Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HELP! Pressure plate wont engage!?? y?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-10, 11:45 AM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Pressure plate wont engage!?? y?

Install complete, 5 speed in full effect! BUT.....

WHen the clutch is pushed the pressure plate does not move enough to engage. What could be the issue???

Im looking for techincal experts here!

Also to think about, the slave cylinder is new, clutch pedal is new, master cyclinder is new, clutch cable is new, pressure plate is new and clutch itself is new.....what could be the issue...??

thanks for your help!
Old 05-30-10, 01:46 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Do you mean it isn't disengaging? Does it grind when you try to go into gear? Did you witness the slave moving the diaphragm?

Several reasons this could be happening.

1. Air in the system. Seriously bleed the living hell out of it.

2. If it is not grinding, but is very hard to put into gear, then you might have the wrong transmission fluid. Change to redline mt-90

3. There's a rubber line that goes to the slave, that could be fatigued and expanding. I would buy a stainless steel clutch line. I think driftmotion sells it.

4. Something is wrong with your diaphragm on you pressure plate. I know it sounds almost far fetched, but I went through the same thing you have been going through.

I have an rps max 6 puck sprung clutch. It drove ok for about 3 weeks, then all of a sudden I couldn't get into gear. Found out the pressure plate wasn't being moved enough. I ended up having a custom slave cyl rod that is slightly longer out of a grade 8 bolt.

Maybe something is up with these high pressure single disk clutches that makes them prone to this kind of discrepancy. I don't know.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-30-10, 02:03 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Like he said, explain what the problem is a little better. Not sure if that's your problem, but when i did my swap i couldn't engage. And if i shut the car i could put it in gear and i couldn't disengage! it turned out that i put the disk backwards when i fell from the tranny while i was raising it by myself. Otherwise, the only other thing i can think of is bleed your lines and make sure u have the proper level. That's all assuming your parts work flawlessly. Good luck.
Old 05-30-10, 02:42 PM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lemmiewink
Do you mean it isn't disengaging? Does it grind when you try to go into gear? Did you witness the slave moving the diaphragm?

Several reasons this could be happening.

1. Air in the system. Seriously bleed the living hell out of it.

2. If it is not grinding, but is very hard to put into gear, then you might have the wrong transmission fluid. Change to redline mt-90

3. There's a rubber line that goes to the slave, that could be fatigued and expanding. I would buy a stainless steel clutch line. I think driftmotion sells it.

4. Something is wrong with your diaphragm on you pressure plate. I know it sounds almost far fetched, but I went through the same thing you have been going through.

I have an rps max 6 puck sprung clutch. It drove ok for about 3 weeks, then all of a sudden I couldn't get into gear. Found out the pressure plate wasn't being moved enough. I ended up having a custom slave cyl rod that is slightly longer out of a grade 8 bolt.

Maybe something is up with these high pressure single disk clutches that makes them prone to this kind of discrepancy. I don't know.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Here is the answer/ responses to your thoughts which i thank you for tremendously...

1. Air was bleed, VERY well!! and the level was right and im using Royal Purple Transmission fluid....

2. using Royal purple, is that an issue??

3. I have Driftmotion.coms stainless clutch line

4. ill check this one tonight....

the issue is this, the actuator doesnt push it far enough, barely even moves it actually. im not sure exactly. So ill look more into it tonight and get back with you, thanks for the help and ideas! Im going to put them to use!
Old 05-30-10, 02:55 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1JZ300
Here is the answer/ responses to your thoughts which i thank you for tremendously...

1. Air was bleed, VERY well!! and the level was right and im using Royal Purple Transmission fluid....

2. using Royal purple, is that an issue??

3. I have Driftmotion.coms stainless clutch line

4. ill check this one tonight....

the issue is this, the actuator doesnt push it far enough, barely even moves it actually. im not sure exactly. So ill look more into it tonight and get back with you, thanks for the help and ideas! Im going to put them to use!
I tried royal pruple. My transmission absolutely hated it. It was a bear to shift. No grinding, it was as if someone was pushing against my shifts. I would advise that you change to redline mt-90. It's cheaper to boot.

What I did to check and see if extending the slave rod would do it, was used a very small 1/4 inch drive socket. Added it to the end of the slave rod and did a crude "extension". It worked, then I drove it and my flywheel bolts got sheared off. So I would only do it to see what would work and then actually get a proper rod made if it is the culprit.

