Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Advice on Lowering Fuel Pressure (Big Injectors/Turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-10, 05:39 AM
jonboyb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Lowering Fuel Pressure (Big Injectors/Turbo)

My car runs 95lb injectors (1000+cc) and a 76mm turbo. Dual Walbro 255 pumps. The factory Supra manuals state static fuel pressure of 33-44 psi if I remember correctly. The car only has a BCC/FCD/ and Apexi SAFC Neo at the moment and runs/drives excellent (and with my high gearing gets 30+ on the interstate). Obviously the piggyback systems aren't really capable of controlling injectors this big but it's what I have to work with currently. I'm in the process of going AEM V2, but until there are some success stories with people running the direct coil option I'm not willing to jump on-board.

Anyways, I have my fuel pressure at 34psi and like I said the car runs and drives excellent (in fact I'm pretty much DD'ing it). My only issue is in the 12-17 psi boost range where I just go over-rich no matter what (wideband pegs 10:1 which is as low as it goes.....and there's obvious spark blow-out and missing from too much fuel). Above 17 it leans back out to an acceptable 10.5-11:1 (still richer than needed but again the Neo is maxed at -50%) and pulls HARD, but I don't want to run that kind of boost on straight pump gas. If I were to drop the fuel pressure another 4 psi or so....I think I could make the car pull clean in the 12-17 psi boost range.....but I don't want to lose atomization from too low of fuel pressure. Anyone ever run a static fuel pressure of 28-30 psi and did you encounter any problems?
Old 04-15-10, 05:42 AM
jonboyb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And before anyone states the obvious....I know my best bet is putting in smaller injectors, but I hate to buy a set and put them in for the short term only to throw the 95's back in when I'm ready for AEM