Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Heat from the undervent and shift area.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-05, 01:23 AM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

get used to it, that's just the way it is
either keep your windows up, AC on or tear the car apart and insulate it with heatshield which i doubt will help your problem
it's all because of exhaust pipes being so close in the tunnel, and when you roll the windows down it creates a drift from the tunnel into the cabin, there is only a rubber boot that separates the shifter assembly and overtime it dries up and can suck up the hot air from underneat the car

and that was an old azz thread too
hey, at least you're using the search button
Old 07-13-05, 12:59 PM
GliTCH
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh for sure im mining this forum for everything its worth

this is kinda off topic but its too bad you dont have your lexus engineers in here.. i know its not worth toyota's time or money but sometimes i think that if i were a lexus engineer and had some free time i would pop in and check on the community and help out if i can, maybe even start a side business selling performance parts and mods for these cars

seriously isnt that what the internet is all about? mass information and marketing.. someone call up toyota and ask them to get their *** in here
Old 07-13-05, 02:03 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 419 Likes on 293 Posts

I think collectively, in the 4 years that this forum has been active, We hav amassed more information than any toyota engineer could provide. Plus those engineers are specialized, one guy can't solve everything, we'd need several of them.
Old 07-13-05, 05:49 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by LexSC888
I think collectively, in the 4 years that this forum has been active, We hav amassed more information than any toyota engineer could provide. Plus those engineers are specialized, one guy can't solve everything, we'd need several of them.
Am I wrong, or didn't they CREATE this problem?
Old 07-13-05, 06:05 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 419 Likes on 293 Posts

You're probably right, but I don't think Toyota or Lexus would be willing to pay an engineer or group of engineers more money to visit this site regularly and provide advice.

Back to the thread, I've got a 94 SC3 and today I drove the highway for about 12 minutes varying speed between 70-85 mph, with the windows down, and noticed the same heat near the footwell area, but none from the shifter area. I'm not sure what to make of it, other than maybe that the warm air from outside is making its way into the footwell area, and since their is no airflow through that area coming in from the windows, that air down there naturally feels warmer since it's not being rushed past you like your upper body is feeling. <<<<<<<< If that makes any sense LOL.
Old 07-13-05, 06:27 PM
2JZ_SC300
Driver

i have somewhat of the same problem.

i feel a breeze of hot air coming from my right side right were the arm rest is...i dont feel it anywere else like under the dash or the shifter area ..only near the arm rest...My car is a auto '93 SC300 btw
Old 07-13-05, 11:34 PM
Djdot2k
Pole Position

The heat comes from the center console / cup holder area and this sits directly atop the tranny. Simply replace the feeble little tranny cooler with a bigger/better unit. This should take the temp around the tranny area down by a couple. Some thermal insulation wouldn't hurt either, thanks to Skulinex we don't have to look far, LyTherm Max for the interior & ZeroClearance for your exterior(overkill) would help with whatever heat and sounds(a plus) that emulates from the exterior.. of.. your.. interior... lol
if all this should fail, do as wwest says, close ur windows and blast ur ac

All this thinking makes me wanna actually do something about this problem. ill fill u guys in on the outcome.
Old 07-15-05, 03:14 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

In a search, where there are many threads about this, I have also mentioned that you can simply disconnect the metal rod from the heater core actuator part of the switch and manually shut it all the way for the summer. You don't need it, and doing so keeps it from opening anywhere from slightly to wide open depending on it's age (even with the A/C on).

Since I did this, my interior temp went down over 15 degree's. I've done it for 3 years now. Every winter I simply reach under the hood and slide the actuator rod back on.............. less than 30 seconds of time and it is the difference between feeling the heat, and not feeling the heat.

The heat from the tranny well is minimal, most of it is the heatercore being hot from circulating (even just a littlle) very hot coolant and sitting inside the dash.....guess where........... near the tranny well.

It's been posted in at least 3 of these threads on interior heat.
Old 11-02-05, 08:48 PM
1gs430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. This was going to be the topic of my first post regarding my recently purchased 95 sc4 but of course the search works great. The heat from the center console and drivers foot well was almost unbearable in stop and go traffic today. I did not have the a/c on but the windows and moonroof were open. I reached over onto the passenger side of the console and there was no heat at all...only on the left side of the console. The idea of the exhaust and cats on the left side makes a lot of sense. The heat came up around the shifter as well. Another item I noticed was a small rectangular hole in the left side of the center console just behind the e-brake boot. It looks like a plastic plug might be missing but I have no other SC's to inspect to know for sure. Could someone let me know if there should be a plug there and why would you remove it? What is the access for? Again, it's just behind the e-brake boot near the top. Thanks.
Old 11-02-05, 11:36 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wwest
First, turn the temperature all the way down while the A/C system is fully on/enabled, then turn it off. I don't think the hot/cold blend door mixing vane motor will move with the system off.

But even so you will still feel a great deal of radiant heat from the exhaust system.
Ohhhhhh. I thought it was always engine or tranny heat. I was thinking of putting up a butt load of insulation in the tunnel when I do my tranny swap. But now I know that it was just the AC all along. I feel so enlightened.
Old 11-05-05, 12:32 AM
posterboi
Driver

It's good to see that I'm not the only one with that problem. That's why I love this board.
Old 06-30-06, 06:11 AM
Redskns92

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
In a search, where there are many threads about this, I have also mentioned that you can simply disconnect the metal rod from the heater core actuator part of the switch and manually shut it all the way for the summer. You don't need it, and doing so keeps it from opening anywhere from slightly to wide open depending on it's age (even with the A/C on).

Since I did this, my interior temp went down over 15 degree's. I've done it for 3 years now. Every winter I simply reach under the hood and slide the actuator rod back on.............. less than 30 seconds of time and it is the difference between feeling the heat, and not feeling the heat.

The heat from the tranny well is minimal, most of it is the heatercore being hot from circulating (even just a littlle) very hot coolant and sitting inside the dash.....guess where........... near the tranny well.

It's been posted in at least 3 of these threads on interior heat.

Where is the metal rod I need to do this it gets so hot by my feet. And also where my gear shifter is
Old 06-30-06, 07:15 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

it is on the heater core control valve
Old 06-30-06, 08:55 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

yeah there is a thread floating around with those keywords where I actually circled the unit in a pic.
Old 06-30-06, 11:22 AM
Tymboo
Rookie

Please show me were to turn off the heat. I cant find that post....Its 90 fricken degreez today in LA....

Quick Reply: Heat from the undervent and shift area.