Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ashtrays NA-T problem/help thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-10, 03:16 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

have you thought about getting a vpc or maft pro or e-manage.
basically anything that will eliminate your maf.
Old 03-24-10, 03:16 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing has an open hole or a missing vac line. Everything is covered up and good. maybe installing my catch can will have an effect on it.

edit: nope havent thought of it at all. its crossed my mind but right now i have no money.
Old 03-24-10, 07:13 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I circled the 3 hoses im talking about.
Hose 1 goes from the intake pipe on the left into a magical hardline on the left of the engine. this hardline goes to the right side of the engine but you can't see it. on the right side where it comes out, hose 3 goes from there to the ps reservoir. then hose 2 goes from there to the intake manifold.

everyone removes hose 1, but if thats all you do and leave hose 2 and 3 in place, you will have an intake leak.
What I did was remove all 3 hoses and then used the free port on the manifold where line 2 connected for my bov or whatever vac stuff you want to run.

now you still have to address the 2 vac nipples on your ps reservoir. I just capped mine off because the valve still works, but OLT came up with a good solution of just removing that whole valve and putting a plug in there. that'll make sure it never leaks. I haven't notice a difference while turning, If anything it seems to be more responsive. Much better than a vacuum leak
Attached Thumbnails Ashtrays NA-T problem/help thread-ps-vacuum.jpg  
Old 03-24-10, 07:17 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

K right now i know that line 1 is connected to the intake pipe still. Let me go check on 2 and 3 and ill edit. I cant remember.

edit: K just checked...all the lines are plugged, nothing is open. From line 1, 3 goes directly to the PS reservoir and im currently using line 2 which goes to the manifold for my boostgauge.

double edit: going to get CEL checked out. and buy fuel line for my catch can.

Last edited by ashtray; 03-24-10 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-24-10, 08:21 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

So for the second trial run*since the battery died had to do test drives again to let ecu relearn* it acted strange...it would take off real rich then go lean and then it fix itself, Im thinking thats just the position of pedal. when I got home I let it idle and after being lean for a while, it started to go rich. It stayed around 15.5-6(when lean) then went to 13.7-8(when rich) and around that area. the exhaust wasnt smoking but I did get a few pops while downshifting and or just letting off the gas...some of the pops were one right after the other but that only happened once. I got the codes checked out and it was misfire in cylinder 5. I bought fuel line and a T fitting so I can have 3 lines in total running to the catch can. 1 from the intake pipe, the crankcase and the PCV. One question, how do I cap the hole on the manifold after running a line from the PCV to the catchcan?
Old 03-25-10, 10:05 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

Car is running real crappy. On take off it just shakes like hell and then does so in every gear. I can literally see all my mirrors trembling. The afrs are so indecisive. At one stop light they'll be rich as hell and at another they'll be lean or perfect. Any gas I give it and it just shakes, makes lots of noise but feels like it aint going anywhere. Im losing hope yet again.
Old 03-25-10, 01:17 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

your ecu got confused, it happens alot when starting out.
something probably threw it off while it was learning in closed loop. try moving your low tps % up in like increments of 5 or 10 and reset. so give 50% a shot and see what happens, then 60% and so on. you need to find your cars sweet spot.
Its ok to be a little lean in transition to boost (what increasing the low tps will affect). just make sure by the time you hit 2-3 psi you are at least in the 13 afr range and climbing.

the popping isnt a big deal, the factory decel fuel wont work as smoothly as it used to, which can cause that. cylinder 5 and 6 misfires can be related to when the egr comes one or a sign that the ecu is confused.

to cap that hole you simply get a large vacuum cap or use that vacuum source for something else. at one point in time I had my boostgauge running off that spot, but I went back to the factory setup after I got a map sensor setup.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-25-10 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-25-10, 02:38 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
your ecu got confused, it happens alot when starting out.
something probably threw it off while it was learning in closed loop. try moving your low tps % up in like increments of 5 or 10 and reset. so give 50% a shot and see what happens, then 60% and so on. you need to find your cars sweet spot.
Its ok to be a little lean in transition to boost (what increasing the low tps will affect). just make sure by the time you hit 2-3 psi you are at least in the 13 afr range and climbing.

the popping isnt a big deal, the factory decel fuel wont work as smoothly as it used to, which can cause that. cylinder 5 and 6 misfires can be related to when the egr comes one or a sign that the ecu is confused.

to cap that hole you simply get a large vacuum cap or use that vacuum source for something else. at one point in time I had my boostgauge running off that spot, but I went back to the factory setup after I got a map sensor setup.
K great Ill just reset her with tps 50-80. As for the popping no biggie, just worried it might have been something big. I might use that hole as a boost gauge..Something tells me Im not gonna be able to get rid of this damn misfiring crud.
Old 03-25-10, 03:04 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

it should go away once everything is right. its ancient technology so its not very forgiving.
Old 03-25-10, 03:13 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

That made me laugh out loud lol. Not very forgiving indeed.
Old 03-25-10, 04:53 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope you figure out your issues so you can enjoy that beautiful ride of yours.
Old 03-25-10, 11:44 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by soarer13oy
Hope you figure out your issues so you can enjoy that beautiful ride of yours.
I deeply appreciate that. Currently Im feeling kinda down cause it still aint finished but I know that SOON! it will be. Thanks I hope so also.
Old 03-26-10, 06:16 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Quick update. Removal of charcoal canister should begin tonight along with installation of oil catch can. Then other safc stuff will altered. Just trying to get the absolute best settings.
Old 03-29-10, 04:55 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Well now I have random misfire in all cylinders...no smoke from the exhaust but it smells like gas and the car trembles. When Im just cruising its like its pulsating. FML.

edit: If and when I take all the na-t crap out..will the car ever be like normal again?

Last edited by ashtray; 03-29-10 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-29-10, 07:15 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

are you boosting at all or just driving it around its bad? you sure you reset the ecu fully?
you will have to undo a good amount of things to go back to stock, but it can be done.
may want to look into something better than an safc.

try putting your low tps % really high like 80% or so and reset. you can always back it down later.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-29-10 at 07:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Ashtrays NA-T problem/help thread