Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Looking to do a r154 or w58 manual swap? look in here, dont make a thread.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-11, 06:02 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You know by looking at the pics it looks like you have an mk3 r154 with the modified mk3 mount

How does the mount bolt to the cross member? can yiou tell it's been modified?

and it looks like only 2 bolts are holding the mount to the trans correct?

look at the first pic on post 98 the trans is not sitting inside the mount it's just hanging on the bracket that's why it's too high.

You will need to change the mount and everything will work.

gl
Old 11-13-11, 12:08 PM
Champen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
You know by looking at the pics it looks like you have an mk3 r154 with the modified mk3 mount

How does the mount bolt to the cross member? can yiou tell it's been modified?

and it looks like only 2 bolts are holding the mount to the trans correct?

look at the first pic on post 98 the trans is not sitting inside the mount it's just hanging on the bracket that's why it's too high.

You will need to change the mount and everything will work.

gl
The mount bolts right in the org. holes in the crossmember..

And its just bolted on with a few bolts to show how it hangs... I sorted it out now...

Thanx for the help..
Old 01-07-12, 09:06 PM
milkyninja
Driver School Candidate

maybe someone can help with this question. i have a w58 transmission and i am wondering if a driveshaft yolk from a automatic sc300 transmission will work into the w58 tranny?
Old 01-11-12, 11:58 PM
terolla
Driver School Candidate

cant wait to start on a swap
Old 04-22-12, 02:58 PM
VileFCboy
Rookie

Sorry to revive this old thread, but this is an amazing thread. I dont understand why it isn't pinned though.
I understand the step by step procedure isn't the best but give cleanshots a huge credit for his effort on helping people that keeps making these kind of threads. Like me...

Last edited by VileFCboy; 04-22-12 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-27-12, 09:50 PM
snakehead
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just noticed Quantum-auto web site is down , Who has the best price and quality for the swap .

SC400 is it better to go with a billet fly wheel or aluminum ? Drift use.

Where can o get a R154 or W58 in Los Angeles ?
Old 04-27-12, 09:54 PM
VileFCboy
Rookie

Originally Posted by snakehead
I just noticed Quantum-auto web site is down , Who has the best price and quality for the swap .

I cant help you with your question about the SC400.
But there are a couple of good deals on R154 transmissions right now in your area on craigslist.
I am going to try to ****** the R154 transfer case thats here at SD right now. If thats gone then LA it is...
Old 04-28-12, 02:43 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by snakehead

Hey man, sounds like you didn't read anything on the first post.. contact driftmotion. He doesn't have sc400 specific manual stuff tho. And the flywheels are custom as far as I know. And id say for all cars stick with metal flywheel. Because think if it this way, if the flywheel is lighter sure it gets up to speed faster but it also looses speed faster too. plus you don't even have anything insanely crazy for it to make any huge differance for you. Hit up driftmotion, he even has transmissions sometimes. Tell him pirooz, sent you. And please read everything next time..
Old 04-29-12, 04:52 AM
SCupra3
Driver School Candidate

love the thread! just got my 1992 sc3 two weeks ago, so far just lowered and new wheels, but portland international raceway has drift events and they are caling my name haha the prob is that my car is an auto, hense my post in this thread, im running a totally stock 2jz and i have read tons of threads and i got varying opinions on weather a w58 will hold up to drifting? it will mainly be a daily driver but i want the ability to drift. clean you seem very knowlegable, would you recamend a w58 for a weekend warrior or will it be necessary to get a r154? any and all help is appreciated, or feel free to pm me with any assistance!
Old 04-29-12, 05:14 PM
VileFCboy
Rookie

Originally Posted by SCupra3
love the thread! just got my 1992 sc3 two weeks ago, so far just lowered and new wheels, but portland international raceway has drift events and they are caling my name haha the prob is that my car is an auto, hense my post in this thread, im running a totally stock 2jz and i have read tons of threads and i got varying opinions on weather a w58 will hold up to drifting? it will mainly be a daily driver but i want the ability to drift. clean you seem very knowlegable, would you recamend a w58 for a weekend warrior or will it be necessary to get a r154? any and all help is appreciated, or feel free to pm me with any assistance!
I have asked this question on deciding on for a W58 or R154 tranny not too long ago.
But if you're going to enhance the whp to atleast 400+, then R154 it is. Since that can withstand higher torque then the W58.

