Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

need help! idle drops.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-10, 11:15 AM
simplgreen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help! idle drops.

hey guys so i was driving lastnight, and all of a sudden my needle drops. it didnt die out but was about to. when i step on the gas the needle will go up but wont really get anywhere. then when i let go, the needle goes down to where itll almost die. has any of you guys experienced this? and were you guys able to fix it? im getting some new wheels, it would suck if this is something serious.
Old 03-23-10, 12:36 PM
SC400SAIF
Rookie

check your vacuums
Old 03-24-10, 01:42 PM
simplgreen
Pole Position

i checked n theyre all good.
Old 03-24-10, 01:49 PM
BSC300TT
Lead Lap

maf..........?
Old 03-24-10, 02:32 PM
simplgreen
Pole Position

do you guys think the alternator would have something to do with it?
Old 03-24-10, 04:55 PM
BSC300TT
Lead Lap

how are the lights?
Old 03-29-10, 10:16 PM
derekhale
Driver School Candidate

do you have a high idle at cold start?
Old 03-29-10, 10:48 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its your idle air control valve. a stepper motor that bypasses air past the throttle body to give your car enough air with the throttle body closed to run. located on the throttle body held in by 2 screws. take it out and spray some carb cleaner on it. i bet its getting clogged with sludge
Old 04-02-10, 02:14 AM
simplgreen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by topdog849
its your idle air control valve. a stepper motor that bypasses air past the throttle body to give your car enough air with the throttle body closed to run. located on the throttle body held in by 2 screws. take it out and spray some carb cleaner on it. i bet its getting clogged with sludge
ill try this out, do you have a pic of where the screws are exactly? or is it easy to see?
Old 04-02-10, 09:19 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by topdog849
Originally Posted by rhsc400
ill try this out, do you have a pic of where the screws are exactly? or is it easy to see?
I think it bears mentioning that those screws are ridiculously tight (loctite actually) and are commonly stripped while removing them. Do some searching for the DIY somebody wrote up about cleaning the IAC. It included info about changing them for some allen head screws. If you're not prepared to replace them, at least remove the TB first and remove the screws with the TB sitting on a bench where you can get an optimal attack on them. Be sure to use a use a good, properly sized screwdriver.
Old 04-03-10, 05:01 PM
simplgreen
Pole Position

cool thanks, ill keep thsnt in mind. but do i have to take off the tb to get to the iac?
Old 04-03-10, 05:08 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Technically, NO. It is accessable on the car....but as I said above, if you remove the TB first and then remove the screws with the TB sitting on a bench where you can get an optimal attack on them, your less likely to strip them. It's your call.
Old 04-08-10, 01:34 PM
simplgreen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by good2go
Technically, NO. It is accessable on the car....but as I said above, if you remove the TB first and then remove the screws with the TB sitting on a bench where you can get an optimal attack on them, your less likely to strip them. It's your call.
So I cleaned the IACV. It was dirty! But it still does the same thing! Any other suddgestions to what it may be? I can't believe this all started with a pot hole.
Old 04-10-10, 01:49 AM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rhsc400
So I cleaned the IACV. It was dirty! But it still does the same thing! Any other suddgestions to what it may be? I can't believe this all started with a pot hole.
make sure you replace the bearings or spray wd40 on the old ones. it makes one hell of a big difference. i cleaned my iacv without replacing the bearings or spraying the bearings. i did this for a couple weeks-a month and the iacv would run fine one day then the next it would get stuck and my car wouldn't start unless i step on the gas. so i decided to spray wd40 on the bearings and it never got stuck and cars been running fine for 2 weeks str8 now. me is happy!

and for the screws. it's not that tight. you just need the right screw driver and wd40.
Old 04-11-10, 03:25 PM
simplgreen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by grindin8o8
make sure you replace the bearings or spray wd40 on the old ones. it makes one hell of a big difference. i cleaned my iacv without replacing the bearings or spraying the bearings. i did this for a couple weeks-a month and the iacv would run fine one day then the next it would get stuck and my car wouldn't start unless i step on the gas. so i decided to spray wd40 on the bearings and it never got stuck and cars been running fine for 2 weeks str8 now. me is happy!

and for the screws. it's not that tight. you just need the right screw driver and wd40.
I did exactly what you did. What else do you guys think it would be. I'm running out of ideas.

Quick Reply: need help! idle drops.