Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DIY Tire Well Harness Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-11, 01:30 PM
Oxford
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently did mine, just make sure you unplug everything from inside the car. Things went pretty smooth for me, and no need to cut and solder wires.
Name:  IMG_1147.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  71.9 KB
Name:  IMG_1155.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  74.8 KB
Name:  IMG_1156.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  75.9 KB

As far as the airbag wires (yellow smaller wire harness) I did not mess with it at all, if anyone has or has tips let me know.
Old 10-08-11, 07:48 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Does anyone know what the red/white wire (assuming power to some device) is in the driver side harness. I was looking in my fender the other day and saw it was rubbed through so the previous owner messed with it and relocated before I bought it but apparently didn't repair it.
Old 10-10-11, 10:09 AM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Oxford
I recently did mine, just make sure you unplug everything from inside the car. Things went pretty smooth for me, and no need to cut and solder wires.

As far as the airbag wires (yellow smaller wire harness) I did not mess with it at all, if anyone has or has tips let me know.
After reading this thread yesterday, I went out side and relocated mine. It took me less than an hour to do it was really easy and straight forward.
I too am very concerned about the airbag harness. Has anyone ever had an issue with the tire rubbing through it? I just feel like it should be relocated also, so someone please chime in on the matter!!!
Old 10-10-11, 11:50 AM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

It will rub through, especially after the rubbing breaks the clips off the frame and the wire just sags down onto the tire. Your safest bet is probably to just tuck it up. To reroute it, I had to extend all 4 (2 on each side) by about a foot and a half or so. keep in mind, I have an aftermarket steering wheel, so whether or not that extension affects the functionality of the airbag or not, I'm dead in a crash anyway.
Old 10-10-11, 03:58 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my tires ate both air bag wires.
Old 10-10-11, 05:37 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ArodDaLob
It will rub through, especially after the rubbing breaks the clips off the frame and the wire just sags down onto the tire. Your safest bet is probably to just tuck it up. To reroute it, I had to extend all 4 (2 on each side) by about a foot and a half or so. keep in mind, I have an aftermarket steering wheel, so whether or not that extension affects the functionality of the airbag or not, I'm dead in a crash anyway.
OK thanks for the info I kind of figured they would need to be relocated, but was kind of hoping not oh well thing # 1,000,000,001 to do on the list.

Originally Posted by topdog849
my tires ate both air bag wires.
So yeah relocation is a must, Thats kind of what I thought........thanks for the input.
Old 10-10-11, 06:08 PM
peelsSC300
Driver

Did this yesterday, just in time too. Tire was just starting to eat the plastic.
Old 01-06-12, 12:43 PM
chargerfan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

bookmarked
Old 01-09-12, 02:55 PM
herrajdm
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys i am having a hard time unplugging the wires. Any tips for pulling them out easier?
Old 01-09-12, 04:50 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by herrajdm
Hey guys i am having a hard time unplugging the wires. Any tips for pulling them out easier?
If your talking about the ones from inside the car you they are a "PITA", but if you just take your time kinda remember how the plugs release if you cant see them you can feel them and before you start yanking make sure the little tab is pushed in. Mine were a bit of a pain, but I was able to finesse them out, then once there loose pull them out one by one. Oh yeah there is one that has to be unplugged that's located under the carpet just fold back the foot rest and you should be able to see it. just follow the diy in this thread and you'll be fine . Hope this helps.
Old 01-09-12, 06:42 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I need to do this again on my 95 that I just got. I did it on my 97 and it was very easy. However there was no airbag wires in the fenders of the 97. I noticed there is on the 95.
Old 01-09-12, 07:09 PM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

woo. I know what I'm doing my day off this week
Old 02-05-12, 02:18 PM
95sc300na
Driver School Candidate

Just did this relocation on mine only took me around an hour and a half pretty easy really!! Only problem I'm having since relocation is now my lights on the doors or the little light under dash isn't working and also the ect/power light isn't working when I flip the switch??? I check the switch to make sure is was plugged in by the shifter and it was!! Anyone else have these problems
Old 02-24-12, 10:43 PM
Dustin2JZ
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95sc300na
Just did this relocation on mine only took me around an hour and a half pretty easy really!! Only problem I'm having since relocation is now my lights on the doors or the little light under dash isn't working and also the ect/power light isn't working when I flip the switch??? I check the switch to make sure is was plugged in by the shifter and it was!! Anyone else have these problems
Did any wires gut pulled or cut?
Old 02-29-12, 12:13 PM
chrisindub
Pole Position

Default Relocated my harness yesterday

It's been about a week since my drop, so i relocated my harness yesterday.

Followed the initial instructions for accessing the harness, left the wheel on to save time, removed the fender lining, removed the white plastic surround around the wires and tossed it.

Took all the connectors off the airbag wires, hood cable also.

Taped all the wires together using four layers of vinyl electrical tape

Left the hood wire, the airbag wire separate.

Drilled a few holes for zip ties to go through higher up in the fender well in the metal. Farther to the left side of the car, the outer fender well space if you can picture that.

Then routed all the wires through this higher location, with like 20 zip ties for insurance, zip ties wear out and break.

bent one piece of metal up to give another 1/2 inch clearance for the tire

re-installed fender liner

done.

Thanks so much to everyone who posted about this, all your help is much appreciated and all the posts from people who f'ed up their harnesses really lit a fire under my a*# to do this early, so for that I thank you!

As always, club lexus comes through again.

Quick Reply: DIY Tire Well Harness Relocation