Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New owner of sc400: stock handling questions? normal or problems??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-10, 10:41 AM
snowfox444
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New owner of sc400: stock handling questions? normal or problems??

Im very sorry if there is a related thread to this, but aI searched this forum with various keywords and the internet and still haven't found an answer yet..

I just bout my 95 sc400 automatic less than a week go. it feels as if it pulls to the right sometimes when i am on the highway or rolling through town around40 mph... when i hit a pothole, crack or bumps in the road (remember, Im from MAINE .. the roads are very S***Y here!) the car feels as if it might start drifting; kind of a wobbly rocking feel. I had another garage I trust which is triple A certified do a used car look-over and an oil change and said that the rear left side strut is leaking oil and doesn't necissarily need replacing at the moment, but it will sometime become anissue. I have a 30 day inspection warranty and having it replaced at dealerships expense today, but I was wondering if this handling is normal for his car? (being i never driven a rear wheel drive V8 sports car before) Im used to driving v6 front wheel drive vehicles..

Also, what could i do to have BETTER handling in the snow? The tires are good.. I just fishtail at very low speeds even with only a dusting of snow and the tires just spin!!!

Any upgrades, brands, modifications ideas welcome!

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!
Old 03-02-10, 04:07 PM
ynotlex
Driver School Candidate

Welcome to the SC family. If miantained properly these are still the best cars arround. What you are describing is NOT normal handling for these cars. There is either some issue with your tires or other part of front suspenion system. Have you had the alignment checked? I would check the tires and get the alignment done right away.

If everything is workig properly and you hace performance tires then you will feel every deperssion and bump in the road. Other more expert folks may have more advice for you..
Old 03-03-10, 07:21 AM
Neucorp
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed.

1. Alignment and tire wear check.
2. Bushings (Rack, LCA, UCA) check.
Old 03-03-10, 07:42 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would check for any play or cracks in the above bushings, and also check your strut mounts, sway bar links, and your ball joints on your lower front control arms.
Old 03-03-10, 07:54 AM
Neucorp
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

^ Good point.
Old 03-03-10, 02:53 PM
snowfox444
Driver

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Neucorp
Agreed.

1. Alignment and tire wear check.
2. Bushings (Rack, LCA, UCA) check.
the place where I had bought the car had already did the alignment and did the front breaks.. I took it to a well respected and personally trusted garage to have it looked over for inspection safety and used car look over where all they said it needed wasa rear right strut which I took it in today to have replaced.. if the bushing was going, how would I be able to tell? it still has the pull and is still feeling like im could lose control when I hit the bumps especially going over bridges and there are LOTS of them..

PS. How do I know if I have performance tires or not? I dont believe I do, but a friend of mine said they look good... also, what size wheels are they originally and what is the biggest size rim you could rit on it? just curious..
Old 03-05-10, 09:39 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search function is your friend.
I would begin with a thorough check of the front bushings, the ones on the rear of the lower front control arms are very prone to failiure, best solution is Supra turbo replacement arms IMO. I would check out this before spending time and $ on any alignment.
Maintaining these cars most often takes the form of improvements/modifications, and that is very much going to follow your own personal tastes, driving style. For example, when refurbishing the suspension, do you picture the car bone stock/factory, or sports/road racer, or lowrider w/airbags, etc.

Search...