It all depends on the whp goal that you want to set for your SC.
Old 04-29-12, 11:26 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

sudden boost is what kills the w58,, any kind of crazy jolt will break the w58.. i drifted the sc when it was stock and the stock w58, i raped the hell out of it no problems.. if you are not going to ever turbo it w58 is fine.. if you plan on making power later on id say r154. and if you wanna make even more power like 1000hp or something you can make the r154 handle 1200whp or so with martin crawler kit.. it will still be cheaper than a v160.. v160 is hella money plug clutch kit to hold alot of power is 1500+ dollars.. :O F that and the ratios of the 5th on r154 and 6th on the v160 are soo close that there is not really any point.. 123 are really close and in my opinion they are hella useless..
Old 04-30-12, 05:33 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
if you are not going to ever turbo it w58 is fine.. if you plan on making power later on id say r154. and if you wanna make even more power like 1000hp or something you can make the r154 handle 1200whp or so with martin crawler kit.. it will still be cheaper than a v160.. v160 is hella money plug clutch kit to hold alot of power is 1500+ dollars.. :O F that and the ratios of the 5th on r154 and 6th on the v160 are soo close that there is not really any point.. 123 are really close and in my opinion they are hella useless..
For the last time please STOP saying this "if you plan on making power later on id say r154. and if you wanna make even more power like 1000hp or something you can make the r154 handle 1200whp or so with martin crawler kit"
This is the 3rd/4th time you said this until you show us proof , please stop misinforming the other members.
Old 04-30-12, 11:54 AM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

I bought a 96 W58 swap out of a supra NA for a decent price.

so far I got:
flyweel
Pressure plate & disc
2 throw out bearing
W58 with transmission mount
B&M short ****er
Complete driveshaft

From what I understand I would need the following to make it complete.
Clutch pedal - ordered one for a MK3
master cylinder - drift motion
slave cylinder - drift motion
full length clutch hose - drift motion
flywheel lock ring - driftmotion
brake fluid
transmission fluid
ARP flywheel bolts for 1jz - drift motion
pilot bearing

Now What I want to know, is it really nessicary to get the W58 to engine block bolts? or can I just use my automatic transmission bolts. I'm talking about the ones that conect the engine to the transmission

Last edited by AnonymousG; 04-30-12 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-30-12, 12:19 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AnonymousG
I bought a 96 W58 swap out of a supra NA for a decent price.

so far I got:
flyweel
Pressure plate & disc
2 throw out bearing
W58 with transmission mount
B&M short ****er
Complete driveshaft

From what I understand I would need the following to make it complete.
Clutch pedal - ordered one for a MK3
master cylinder - drift motion
slave cylinder - drift motion
full length clutch hose - drift motion
flywheel lock ring - driftmotion
brake fluid
transmission fluid
ARP flywheel bolts for 1jz - drift motion
pilot bearing

Now What I want to know, is it really nessicary to get the W58 to engine block bolts? or can I just use my automatic transmission bolts. I'm talking about the ones that conect the engine to the transmission
Yes you can use the auto bolts they are the same anyway!

flywheel lock rings is not necessary
Clutch pedal get one from an SC300 please it will save you alot of trouble.
Driveshaft has to be from an SC300 not MK4 , so if you have one from an SC300 you are good to go sir.
Old 04-30-12, 12:47 PM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Yes you can use the auto bolts they are the same anyway!

flywheel lock rings is not necessary
Clutch pedal get one from an SC300 please it will save you alot of trouble.
Driveshaft has to be from an SC300 not MK4 , so if you have one from an SC300 you are good to go sir.
Ok, thats great about the lock ring then, ill just use that money to buy a rear main seal and other little stuff.

would the front half from the MK4 work with my rear SC300?

THe MK3 pedal was insanely cheap, and i found out on here how to mod it to work. Which is not alot and saves me a ton, thanks for the suggestion tho.

Quick Reply: Looking to do a r154 or w58 manual swap? look in here, dont make a thread.