Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZGTE Overheat/Oil dip stick

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-10, 11:10 PM
J-STAR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2JZGTE Overheat/Oil dip stick

Alright, here goes. I was driving 3 days ago in normal traffic if normal California heat. I do not have the temp gauge working or it was never hook up properly from the swap. Anyway I exited the freeway and i noticed my car wouldn't boost. I figured my car was over heating. I must have drove 10 minutes like that until I got home. I opened the hood and noticed pressure coming out of the radiator cap. and the coolant resv. was spraying out of the weep hose harder than a super soaker 50. I then noticed that my coupler for the throttle side intercooler had ripped in half. So that is why I was not boosting. So i changed my radiator cap, and that coupler. Problem solved!

Which leads me to my questions. When I start my car the radiator cap is not getting hot and the radiator stays cool. I then notice that the top radiator hoes is hard as rock while the bottom hose is free flowing. Well since I don't have a temp gauge I have to wait until I see something happen. Several people have told me that my head gasket is out. FML. But others said it was the thermostat. I tried to check my oil but my oil dipstick is from the 2jz n/a so I'm not sure how to read the oil level, unless I oil change. Help. I want to fix her and get her back on the street. But if it is BHG then I'm forced to sell. (Note: I'm running the JDM 2jzgte with hydraulic fan) so thermostat and water pump is different. Please help. Thanks guys.
Old 06-07-10, 11:14 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Do a compression test to see if you have a BHG, only takes a few minutes.
Old 06-07-10, 11:15 PM
J-STAR
Rookie

You have any idea what psi they are to be?
Old 06-08-10, 01:28 AM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

They are around 150psi no more than 14psi from the highest pressure to the lowest.
Old 06-08-10, 06:30 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you get the air out of the system?
Old 06-08-10, 08:45 AM
J-STAR
Rookie

Originally Posted by quickGS300
Did you get the air out of the system?
How would I get the air out of the system??
Old 06-08-10, 08:47 AM
J-STAR
Rookie

Originally Posted by soarer13oy
They are around 150psi no more than 14psi from the highest pressure to the lowest.
Well, currently the intake and intercooler and turbo pipe is currently off because I was trying to get to the thermostat. Should I just put everything back together and get the compression tester?
Old 06-08-10, 09:45 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The thermostat has to be install the correct way, what cooalnt are you using?
was it premixed ? or you had to mix it?
Is the thermostat opening? touch the lower radiator hose and see if it's getting hot!!!

If you wanna get the air out of the system you have to take the cap off and fill it up with the right antifreeze, and rev it up to 3k rpm and you will see the bubble coming out of the radiator.
Everytime you rev it the air should come out.
BTW is would fix the temp gauge before i do anything else to the car.
GL
Old 06-08-10, 10:50 AM
J-STAR
Rookie

Thanks I'll try doing that first. BTW. Do you think its better if I get a water temp gauge and wire it up? And I might as well replace the thermostat while its almost off right? ooks like I got quite a load to do to get my car back on the road. Do you guys know where I can find info on how to replace the thermostat and what oil level reading is on a na ge oil dip stick on a jdm 2gte motor? Appreciate it.
Old 06-08-10, 11:22 AM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by J-STAR
Well, currently the intake and intercooler and turbo pipe is currently off because I was trying to get to the thermostat. Should I just put everything back together and get the compression tester?
You dont need those pipes on. Make sure you have the throttle wot though.
Old 06-08-10, 12:52 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

i don't think there are too many people who will know the oil level reading with an n/a dipstick on a gte motor. I would suspect its close, but the safest thing to do would be to drain all the oil and refill with the amount called for the gte engine from the factory.
then you can see where it comes up on the dipstick, and you can mark it for future reference.
its a good idea to change the oil out anyways and check for contamination from a bhg.
Old 06-08-10, 05:33 PM
J-STAR
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
i don't think there are too many people who will know the oil level reading with an n/a dipstick on a gte motor. I would suspect its close, but the safest thing to do would be to drain all the oil and refill with the amount called for the gte engine from the factory.
then you can see where it comes up on the dipstick, and you can mark it for future reference.
its a good idea to change the oil out anyways and check for contamination from a bhg.
Thats what I have been doing but after 2500 miiles i tend to forget. Or when I think Im leaking or burning oil.
Old 06-09-10, 09:08 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah, you gotta mark it if you forget. usually 5.5 quarts does the trick for me, but thats on my na-t.
Old 06-16-10, 10:34 PM
J-STAR
Rookie

While waiting for my friend to get his compression tester, he had suggested I get a new radiator cap, thermostat, and aftermarket temp gauge. My question is where is the thermostat when running a hydra pump? Is ib on the bottom or top? Thanks.
Old 06-17-10, 04:46 AM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

i think its on the top, cant quite remember as i converted to a tt water pump.

Quick Reply: 2JZGTE Overheat/Oil dip stick