Also, as the other poster said, the disk might be facing the wrong way. I believe its the elevated side of the disk should be facing the rear.
Old 05-30-10, 02:57 PM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

Well ill take your word for it on the Tranny fluid, ill switch it, and YEAH RP is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ill check that actually ill check the disk to make sure, so the elevated side facing rear...hmmmmmm i didnt even know it was possibly to be the wrong way i didnt think it would work or even fit right and screw in....
Old 05-30-10, 03:16 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

used RP a while back and the tranny absolutely HATED that stuff! stuff was garbage. I've changed to some Valvoline sythetic for the time being, a lot of people praise the Redline MT-90 for R154 and W58 tranny so im going to switch to that later down the line.

as for the original issue, it could be the backwards friction disc. It also could be that the friciton disc isn't lined up properly and isn't disengaging the clutch, or the throwout bearing is binding on it's slide and isn't getting proper contact with the pressure plate. Did you get the disc properl aligned? Did you grease up the splines and throwout slide before you installed the tranny?
Old 05-30-10, 03:23 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by StiCk3
used RP a while back and the tranny absolutely HATED that stuff! stuff was garbage. I've changed to some Valvoline sythetic for the time being, a lot of people praise the Redline MT-90 for R154 and W58 tranny so im going to switch to that later down the line.

as for the original issue, it could be the backwards friction disc. It also could be that the friciton disc isn't lined up properly and isn't disengaging the clutch, or the throwout bearing is binding on it's slide and isn't getting proper contact with the pressure plate. Did you get the disc properl aligned? Did you grease up the splines and throwout slide before you installed the tranny?
I can guarantee the disk is aligned. This is a pull type clutch so the clutch goes on the input shaft first, before being bolted onto the flywheel. Throwout bearing is connected to the center of the pressure plate diaphragm on a carrier hub. Non the less, the spline should have been greased up along with the clutch fork contact points.

I've actually broken my carrier hub before. It was horrible.
Old 05-30-10, 04:42 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

ahh that's right, forgot the R154 is a pull type. i've been around W58s and push types for too long.
Old 05-30-10, 06:03 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like Stick said there are parts that need proper greasing. The shiftfork has 4 spots that need it, and the hub needs greased inside.

When you installed the clutch pedal, and got everything installed did you adjust the pedal freeplay? Basically if this is off there is too much travel in the pedal before the pedal rod pushes the clutch master piston in which in turn doesn't push the slave cylinder far enough which doesn't push the clutch fork far enough.

Sorry that was so long.
Old 05-30-10, 07:55 PM
madmax98
Instructor

OP, do yourself a favor and make sure you look up the service manual on Supramania.com for the R154. There's a lot of tidbits that u need to pay attention to. And trust me, it's possible to install the disk on the wrong side, i managed to do it while i wasn't paying attention. Just make sure that the disk can flush with the flywheel. Also, you shouldn't need to install an extension. If you do, then something isn't right. I have the same setup from Driftmotion and it worked flawlessly for 2 years now. Also, make sure u adjust the pedal points, maybe your pedal doesn't move enough to press on the shift fork! But your first step should be looking at the manual on supramania, that's if you don't have it already.
Old 05-31-10, 10:45 AM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

Upadate on the issue, FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

after spending about 3 hours staring at the transmission laying there and fiddling with it and going through the motions of the shifting and the clutch pedal being pressed(pressing with my finger on the shift fork) i realized something......

the R154 is backwards when it engages, it doesnt push through the clutch like EVERY other car ive had, but it pulls the forks out... i was missing two clips to hold the throwout bearing in place!

so i ordered them through driftmotion.com....

MOST cars ive worked on push the forks in.....anyone encounter this issue before???

stupid me! i needed to think outside the box
Old 05-31-10, 11:58 AM
madmax98
Instructor

hahahah, this is when the service manual could have saved you. Glad you found the problem though.
Old 06-01-10, 04:10 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

You are not alone with that inexperience. When I first took apart the r154 from its attached 1jz, I treated it like a push type clutch. I unbolted the bellhousing and was wondering why the transmission wasn't disconnecting. So we shook the crap out of it and it broke the bearing hub...
Old 06-01-10, 06:35 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, that sucks! Do you have all of the circlips, wave washer for the to bearing or did you order them all?

I know the 'wave' washer is like $20 bucks just for the one piece at cost...the rest are cheap.

Quick Reply: HELP! Pressure plate wont engage!?? y?