Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Repair costs reasonable??? Your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-10, 04:57 PM
booga
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Repair costs reasonable??? Your thoughts

I am having the following repairs done to my 93SC300

Timing Belt - Replace
Serpentine Belt - Replace
Cam Seal - Fix smal leak around cam area
Valve cover oil leak - Change valve cover gasket and associated cause of leaks in the area.
Spark plug/distributor wiring - replace

$700 for the above work

Radiator - replace - pay for part only since the above wrk is already in there as much as $150.00 for a used radiator

Last edited by booga; 03-16-10 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-16-10, 05:19 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends. Is this a professional operating out of a reputable shop and offering a warranty on the work, or is this just a guy with greasy hands at the no-name corner gas station or working out of his garage? (there's a difference) Are the part costs included in the $700?

Also, you might want to think about it a bit. How many miles are on your car?....is it likely to need a water pump soon, or a front crank seal? What about the other cam seal? Great time to swap those too; like he said about the radiator, they involve a lot of the same labor just to get to them! I know money is tight, but sometimes you can save money by doing things smart too. Ask about the other items too.

If you are at all mechanically inclined, you can do your serpentine belt and plug wires yourself, they involve much less skill to do and can be accessed without as much labor (and skill) as the other items.
Old 03-16-10, 05:30 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check the dealer price as well, because they charge about $95/hr which is what most 'greasy corner' shops charge too.

The waterpump should be replaced around 100k
Old 03-16-10, 05:32 PM
booga
Pole Position

Good2go,

Good point.

Some more details.

It is with a reputable shop referred to me by a Toyota Mechanic who advised me that the dealer mechs are currently very busy with the recall. The Mechanic at this shop was a Toyota dealership mechanic. All work done is with a warranty.

The price does include parts. I will verify that it is using Toyota parts, which judging from his background I expect it to be.

He did also say replace other seals in addition to the cam seal leak he pointed out, but I did not catch what was mentioned.

I try to educate myself about my car, but the SC I picked up about 1 month ago. The last car was an Integra, which from observation was a much simpler car to work on.

Thank you for your feedback.
Old 03-16-10, 05:33 PM
booga
Pole Position

RyanV,

I will ask about the waterpump when I get there today.

The dealership gave me a quote of $900 for just the valve cover gasket and the wiring.
Old 03-16-10, 06:46 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you could do all of that yourself using DIY threads here on the forums, and spend HALF of that and have it all done in 1 day...
Old 03-16-10, 08:39 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

those arent difficult things to do for most mechanics, if he was recommended by someone you trust and has a warranty it may be worth a try, especially if you find out they are good. 700 for all of that is a decent price. make sure you do replace the waterpump when you are in there, it doesnt cost much more to do generally and you don't want to repay all that labor if it goes out on you.
Old 03-17-10, 11:48 AM
booga
Pole Position

This includes waterpump replaced.

So far I get the impression that he is hooking me up with a good price since I was referred by a friend of his.

I dropped off the car yesterday in Lawndale, CA. As I talked to him by the driveway of the shop, and SC300 drives by - SC300's get my attention everytime - and the driver waives at the mechanic standing by me. It became apparent that the SC was worked on by the shop. I feel good about this shop. He is active in another forum for Toyota's which I hope to introduce him to this forum as well.

Originally Posted by booga
I am having the following repairs done to my 93SC300

Timing Belt - Replace
Serpentine Belt - Replace
Cam Seal - Fix smal leak around cam area
Valve cover oil leak - Change valve cover gasket and associated cause of leaks in the area.
Spark plug/distributor wiring - replace

$700 for the above work

Radiator - replace - pay for part only since the above wrk is already in there as much as $150.00 for a used radiator