relay, as in bypassing the fuel pump ecu by connecting the 12v wire and the fuel ecu output wire together, the pump should be on with the key in the accessory or on position, the engine does not need to be on/cranking. so put the key to on and test for voltage at the fuel pump ecu on the wires you soldered together. thats where I would start.

when did you do the 12v mod, before or after the 1jz install??
maybe you got the wrong wires...

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-01-10 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-03-10, 08:43 AM
SC2JZ300
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
you don't want to put a relay in there if its not working yet. your just adding complexity.
If its not working with the regular 12V mod, I can almost gaurantee you it will not work with the relay, cause the relay only turns on when the output from the fuel pump ecu is live.
you could run a relay off the ignition I suppose, but if your switched 12V line that supplies your fuel pump ecu isn't turning on, I doubt the fuel pump is the only issue your gonna see.

if you did the 12v mod without the relay, as in bypassing the fuel pump ecu by connecting the 12v wire and the fuel ecu output wire together, the pump should be on with the key in the accessory or on position, the engine does not need to be on/cranking. so put the key to on and test for voltage at the fuel pump ecu on the wires you soldered together. thats where I would start.

when did you do the 12v mod, before or after the 1jz install??
maybe you got the wrong wires...
5 Wires....

Green w/ Silver Stripe
Silver
Black and red w/ silver stripe
Black and red( 12v mod)
Green(12v mod)

I definently did that correctly and I do need to test the ECU to see if it is getting full power. And I did the 12v mod during the 1J swap. The car turned on and ran perfectly before the swap was done.
Old 03-03-10, 09:55 AM
attzor
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the grounds on the back of the fuel pump, that was the issue with my car, had a loose bolt on the fuel tank that the fuel pump was grounded to.
Old 03-03-10, 05:01 PM
SC2JZ300
Lead Lap

With a voltmeter how do I test the FP ECU and wiring which holes do I put my prongs in?
Old 03-22-10, 08:22 PM
SC2JZ300
Lead Lap

So I ran a relay and the pump is still not turning on. Help.
Old 03-23-10, 01:28 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

is the pump bad? is the relay wired correctly?
basically... ignore the color labels.
Old 03-23-10, 09:34 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

check for power at the 12v wire which goes to the fuel ecu. the one of the 2 you had to splice to do the 12v mod (not the one going to the pump). if your'e not getting power there you need to figure out why.
Old 03-23-10, 10:13 PM
SC2JZ300
Lead Lap

check for power at the 12v wire which goes to the fuel ecu. the one of the 2 you had to splice to do the 12v mod (not the one going to the pump). if your'e not getting power there you need to figure out why.
Yeah basically I just checked that with a voltmeter. And Im not getting power from the green wire. So what now? I am getting 11.5-12v on all the other wires going into the fuel pump.

Relay is wired up just like that.
Old 03-24-10, 10:21 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

theres a 12V wire that goes into your fuel ecu (lets call this input), and then theres an 9-12V wire that goes from the fuel ecu to the pump (lets call this output). I don't remember the colors.

If you don't have 12V at your input wire, something is very wrong.
You have to have the input wire connected to the fuel ecu for the output wire to work at all, so if you disconnected it (when you put your relay in) the output wire won't work.

if you take the input wire and connect it to the output wire and bypass the ecu, Thats the 12v mod and it gives your pump 12V when the key is on.

If you stick a relay in there using the input wire as a trigger, you still get the same exact operation out of your fuel pump as the 12V mod, and are unnecessarily complicating things.

If you leave the input wire connected to the fuel ecu, and use the output wire (9-12V) as a trigger to your relay, then you will have retained all the safety features of the fuel ecu without the dual voltage (because the relay always gives 12V when it detects an output on the output wire).

I would recommend going back to the basic 12V mod if you cannot diagnose the problem with the relay in the puzzle, it will be much easier like I suggested 23 days ago.. lol

I have a feeling you may have gotten the input and output wires mixed up. whichever one of the 2 thick wires that has 12V with the key on and engine off, will be the input wire. the output wire will not show any voltage unless the engine is on or the starter is engaged.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-24-10 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-24-10, 10:39 AM
SC2JZ300
Lead Lap

theres a 12V wire that goes into your fuel ecu (lets call this input), and then theres an 9-12V wire that goes from the fuel ecu to the pump (lets call this output). I don't remember the colors.

If you don't have 12V at your input wire, something is very wrong.
You have to have the input wire connected to the fuel ecu for the output wire to work at all, so if you disconnected it (when you put your relay in) the output wire won't work.

if you take the input wire and connect it to the output wire and bypass the ecu, Thats the 12v mod and it gives your pump 12V when the key is on.

If you stick a relay in there using the input wire as a trigger, you still get the same exact operation out of your fuel pump as the 12V mod, and are unnecessarily complicating things.

If you leave the input wire connected to the fuel ecu, and use the output wire (9-12V) as a trigger to your relay, then you will have retained all the safety features of the fuel ecu without the dual voltage (because the relay always gives 12V when it detects an output on the output wire).

I would recommend going back to the basic 12V mod if you cannot diagnose the problem with the relay in the puzzle, it will be much easier like I suggested 23 days ago.. lol

I have a feeling you may have gotten the input and output wires mixed up. whichever one of the 2 thick wires that has 12V with the key on and engine off, will be the input wire. the output wire will not show any voltage unless the engine is on or the starter is engaged.
I may have my wires mixed up.
Old 03-24-10, 11:51 AM
SC2JZ300
Lead Lap

So im back to the 12v mod. No relay. Now what?
Old 03-24-10, 12:11 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure the pump isn't bad?
Old 03-24-10, 12:23 PM
SC2JZ300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HeisLegend
Are you sure the pump isn't bad?
Switched from the stock SC pump to the TT pump.

The stock SC pump was working before the swap. The TT pump was bought used but from a reputable seller who said it was working when pulled.
Old 03-24-10, 03:04 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Ideally without that input wire connected to anything, you should verify it has 12V with the ignition on. if it does, do the 12v mod.

now if you mysteriously have no voltage in that line anymore, your pump is bad or wired incorrectly. its pretty much as simple as that.