Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1UZ with tranny swap.. or 2JZ TURBO???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-10, 03:20 PM
sc4demon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

by this june im planning on doing a full exhaust with magnaflows 2.25 inch with rush import's long tube extractors/headers and then a tune and i wont be doing any more performance modding anytime soon...it should be pretty beasty afterwards

If you have the money you can make the 1uz faster than the 2jz..but its really pricey and your right about custom work...alot of supras are starting to swap in 1uzs now...but the 2jz is a lot easier and cheaper..so it all depends on what goal you are trying to achieve

Last edited by sc4demon; 02-26-10 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-26-10, 04:16 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cino21
fellas here it is... i'm not trying to start a thread to see which is more beneficial b/c i'm sure there is one...just personal opinions

Originally while searching for my SC, i was planning on going 2JZ Turbo, the real decision was 2jz NA-T or 2jzgte swap...now after driving around with the mufflers off on the 1uz to allow people to hear this bad boy engine, i've grown attached to this engine (2 days of driving lol )

i'm gonna stop by mvp motorports or dynosaur here in tx to get some input from them as either shop will be doing the build

and if i do decide to keep the 1uz, i still would love to go turbo b/c i'm aiming for 500-600 whp, but it would prob cost a few more dimes, not pennies lol to boost the 1uz compared to the 2jz... let me know what you guys think

THANKS!
So you're ready to spend 5 or 6k, but you won't spend a couple hundred for an exhaust system, so insted you're running around with no mufflers

Originally Posted by WDoherty
its going to take more than 6 or 7, more like 20 grand to handle the 1uz boost and transmission needs
You're joking, right?!
Old 02-26-10, 05:38 PM
cino21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc4demon
by this june im planning on doing a full exhaust with magnaflows 2.25 inch with rush import's long tube extractors/headers and then a tune and i wont be doing any more performance modding anytime soon...it should be pretty beasty afterwards

If you have the money you can make the 1uz faster than the 2jz..but its really pricey and your right about custom work...alot of supras are starting to swap in 1uzs now...but the 2jz is a lot easier and cheaper..so it all depends on what goal you are trying to achieve
let me know how it works out for you as far as sound and whp/tq...

goal is 400-500whp daily, and have a 600-700whp tuned map for when i really want to tear the road up... but i want to start with 400whp until i'm comfortable and ready for the setup
Old 02-26-10, 05:43 PM
zhillz
Lead Lap

How much HP can you expect from a built NA 1uz?

They have high compression pistons available along with heads now and ITBs.
What about that with the 4.7 block? I eventually would like to build mine and be around 400whp na.
Old 02-26-10, 05:44 PM
cino21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
So you're ready to spend 5 or 6k, but you won't spend a couple hundred for an exhaust system, so insted you're running around with no mufflers
lol i just got the car, and took the mufflers off the next day to see what it would sound like, but yes i am going to do it right and have an exhaust built when we hollow out the cats
Old 02-26-10, 09:23 PM
WDoherty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS FONZy

You're joking, right?!
not joking, ask anyone on here who has turboed an sc400 and the cost's, custom manifolds (needs custom intake manifold as well to breath well), two turbos, forged internals (several grand), can't just slap an hg on there like a 2jz and lower compression, engine management (no standalones plug straight into 1uz), v160 (4-5K), transmission adapter 2k, etc, etc
Old 02-26-10, 11:07 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

supercharge the 1UZ, convert to R154 5-speed. tons of power, not much $$. Prolly have have it INSTALLED for $6k or less. Spend the extra $1200 on a standalone and do more timing, and watch the power grow.

Jeff
Old 02-27-10, 08:53 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WDoherty
not joking, ask anyone on here who has turboed an sc400 and the cost's, custom manifolds (needs custom intake manifold as well to breath well), two turbos, forged internals (several grand), can't just slap an hg on there like a 2jz and lower compression, engine management (no standalones plug straight into 1uz), v160 (4-5K), transmission adapter 2k, etc, etc
Lol... FYI, you don't need forged internals or a V160/161 etc... The 1UZ is good up to 400-450hp with stock internals, so yeah, a simple remote mount turbo kit and problem solved! Also, boomslang makes harnesses for any car and they have made them for cars with 1UZ engines, so what are you talking about? Etherway, you don't need a harness to hook up a standalone, you can simply tap into the ecu dirrectly.

Originally Posted by zhillz
How much HP can you expect from a built NA 1uz?

They have high compression pistons available along with heads now and ITBs.
What about that with the 4.7 block? I eventually would like to build mine and be around 400whp na.
They are no ITB's for 1UZ's with VVT, so in his case that is not an option.

Look up Lextreme, he swapped a 2UZ short block into an SC.

Last edited by GS FONZy; 02-27-10 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-27-10, 10:36 AM
cino21
Pole Position

^^ Thank you all for your input.. my best route seems to be swapping a usdm 2jzgte/or n/a-T.. i'm gonna enjoy the 1uz for a little bit while i dress up the sc with some rims and body kit.. prob auto couture or vertex.. and then boost time w/ a tranny swap!!

ordering the megan racing coilovers tonite
Old 02-27-10, 02:09 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cino21
^^ Thank you all for your input.. my best route seems to be swapping a usdm 2jzgte/or n/a-T.. i'm gonna enjoy the 1uz for a little bit while i dress up the sc with some rims and body kit.. prob auto couture or vertex.. and then boost time w/ a tranny swap!!

ordering the megan racing coilovers tonite
Sounds like a good plan , waiting for pics
Old 03-28-10, 02:56 PM
sc4demon
Lexus Test Driver

how is this project going
Old 03-28-10, 03:46 PM
cino21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc4demon
how is this project going
it's never a stable process lol... finished the exhaust system, check out the vids on my other posts.. we were installing the coilovers yesterday, KSPORT COILOVERS instead of MEGAN.. but had issues with the spring compressor so i'm gonna call up dynosaur performance to install hopefully this wednesday

and next is tranny swap and gears, i dont know if i stated early..i am keeping the 1uz and plan on boosting it..turbo or supercharging..UNDECIDED ...

Last edited by cino21; 03-28-10 at 03:51 PM.