Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc300

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-02, 03:07 PM
Twirl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc300

im looking at an sc300 with 118k miles on it, 5spd, looks to be in good condition, but i have a question, w/o puttin turbo in it, how quick can i get this car? im looking for like quarter mile times, and some hp. numbers, any1 know? and what products would get me there, i know the toyomoto set-up can get you to around 400-450 rwhp, but that's like 5.5k not installed and im only 16 so i don't have that kind of money,,, im looking to turn a few heads while riding in style, (the style and comfort is what im looking for) but i heard mid to low 14's or 15's with a good driver stock???? any1? b/c i would like to head to the races at night, and get some good runs in, while breaking a few fools off, any info would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-11-02, 03:23 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

The SC300 is a perfectly respectable car stock. I could recommend an electric fan upgrade to replace the stock clutch drive fan. This will free up some energy used to turn that thing when it is engaged. I'm not sure what those run - the one on my car is a flex lite. The previous owner installed it. Along with a cone filter/maf adapter, and s-afc that I have to tune properly. The car drives very well and I want to take it to the strip but not until I do more checking up on it - work takes too much of my time.

You can open the exhaust with some custom piping out the back to some dynomax/magnaflow cans or I've always liked greddy but that will cost more. There are some cheap and effective ways to open up the intake with a cone or a bfi that you can find info on with a search.

Good luck.

Oh yea - can't forget the clutch.

Last edited by awj; 06-11-02 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-12-02, 01:36 PM
Twirl
Pole Position

Default swap??

about how much would it run to do the supra tt swap and 6spd trans ???? both those will fit in the sc300 right? i know it will in the 400, but i was just making sure it did in the 300, so if it does, about how much would a used one cost??? whats the engine code ??
Old 06-12-02, 02:21 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

You said you were not looking for a turbo. The supra tt is a twin turbo motor. The engine code is 2JZ-GTE. The cost is comparable to simply putting a stage 1.5 turbo kit on your current motor if not more. Unless you have the ability to do this yourself. Then you might luck out on a deal somewhere. I've seen a rebuilt gertrag 6 speed at supra forums for $2,000 with an exchange. Expect up to $9,000 for the tranny. If I were to turbo, wich I really want to do badly, I would turbo the existing 3liter 2JZ-GE and get the same potential out of it for less money but it is going to co$t. It will not be cheap.

Yes, the 2JZ-GTE bolts directly in to the bay. The wiring harness is different - but not too much from what I understand. The tranny will require a custom driveshaft if I remember correctly. Probably $11 - 15,000 if you find some bargains. Then there are the performance upgrades - man, I hope you got a healthy trust fund or something.
Old 06-12-02, 04:41 PM
Twirl
Pole Position

well see i was think for later later later, b/c the car im looking at now is a 92 with 118k miles on it and i don't wanna put a 7g turbo in there with like 200+miles i was thinking, instead of buying a new car, to get a new motor, and keep the same car, but sounds like not a good idea, im trying to get a good daily driver and a car to break some fools off on the weekends, but lexus's are so expensive in the power depo. and the way to get real power outta them in the toyomoto kit, and that's around 7k... these are such confusing times... maybe ill just go with a yugo, can you make the sc300 5spd pretty quick w/o a turbo?? and i know if u do that, then when u put the turbo in you have to change some things to fit with the turbo, like exhaust and what not... so humph,,,,
Old 06-13-02, 07:49 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good running 5spd SC300 is Integra GSR quick right out of the box... Not too shabby, can hang with 4.6L and some 5.0L Mustangs (pre 260hp).
Old 06-15-02, 12:37 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup... and don't put magnaflows on it... they really restrict the exhaust too much

if you want a GOOD sounding exhaust, replace the catback with a custom exhaust... either a single like mine; and add a silencer... or do a Y-pipe with a single silencer into two mufflers... (dynomax ultraflows or other straight-through mufflers would be good)

the exhaust sounds incredible and puts to shame ANY V8 in smoothness and exotic sound

ever heard a SupraTT with an exhaust? thats what a SC300 sounds like with an open exhaust (without the turbo of course)