Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhuast System For SC4.. Greddy Mx or Custom job?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-02, 03:49 PM
dumdumgreg
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhuast System For SC4.. Greddy Mx or Custom job?

hey!
i got a 92 SC4...
i really want to open up the exhuast system...
i was looking into the Greddy Mx Cat-back system and i know some of you guys have it. I was wondering how it was... is it any good? i found places online that say the greddy cat back is about 900... sounds ok .. for both cats and mufflers...
or
i know some of you's have hte apexi n1 universal mufflers... i odn't kno how much they are though.. i was wondering would i get a better performance with just changing the mufflers and hollowing out hte cats? would that be a good idea or would it be good to find some other perfomance cats and mufflers?
what would be best for me?
i want it to look nice... not too loud... and get good performance out of it...

thanks a lot
sincerely
greg
aim:dumdumgreg
Old 06-16-02, 10:02 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just replacing the mufflers will do absolutely nothing, same with just hollowing out the cats...

a full catback is the best solution for a semi-quiet exhaust and getting more power from it... the greddy is $800-900 and IMO a ripoff for the money... if it were $500 it would be more like it

a custom job would be cheaper; get two identical mufflers, maybe two resonators if you think it may be too loud... and then replace everything from the main cat to the rear with 2.5" piping
Old 06-16-02, 10:30 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dumdumgreg do a search in the SC forums for headers. They are supposed to give you 16rwhp more not to mention make the dang thing breathe easier.
Old 06-16-02, 10:31 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Another thing you might want to do is put in a x-pipe and then take out the main resonator but retain the two smaller ones ending up in two straight through mufflers.
Old 06-16-02, 10:50 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

How's your turbo coming Hermosa?
Old 06-16-02, 11:46 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Which car? The SC300 turbo kit will come in around 40 days, doh!

Depending on how much time this process takes it may delay or cancel my SC400 supercharger plans. It all depends on resources. I need to make real professional parts for the supercharger kit. I do think with the setup I am piecing together that 400RWHP will not be hard to obtain. The kit would be a full setup including exhaust replacement from headers on back. I initially predicted August but I probably won't be finished with the SC300 yet.

SC300 mods to come(bit by bit)

Toyomoto Stage II Kit
Precision Industries TC
Huge tranny cooler
Better engine oil cooler(if necessary)
Limited Slip Differential
Tien CS Coilovers
Supra TT brake upgrade
HRE 546 18x85/18.10 or 19x8.5/19x10 wheels
97+ upgrade for the body
Full repaint of the car
Maybe a new stereo

Then a reassessment of the car's value by my insurance company.

Finally rest a bit and enjoy the payoffs of my hard work and...

kill a few 2003 Cobras...
Old 06-17-02, 12:24 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I'm doing the tt upgrade soon, just put my order in to Steve Ganz with the CL groupbuy deal. What's up with the oil cooler and tranny cooler? Do you really think this is necessary. If the set-up is good, these items should not be needed. Just the intercooler - a big one in front - fogger system, or air/water. Unless the application is like super high out put.

What diameter exhaust piping are you going with? All custom?
Old 06-17-02, 06:58 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

What TT group buy?!!! What TT kit? I only know of a single turbo kit? Is there a new product?
Old 06-17-02, 07:14 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I was referring to the brake group buy from 2SAVVY. Supra fronts w/ new backs. My fault, you seem worried?

Last edited by awj; 06-17-02 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-17-02, 10:57 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Hehe, well I just paid $7500 for a turbo kit and didn't want to have missed a group buy that would have saved me some good $$$.
Old 06-19-02, 05:05 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Exhuast System For SC4.. Greddy Mx or Custom job?

Originally posted by dumdumgreg
hey!
i got a 92 SC4...
i really want to open up the exhuast system...
i was looking into the Greddy Mx Cat-back system and i know some of you guys have it. I was wondering how it was... is it any good? i found places online that say the greddy cat back is about 900... sounds ok .. for both cats and mufflers...
or
i know some of you's have hte apexi n1 universal mufflers... i odn't kno how much they are though.. i was wondering would i get a better performance with just changing the mufflers and hollowing out hte cats? would that be a good idea or would it be good to find some other perfomance cats and mufflers?
what would be best for me?
i want it to look nice... not too loud... and get good performance out of it...

thanks a lot
sincerely
greg
aim:dumdumgreg

I am working with a company about designing a true cat back system for the SC4. I have decided to get a custom setup, since no one sells a true cat back setup.

It will be a 2.5" true dual exhaust w/ X-pipe and mandrel bends. Looks like my car will be the gunnie pig. We will be getting baseline dyno runs in within the month, then the prototyps will be constructed. We all hope to have the kit up for sale within 6 months or so. By then, I hope to acquire a set of headers and have them compliment the exhaust as well. (With headers it will be an off-road exhaust). Anyway -- I'll keep the forum posted as to the ongoing results.

Keith
Old 11-10-02, 07:31 PM
legendary
Racer

Default Re: Re: Exhuast System For SC4.. Greddy Mx or Custom job?

Originally posted by Keith13b

It will be a 2.5" true dual exhaust w/ X-pipe and mandrel bends. Looks like my car will be the gunnie pig. We will be getting baseline dyno runs in within the month, then the prototyps will be constructed. We all hope to have the kit up for sale within 6 months or so. By then, I hope to acquire a set of headers and have them compliment the exhaust as well. (With headers it will be an off-road exhaust). Anyway -- I'll keep the forum posted as to the ongoing results.

Keith

what's the status on this Keith?
Also, what is the approximate pricing of this?
TIA
Old 11-30-02, 07:35 PM
007lexus
Driver

hey bean,
i went to get some price for exhaust for my sc400, the muffler guy told me 2.5" dia pipes will be over kill for our cars. do you agree?
he suggested that staying with 2.25" dia instead.

thanks, 007

Originally posted by Bean
just replacing the mufflers will do absolutely nothing, same with just hollowing out the cats...

a full catback is the best solution for a semi-quiet exhaust and getting more power from it... the greddy is $800-900 and IMO a ripoff for the money... if it were $500 it would be more like it

a custom job would be cheaper; get two identical mufflers, maybe two resonators if you think it may be too loud... and then replace everything from the main cat to the rear with 2.5" piping
Old 12-06-02, 04:01 PM
SC2JZ-GTE
Rookie

hey dumdumgreg, there are many other exhausts system for the Jzz30. Trust-Japan got like two to three other system beside the MX. They even have single muffler exhaust system (ugly IMO). Blitz got a race nur-spec (100mm pipes) single muffler exhaust system also. But all are special order, like 3 month waiting period, made to order. SP Engineering can get all of them. (626) 333-5398/SP-Power.com.
Old 12-06-02, 05:35 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

dumdumgreg totalled his car.

Quick Reply: Exhuast System For SC4.. Greddy Mx or Custom job?