Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ashtrays NA-T problem/help thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10, 09:34 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i let it reset for like 5 or 6 minutes..and nope i havent boosted at all. I dont care what it takes to get back to stock im really just hating this nightmare. if i had money trust me...id just send it to the guys at boostlogic and say "here you go, have fun" lol
Old 03-29-10, 09:54 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somebody help ashtray solve this issue! Its depressing to see all this go nowhere.
Old 03-30-10, 12:01 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you should have dejackey come play with it, isn't he local to you??
I don't get how it was working before your battery dies and now its not again.
you could try putting the maf in front of the turbo. some cars like that better.

its not like you have to spend a ridiculous amount to get rid of the safc. for not much more at all you could get better management like a map ecu or even the maft pro your friend is using. Its really worth it, proper engine management should be factored into your na-t expenses before you even start. you *should* be able to run it on the safc though, not really sure why its having this much trouble.

Edit: maybe you should undo the catch can/evap if it worked better before.
is it possible you missed a vac line or something.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-30-10 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-30-10, 12:09 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

I think I've decided to just scrap this project. I feel like it was half assed or something, no offense to anyone who helped me with it. I think I'll just get back to NA and then save up for a PROPER na-t set up or maybe even a swap. Plus it's just so difficult to get anyone down to Laredo who could help me.
Old 03-30-10, 02:35 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtray
I think I've decided to just scrap this project. I feel like it was half assed or something, no offense to anyone who helped me with it. I think I'll just get back to NA and then save up for a PROPER na-t set up or maybe even a swap. Plus it's just so difficult to get anyone down to Laredo who could help me.
dont scrap the project .. you have come to far with it

my suggestion.. for a na-t to run correctly and consistanly , you must go standalone .period... piggybacks will constantly change tunes on you and off boost driving is a nightmare

i have a friend here in miami , acleansc , remember him , its over 4yrs running a unopened ge motor so stock compression using a pt66 turbo at 15psi making 440rwhp .. motor has over 175 k on clock and been running strong since day 1 , secret , aem tuned

nuff said
Old 03-30-10, 03:15 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yup, it makes a huge difference with a good tune.
11 psi on my old safc setup pulled like garbage. the 9 psi i'm running with the aem blows it out of the water. I heard about your friend running that setup lexforlife. may have to swap my spring out for a few more psi before dropping the headgasket fund.
Old 03-30-10, 03:55 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Unhappy

Lol I ain't got 2gs for a standalone plus getting it tuned. Just no way no how:'(
Old 03-30-10, 05:37 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

you can get an aem fic for like 100 more bucks than an safc 2 and people run really nice setups on these things. More than enough to get you started on the right track. its still a piggyback but thats not the worst thing if you are odb2 (which you are). you can also use one of these to trick the stock computer into not learning and not throw emissions codes. all for 300 bucks and maybe + a few sensors you can shop around for.

good reading:
http://my.is/forums/f114/aem-f-ic-my...w-pics-347266/
Old 03-30-10, 06:02 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

I really dont have the time or money to continue trying to fully diagnose this car and get it back on the road. My main focal point now is getting it back to NA..just waiting on turbodremz to fill me in on how to undo the safcII. You gotta understand me guys...Ive been in tears the past few nights because of all this...it kills me to give up on a project that I anticipated for so long. Im a college student taking 17 hours music major. I got in over my head and Ive learned from experience...dont skimp out on an NA-T project..go all the way or go home. I thank everyone for their input and care towards my project.
Old 03-30-10, 07:42 PM
Holtspeed
Driver

Sad to see it go like this been following this the whole time but best of wishes hope mine goes smoother kinda scares me..lol.... i have safc2 also
Old 03-30-10, 08:00 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by d32
Sad to see it go like this been following this the whole time but best of wishes hope mine goes smoother kinda scares me..lol.... i have safc2 also
Goodluck. You are obdI it should be smoother.

Thanks for the sorry.
Old 03-30-10, 09:47 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Man i got the headers off it was a pain. Gotta go to a muler shop and have them remove the last bolt connecting the midpipe and the cat. Such a pain i spent hours trying to remove it. The bolts were so weak they all stripped.
Old 03-30-10, 10:00 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

No don't give up man. Do like "Ali sc3" said and try moving the maf in front of turbo also do a full boost leak test, that should insure any vac leaks as well. Hate to see you give up.
Old 03-30-10, 11:24 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Carlos if you scrap the project your going to regret it horribly. After talking to a few people over on club na-t I have come to the conclusion that the safc is what's giving you issues. Ody had the same exact problems with his na-t supra sold the car and is regretting it now..you don't need a full standalone, like Ali said go with the FIC or use the maft pro, both have shown and been proven to work excellent with odb2 vehicles and they are fairly cheap and easy to use and eliminate the key problem with tuning odb2 cars which is the maf. IF you can hold off for a few more weeks and get an maft pro and map sensors I can help you get it installed and setup and if you want we can do an egr delete to eliminate some of the usless junk under the hood...don't give up on it, I haven't, just been busy with work and trying to get my car done...hold out for a bit, save some cash and sell the safc2 and we can go from there...sound like a deal?
Old 03-31-10, 05:23 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ashtray
Lol I ain't got 2gs for a standalone plus getting it tuned. Just no way no how:'(
i hear you loud and clear and i have read the below replies and i will say this .. i too was obdII , i also tried using a piggyback for 1yr .. it was a map ecu so i converted it to map based and got rid of maf .. no matter how it was tuned it was a nightmare .. one day car ran okay another day cel , limp mode etc etc .. the off boost driving was all over the place and the transition from vac to positive boost always left a very very lean area where the car would buck... i was constantly on my laptop trying to make small adjustments for the obdII ecu is a full learning ecu and kept adjusting long/short term fuel trims on me which in the end can and will grenede the motor with timing now being all over the place..

a few more hundred spent now could very well avoid you having major eng troubles down the road costing you more in time and money ..na ecu no matter what piggy back still has zero ref for positive boost as it relates to timing .. sure you can alter the fuel supply in open loop here and there but timing is just as critical if not more critical and just relying on the +/- 10% if that adjustments of oem knock sensor to pull timing when going into boost is very dangerous

a standalone is the only way it going to drive like stock out of boost , start the same everyday , cruise the same every day and deliver a solid tune in boost thats motor safe .. many who run piggybacks on the forums will only quote you the positive side but rarely ever reveal the dark truth of the ugly side with the inconsistent tune and things changing here and there that affect really overall how well the car drives

Quick Reply: Ashtrays NA-T problem/help thread