Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

EMS Decisions 99 Na-T

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-10, 06:26 PM
That-Guy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so down the line you plan on making enough power to necessitate 1000-1600cc injectors, yet you want to put a budget of 400$ on a control unit for this entire setup... i guarantee you that once you're in that power range, a standalone is not only more capable than a piggyback but it is 100% a necessity. If you want a solid build with the potential to raise your power down the line then do NOT skimp out on buying a good ems
Old 04-05-10, 07:48 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I found a deal on a used AEM FIC but it doesnt come with the CD. Is there anywhere I can get that from. The AEM site I cant seem to find.
Old 04-06-10, 08:10 AM
attzor
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC51
So I found a deal on a used AEM FIC but it doesnt come with the CD. Is there anywhere I can get that from. The AEM site I cant seem to find.
www.aemelectronics.com ? If you type in aem fic to google it's the first link

I'd listen to That-Guy, seems like you keep ignoring ever post he makes.
Old 04-06-10, 08:32 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

rx7 red ones are 550cc
Old 04-06-10, 12:39 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And Please EMS don't waste you time and money on Piggybacks please.
I would not install 1000cc injectors on a piggyback it's won't make any sense seriously save your money you will be happy with it.
Old 04-06-10, 01:03 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Well I went ahead and ordered Lucas 750cc injectors and a Brand New AEM FIC, Well see how it goes.
Old 04-06-10, 03:25 PM
That-Guy
Pole Position

best of luck
Old 04-07-10, 07:49 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

If you arent going full stand alone get the F/ic , I called and spoke with the tech's at MAP ECU and they told me NOT to use it on OBD2. OBD1 and OBD2 are COMPLETELY different, there is a reason IS owners dont just use a SAFC because unlike OBD1, OBD2 will compensate and fight the tune and freak out if something is changed making the car run like total CRAP. so you basically have to trick the ECU into thinking everything is stock. However OBD2 does have benefits such as you can run 4-5psi untuned safely on the stock ECU, also the OBD2 maf works well in blow thru unlike the OBD1 maf.

RX7 injectors are 550's but youll have to convert to an OBD1 fuel rail. your Best bet is to just buy some new ones from precision, then youll know they are flow tested and will be the size you need. You cant go big unless you are running a full standalone, the piggy backs like the FI/C cant "turn them down" enough to make the car run right, if using a piggyback i wouldnt go higher than 550's. The stock 330 injectors will get you close to 350whp 440's will get you 450whp etc... You can squeeze a few more by cranking up the fuel pressure.

EDIT: SEND BACK THE 750's AND GET 550's...... the F/ic wont be able to reduce the duty cycle enough on those 750's to make the car run youll just dump too much fuel. IF you ever get to the point of needing bigger than 550's youll be in the 500+ whp range and then youll be spending BIG money on new/built trannys/stand alone etc.... and you can get whatever size you want then but for right now its overkill and WONT WORK.

If you have questions let me know i did all the work on mine so i know more about OBD2 NA-t than most on this forum, paco has the car now so he can tell you how good it runs, its been NA-T for almost 10k miles and driven daily without any CEL's or other issues.

Last edited by IOWNALEXUS; 04-07-10 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-07-10, 09:19 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

98+ actually dont even have 330s they have 280s, thats why my car drives decent as of now with the CEL on and FPR cranked.

As for the FIC ,I read FIC could handle up to 200% larger injector than the stock rating. The equation is [(new injector size - old injector size)/old injector size]<= 2

So if you have 280cc injectors stock, 840cc is the max.

So I should be good with the 750s.
Old 04-07-10, 09:45 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

NO Those will be too big, but what the hell do i know ive only built the car and used the software already. Its 200% total +100% or -100% so if you take 280cc x 2 = 560cc MAX, so like i said the 750's are too big so send them back and order the 550cc's or i guess you are one of those people that has to learn things the hard/expensive way......... i dont know why you are dead set on having injectors that are WAY too big that youll never need to use...... Do you think youll really see 800rwhp out of your NA-t???? NO because not one part of it is capable of supporting that power so why the hell would you buy overkill injectors that can, if you ever reach that power level injectors are the last thing youll be worrying about.
Old 04-07-10, 10:01 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

haha..not saying ya didn't build and tune, just simply stating the information that I find out, Ive had lots of experience building high HP cars its really hard to believe that you can only run up to 550s doesn't it? When I know for a fact some IS3 guys are running 850s on the FIC daily.. and if you read my earlier post the bottom end will be change out and will be putting down some big numbers so slow your roll buddy thanks.
Old 04-08-10, 03:35 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

OK Mr. know it all,
Do whatever you want, i couldnt care less. You came on here asking questions and looking for advice obviously because you didnt know what you were doing and were looking for help, then when people offer it you refuse to listen and rebut with some hearsay you read on "tha intranets" NO ONE is running 850's with only a piggy back on the stock ECU and daily driving the car LOL!! The reason you cant go bigger than 550's RIGHT NOW is because you cant pull enough fuel out.... at -100% 750's will still flow 470cc at STOCK fuel pressure which will be too rich at idle and drown the car out because the stock ECU is still running them like they are 280cc injectors and you cant change the tune on OBD2 at idle because the ECU will fight it, You need the AEM to pull the 550's back at idle and trick the ECU into thinking its running stock size injectors and then compensate with the extra fuel as needed when boosting. BUT LIKE I SAID, WHAT DO I KNOW??? You're gonna learn this lesson the hard way and ill be the first one with the "I TOLD YOU SO" when you post the inevitable "my car wont run right, its too rich and has a CEL, OBD2 sux" thread.

And you dont need to change the bottom end out to make power either just pistons/rods, there have been cars with 800whp on a GE block....... You will need a new intake manifold though because any turbo making "big power" wont clear the stock GE manifold.
I guess you should also go ahead and order a $6000 tilton tripple carbon clutch now so when you blow that auto into pieces you can do a V160 swap to hold that 1000whp monster.

Last edited by IOWNALEXUS; 04-08-10 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-08-10, 07:52 PM
Trevstuh
Lexus Test Driver

lol thanks for sharing that info bro i'll get me some 550's soon.
Old 04-08-10, 11:08 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

^so if all that is true 470cc isnt bad on a huge turbo forcing more air in even at idle. And if there was a rich condition at idle you could adjust the fuel pressure down a little. I mean rite now with no management im boosting 7psi 10.9-11.5 a/fs WOT without any problems car drives excellent, I just fooled computer(old school way) and really turned up the fuel pressure, 2K miles with it this way and its pretty quick.
Old 04-09-10, 12:11 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC51
^so if all that is true 470cc isnt bad on a huge turbo forcing more air in even at idle. And if there was a rich condition at idle you could adjust the fuel pressure down a little. I mean rite now with no management im boosting 7psi 10.9-11.5 a/fs WOT without any problems car drives excellent, I just fooled computer(old school way) and really turned up the fuel pressure, 2K miles with it this way and its pretty quick.
So . . . your turbo boosts at idle ?

Quick Reply: EMS Decisions 99 Na-T