Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What turbo should i go with???

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-10, 04:41 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obviously the topic of cheap turbos has been covered, hehe.

BUT, you ask about what size turbo to go with?
Well, it's only appropriate to ask what your cars future is set up for? Drag car? Drift car? AutoX? Daily driver w/ some get up and go?
Do you want quick spool and good power curve or a laggy setup and big power?
Old 03-07-10, 07:24 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's a bit laggy though
Old 03-07-10, 08:22 PM
snomanlex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're on a budget of about $600 I'd recommend an XS-Power T61. If your not worried about a name brand you'll be fine. Good spool up, decent price, and as long as they are properly lubricated you will have a turbo that will last just as long as most standard journal bearing turbos. This turbo is perfect for the street and occasional weekend drags. And with proper supporting mods its capable of 500-600hp.

After years of spending silly amounts of money on turbonetics, garrett, precision.........I don't see the need to spend 1000 plus for a turbo anymore. I don't have any more assurance knowing that I have a Garrett under the hood or an XS-Power. Just don't go too cheap. I've done some turbo cars that the people really went cheap and you can just tell its rubbish. As far as the replica companies go, stick with XS.
Old 03-07-10, 11:30 PM
kleen1JZSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snomanlex
If you're on a budget of about $600 I'd recommend an XS-Power T61. If your not worried about a name brand you'll be fine. Good spool up, decent price, and as long as they are properly lubricated you will have a turbo that will last just as long as most standard journal bearing turbos. This turbo is perfect for the street and occasional weekend drags. And with proper supporting mods its capable of 500-600hp.

After years of spending silly amounts of money on turbonetics, garrett, precision.........I don't see the need to spend 1000 plus for a turbo anymore. I don't have any more assurance knowing that I have a Garrett under the hood or an XS-Power. Just don't go too cheap. I've done some turbo cars that the people really went cheap and you can just tell its rubbish. As far as the replica companies go, stick with XS.

Thanks man i was actaully looking at them and the prices were really good and i read a few reviews about them and they were pretty damn good, i would love to go with a precision or turbonetics but i really dont have the cash to afford that right at the moment....Thanks alot everyone for the imput so far im really just trying to beat my buddy 2002 S281 Saleen mustang cause he just brags non-stop about his car
Old 03-08-10, 05:50 AM
jonboyb
Driver

The Master Power T70 mentioned earlier is a hard deal to beat. I think they can be had under $600 brand new. Old technology but they get the job done. Never run one personally on a JZ but on the old Mitsu 2.6 G54b's they do a fine job. I've driven ATTZOR's car with it and while it's a bit laggy (but he's so rich down low I think that's delaying spool) it has some serious top-end punch.

Over the past few years I've run Precision and Turbonetics exclusively since they are cheap to rebuild. Seal kit and install by Precision was $195 on the last one I sent in (SC63). If you find a killer deal on a used one....don't let it scare you as long as the shaft and blades are still good. Although I recently put together a car using the Garrett Balistic dual BB cartridge and I must say that is a different animal completely. If they weren't $2k.....I'd run them on everything It was a GT3065 on a 2.0 4G63 and the ramp time was just wicked (seriously.....like nothing to full boost in 200 rpms).....like hitting a 400 shot of nitrous.

Last edited by jonboyb; 03-08-10 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-08-10, 10:43 AM
velella
Driver

ive had 3 xs power turbos on my last 3 cars, very reliable for me, and spool is pretty decent. for your price range you cant beat it! ive seen them brand new for 300 on the forums, of people that bought the kit and sold the turbo to upgrade it. you cant beat the xs for the price!
Old 03-08-10, 12:34 PM
kleen1JZSC
Driver

I wanted to go with a T-61 for a faster spool and i heard if i go ball bearing they are hard to rebuild and super expensive to rebuild
Old 03-10-10, 12:44 AM
RjBLayz
Lexus Test Driver

Yo Sergio thanks again for the hook up on emissions. Keep us posted on what u do with your single
Old 03-10-10, 06:55 PM
kleen1JZSC
Driver

Originally Posted by BlayzSC4
Yo Sergio thanks again for the hook up on emissions. Keep us posted on what u do with your single
Thanks man no problem!!
Old 03-10-10, 07:10 PM
v135
Rookie

Check out neukin.com this guy is amazing and great at drifting too....placed top 15 in nationals i believe..maybe not, i cant remember.