Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Na-t she woke up this morning

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-11, 07:16 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by quickGS300
I ran 9.8CR on my SC with 19lbs and no problem.

I ran 9.2 at 21lbs again no problem lol.

Lexforlife (ED) ran 19 lbs on 9.2 CR and no problem so far, Alpha tuned his car and Alpha recommended TT HG over the BL 2.5mm.
He went thru couple BL2.5mm.

Stay tune for the new setup.

If you don't mind me asking are you thinking about na-t near the future? i am just asking....
i actually had a nice NA-T setup planned for last summer, had my car running nicely NA on e85 with a Haltech PS2000 EMS (using the distributor and sequential injection), and i had my head rebuilt/surfaced by a local machine shop and they messed it up, so i just got fed up and parted out the project and ended up doing a stock 1jzgteVVTI swap into my 92 SC 5 spd. i recently sold the car and i got this nice 99 that i've been thinking about doing and NA-T setup with.
if you're asking because of my tuning comments, i've had/built/tuned several single turbo RX7s with haltech/powerFC/microtech EMSs, which is much more tedious (and dangerous, haha) than piston engine tuning so i'm interested in your setup and your tuning

Last edited by cartmill; 01-26-11 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-26-11, 07:46 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn i remember you lol, i was going to buy the Haltech from you but i think the guys "carfreak" end up buying it lol.

It sounded like you were thinking about na-T near the future haha, but it's all good, but with the VVTi i would replace the bottom end with a non VVTi ge block if you are thinking more than 450 rwhp just to be safe.
The VVTi head will raise the CR on the non VVTi ge block, the VVti Head with the non VVTi ge block will bring the compression around ~9.8 something close to that.

E85 with stock compression will be alot fun and power for street use.

Last edited by 99SC42; 01-26-11 at 10:50 AM. Reason: error
Old 01-26-11, 09:24 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

looked it up it was running a max of 13-14 deg towards redline at 22 psi load.
the next load up at 25 psi was completely untuned and had 5.55 degrees from 0-8000rpm.

I agree that the vvti head on the ge block raises the compression vs using the ge head. If you can stand using e85, then that would make a sick setup indeed.
For pump on that setup you could always go a little thicker than a TT gasket (1.3mm) maybe somewhere around 1.7-2.0mm , I think the 2.5mm is overkill for just about everything, Omar tried it out and he didn't like it very much.
I couldnt imagine dropping the compression much more on mine (regular ge with a TT gasket) unless I was only using the car for drag racing or something.
Old 03-08-11, 06:56 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

"AliSC" it's a shame that you won't be able to go for a ride or get to see the SC when it's all done and tune
I have been ordering parts left and right, i still can't make up my mind on the Turbo but will see what i can come up with by the end of the week.
Old 03-08-11, 07:44 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm looking forward to the latest iteration of your project man. Hurry up!!
Old 03-08-11, 01:47 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Thanks i will keep yall posted, right now i am just working on the interior, exterior, suspension.

i will be picking up the engine this weekend, and hopefully it looks good.

I called Joshua to se if he could help me with wiring the VVTi solenoid so i get to keep it but no luck, So maybe someone on here can help me .
I called Toyomoto and their phone is no good, i called them because they make a patch harness for the IS300 to run AEM EMS 30-1100 so i was thinking they might be able to help me but no luck, so i am kind of stuck on using my na-ge non VVTi head......

As for the clutch i am still saving $$ for tilton clutch, don't know if i wanna take a chance on the WOTM Single disc clutch that's rated for 1000hp because i don't wanna pull this motor back out till next year maybe for a built block.
I think i got everything else covered.
Old 03-08-11, 04:22 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by quickGS300
^^ Thanks i will keep yall posted, right now i am just working on the interior, exterior, suspension.

i will be picking up the engine this weekend, and hopefully it looks good.

I called Joshua to se if he could help me with wiring the VVTi solenoid so i get to keep it but no luck, So maybe someone on here can help me .
I called Toyomoto and their phone is no good, i called them because they make a patch harness for the IS300 to run AEM EMS 30-1100 so i was thinking they might be able to help me but no luck, so i am kind of stuck on using my na-ge non VVTi head......

As for the clutch i am still saving $$ for tilton clutch, don't know if i wanna take a chance on the WOTM Single disc clutch that's rated for 1000hp because i don't wanna pull this motor back out till next year maybe for a built block.
I think i got everything else covered.
Im gonna be in VA the weekend of the 25th. I will come help you out with whatever you need. I was doing some research a while ago on the vvti stuff. you just use one of the outputs on the aem, let me see if i can dig up the info on it. But I know how much boost you like to run man so maybe stick with the non-vvti head cause you dont want that cam to start moving on you when that big turbo is all spooled up.
Old 03-09-11, 06:36 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Please let me know on the VVTi hook up to the AEM i would love to keep the vVTi and just have my cams regrind +QSV it's will be fun and i won't have no problem spooling that turbo.

What suspension do you have on your car? i want the same drop on my car.. i really don't wanna buy coilovers unless i have to because i won't be raising and lowering the car back and forth.
i like the way you car sits the front is lower and the back is little higher it reminds me off josh from FSM SC300 the silver one i have been looking for the pics of that car and i can't seem to find the pics, i want my car to sit just like that.

Check your Pm.
Old 04-04-11, 01:13 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

I know it has been a while good new got new motor in yesterday, and this was the first time i have ever drop a motor in by myself and i was using the long TT mounts and they are not flexible so it was almost gonna but it took me about 35min to do it by myself.
Thank you Scott for the motor one off the cleanest 2JZ ever no sludge no gum, I has a new WP, TB, cam seals, so all i had to do was replace the valve cover gaskets and Distributor o ring, new timing belt tensioner and new crank pulley.

So i pulled the carpet and the passenger side was burned up from the heat of the dP and Turbo all the ABS connectors and wires were almost melted and the engine bay was all dirty and stuff but i give it a nice bath.

Still don't know what turbo i am going to do i still can't make up my mind...

The interior is going in today,depend on how tired i get after work but the car should be done by this weekend coming up.
Old 04-04-11, 01:30 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Nice to hear you are making progress on it bro. Do you just swap the JZ out for the UZ every year for inspection or what? Seems quite the hassle...
Old 04-04-11, 01:50 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks it's a long story bro...

My tag got suspended because of emissions which i passed 2 days after i bought the car, but they can't find it in the system that i passed and i can't find the sheet...
This should be my last year with emissions related stuff i will be getting the "historic" tag soon and i won't have to worry about it.

So is yours coming along? i know you were having issue with the twins ..
Old 04-04-11, 02:10 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Oh I hear ya. Historic tags ftw

I pulled my motor yesterday. The smoke turned out to not be the twins after all. Going to do a bottom end refresh on it. I have blow-by, cold start rattle, and of course the smoking, so I guess doing it now is better than waiting for it to spin a bearing.
Old 04-05-11, 10:05 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

stockhatch, say it ain't so!!!
Old 04-05-11, 10:15 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

It is so, my friend These evil things have a way of finding me unfortunately LOL.
Old 04-05-11, 10:17 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

well make sure you measure (plastigauge) and buy each appropriate rod and main bearing. i dont trust the aftermarket style bearings that supposedly crush.

Quick Reply: Na-t she woke up this morning