Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tilt steering repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 08:30 AM
cjrosen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did this yesterday to my 95 sc300

and it worked beautifully! great post, thanks.
Old 09-24-11, 02:47 PM
ThrtLmonkE
Driver School Candidate

I have been reading through this forum for some time now. I had no intention of actually joining. I joined just to say thank you for posting this! ............. but now that I am here........ why not stay?
Old 09-25-11, 11:00 AM
wiley91
Driver School Candidate

i took everything apart my worm gear isnt moving at all up or down was everyone experiencing this or is it just me any ideas?
Old 10-30-11, 11:20 AM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice write up. Finally I can lower the wheel and see the dash while driving

I couldnt find those washers anywhere in lowes, I used 3 rubber ones and had to crop them to adjust them correctly. Big ups
Old 10-30-11, 11:24 AM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wiley91
i took everything apart my worm gear isnt moving at all up or down was everyone experiencing this or is it just me any ideas?
The worm should be working but "slipping" for this fix to work, if the worm isnt working at all I doubt the lil motor that moves the worm is working. I suggest u look into that and while ur wheel is already disassembled perform this hotfix to prevent any more problems
Old 11-14-11, 11:45 AM
ill12will8
Driver School Candidate

it didnt help the steering wheel to move up and down? I did it just like the write-up says
Old 11-21-11, 11:45 PM
SidewayzLs
Driver School Candidate

Awsome write up I got my ls with the grrrrrr sound wounderin wut that was till I noticed awww it dosent tilt but as soon as I saw this poat I saw the light lol cant wait to try this fix tomarro thnx a load
Old 11-27-11, 08:37 AM
porter444
Driver School Candidate

Smile Confirmed!-this fix does work like a charm!

I just followed your instructions and my tilt is working again. One of the easiest repairs I have ever done. Thanks for the detail and pics.
Old 12-15-11, 02:03 PM
deathsled
Rookie

my tilt was working but my telescope in/out was not. I saw someone's response saying they gave the wheel a few tugs and that fixed it.

Just tried it on mine and what do you know! If your telescoping action doesn't work try grabbing your wheel and giving it a few tugs and pushes. The wheel isn't going to move, so don't be looking for it to, but wouldn't you know the motor started working again. Maybe some of that grease/gunk had dried up on the telescope gear drive and seized it. Who knows.....
Old 01-11-12, 10:34 AM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Originally Posted by agapepaga
I bought my SC with this problem and had resigned to the fact that I'd have to drive with the wheel in the "up" position forever or until I could afford to drop $600 on the motor. Thank you so much for this guide!! I'm in love all over again!
Same Here!
My 19 yr. old daughter is the main SC driver, because I'm usually behind the wheel of my E250 work van. She drives with the seat forward and as high as it will go, so likes it up. I drive with the seat back and low, and the wheel blocks the lower cluster. Sure glad to see how easy it is to fix.
Old 01-11-12, 10:57 AM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Originally Posted by phisig
Mine had a faint squeek in it, however I removed the schroud around the steering column and oiled up the moving parts with WD-40 and everything runs smooth as butter now.
Is it still running smooth? WD-40 is actually a cleaner, not a lube. It was designed for cleaning aircraft parts of oils, so is a really fine oil to work by thinning the heavy oils. It evaporates later.

I'm a garage door tech, among other things. I use WD-40 when someone uses an incorrect grease in Genie screw drive openers. A few squirts and the opener will seem to run well, but to do it right I soak it down and run all of the lube out of the rail, then regrease with the red grease Genie provides, or with a good white lithium, like Lubri-plate.

I suspect the yellow steering column grease is a lithium. Lithium isn't supposed to get thicker and thinner depending on temperature.
Old 01-11-12, 11:04 AM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Originally Posted by acenase
The Metal thing can't come off. I think I need an adjustable wrench. because I've tried 3/8, 7/16 and it's either too big or too small.

My tilt doesn't go up or down because the wheel is unaligned with the screw above it.
The Lexus is Metric, my friend.
Old 01-11-12, 03:25 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread was great for my car. Then I turned off the automatic adjustment so it will last another 20 years!
Old 01-12-12, 11:29 PM
Arharris84
Driver School Candidate

I have to try this. Im grateful for this post because I thought I will never be able to get my steering wheel out of the sky.
Old 01-14-12, 03:44 PM
DFWSC300
Driver School Candidate

I just did this on my 97. Works great now. Thanks for the write-up!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Tilt steering repair