Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tt ffim

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-10, 05:49 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm, Im not 100% sure if there is a difference with the VVTI runners but dont see why there would be. Is the upper ffim section from a 2JZ or 1JZ? No I wish I did have some pictures though, cause they were so close to matching it was almost like it was meant to be.

This really has me scratching my head as to why it would be so different from mine..
Old 05-07-10, 06:28 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The vvti runner and the Non VVti are identical. I am using a non VVTi lower, the VVTi upper and non VVti Y plenum the bolt right up.
Old 05-07-10, 06:45 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by quickGS300
The vvti runner and the Non VVti are identical. I am using a non VVTi lower, the VVTi upper and non VVti Y plenum the bolt right up.
ok so that clears that up...but now Im even more confused as to why its not lining up.
Old 05-07-10, 06:57 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next question is it a JDM or USDM plenum?
Old 05-07-10, 07:01 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pipe
Next question is it a JDM or USDM plenum?
jackpot..didnt even think about it. Im pretty sure the upper I have is from an Aristo, but I will have to double check on that..can anyone verify that the USDM and JDM uppers are different just so we can clear all of this up..
Old 05-07-10, 07:06 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think they are different lol.
Old 05-07-10, 08:40 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

ok, im going to do some searching around.

SC51, do you happen to know what your manifold came off of? USDM or JDM? Im going to see if I can find out exactly what my manifold came off of so we can get this cleared up and get you squared away and get your FFIM installed.
Old 05-07-10, 08:52 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turbodremz ok, im going to do some searching around.

SC51, do you happen to know what your manifold came off of? USDM or JDM? Im going to see if I can find out exactly what my manifold came off of so we can get this cleared up and get you squared away and get your FFIM installed.
Says its for a 93-98 GTE JDM says comes without egr port, but yet mine has something on the bottom ill have to plate over..egr? I have read that you can tell a difference because of a vacuum port too, can't recall. I mean worst case I'll just make a thin adapter plate and port that. doesn't seem hard.

^also didn't you get the 5th bolt to line up with a different type bolt for middle section, cause as you can see mines far from close.
Old 05-07-10, 09:49 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC51
Says its for a 93-98 GTE JDM says comes without egr port, but yet mine has something on the bottom ill have to plate over..egr? I have read that you can tell a difference because of a vacuum port too, can't recall. I mean worst case I'll just make a thin adapter plate and port that. doesn't seem hard.

^also didn't you get the 5th bolt to line up with a different type bolt for middle section, cause as you can see mines far from close.

Yeah I did notice that..Im leaning towards your manifold is USDM. I just got verification that the manifold I have is in fact JDM. Im going to compare the vacuum ports to mine in the morning and see if I can spot a difference..but I did notice that the 5th bolt hole was missing/covered...

If you can, take a picture of the other side of the manifold for me too, I want to try and make sure I can spot all the differences between JDM and USDM and pack as much info into this thread as possible, unless I can get a mod to unlock my old thread and just cram it all into one spot..

Sorry about all this, if I would have known there was that big of a difference from the start I would have made sure to tell you to get a JDM mani from an Aristo/Supra...
Old 05-07-10, 10:08 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

I think when im ready to do mine this tread would do me and alot of others some good.
Old 05-07-10, 10:10 PM
Slow_Sc3
Lead Lap

+1 for the idea but -10 million for flow and making power those runners are so far off you would be kicking yourself for installing the tt upper on the na lowers.... just get an aftermarket manifold if your that worried about it personally id just keep the ge intake setup.
Old 05-07-10, 10:29 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Slow_Sc3
+1 for the idea but -10 million for flow and making power those runners are so far off you would be kicking yourself for installing the tt upper on the na lowers.... just get an aftermarket manifold if your that worried about it personally id just keep the ge intake setup.
Im running the TT upper with no issues..the concern here now is that the JDM and USDM manifolds are different. My TT JDM upper lined up excellent and with a bit of port matching, I dont see any issues with flow, and as for the power, being turbo charged with the FFIM is a whole different thing than being NA with the FFIM..

Since I went with the FFIM, my throttle response seems to be slightly sharper, make the engine bay much more presentable IMO, and allows to run larger framed turbo chargers without coming in contact with the upper i/c pipes..which in my case I had no choice but to go with an FFIM cause of the size of the turbo.
Old 05-08-10, 09:24 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

i think you guys are on to something. I have definately read that there are different stock 2jz ffim manifolds that are not interchangeable. im not sure if its just a us or jdm issue, but could be an aristo vs supra thing.
Old 05-08-10, 04:58 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TurbodreamZ, So after looking at your FFIM thread I noticed you have made a plate for the weird port on your manifold same as mine. The only difference I see between the two if your looking on the top on the manifold toward the back mine has a threaded hole and indent for my brake booster line I think. Yours doesn't seem to have one.
Old 05-08-10, 05:32 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

That is correct, there is a cover plate(was on there when I got it from DJKevin), and no spot for the brake booster. I am leaning towards the possibility that your manifold is from a USDM Supra just cause of the brake booster. I think the JDM GTE manifolds pulled the vacuum for the booster from a different spot, but not 100% clear on that.

Quick Reply: Tt ffim