Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

smell so strong raw gas with (CHECK ENGINE LIGHT)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-10, 06:36 PM
ShiftyD2k
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smell so strong raw gas with (CHECK ENGINE LIGHT)

when i was started the engine and start come out smell strong raw fuel also come light with (CHECK ENGINE) Anyone help idea why it happened that?

also i drove my sc and saw under pipe with glow red as hot! i was like what heck with that? Anyone know?
Old 06-10-10, 07:01 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, I'm gonna try my best here...

So you are running rich and you have a CEL. What year is your car?

Was it the exhaust or catalytic convertor that was glowing red? Most likely your catalytic converter... Sounds like it is bad and needs replaced.

Pull your code for your check engine light - sounds like it will be Cat related.

Jonny
Old 06-10-10, 07:03 PM
brawls43
Rookie

Did you do any maintenance lately? When I switched my timing belt, the cheap belt had bad marks, and I Had it off a tooth. It ran rich with a 13 CEL, mine's a 92. Not sure its the same, but we need some more info. Did this just happen out of the blue?
Old 06-10-10, 07:38 PM
ShiftyD2k
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dx3
OK, I'm gonna try my best here...

So you are running rich and you have a CEL. What year is your car?

Was it the exhaust or catalytic converter that was glowing red? Most likely your catalytic converter... Sounds like it is bad and needs replaced.

Pull your code for your check engine light - sounds like it will be Cat related.

Jonny
My car year is 1993 with sc400 v8..
Yeah.. I notice cat next with pipe come out red glow as feel hot. I believe it need replace cat. I can't find one OEM catalytic converter for my sc400. I research the internet and there too many of aftermarket catalytic converter. Anyone know where can get OEM catalytic converter? I need new one.

Originally Posted by brawls43
Did you do any maintenance lately? When I switched my timing belt, the cheap belt had bad marks, and I Had it off a tooth. It ran rich with a 13 CEL, mine's a 92. Not sure its the same, but we need some more info. Did this just happen out of the blue?
I did changed distributor cap,spark plugs and wire,ignition rotor and fuel filters in recently.. I believe previous owner didn't take care engine well.. No, I didn't see smoke of blue. Only i see something pure white smoke come out exhaust...

Last edited by ShiftyD2k; 06-10-10 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-11-10, 06:09 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, start by pulling the code for your car as has been explained many times on here. In fact, I have probably posted how to do it at least 15 times. That will help a lot.

An OEM cat will be ridiculously expensive. I would try a Magnaflow or something.

Jonny
Old 06-11-10, 03:06 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Running really rich with a huge amount of fuel running through the cat will make it glow. If one of your ignition coils is bad then 4 cylinders will not fire and it will be straight up fuel going to your cats.

Get the code checked out and make sure you check each cylinder for spark before you get a new cat.
Old 06-11-10, 10:02 PM
ShiftyD2k
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dx3
OK, start by pulling the code for your car as has been explained many times on here. In fact, I have probably posted how to do it at least 15 times. That will help a lot.

An OEM cat will be ridiculously expensive. I would try a Magnaflow or something.

Jonny
How much OEM cat and i get oem cat from dealership? I would like manaflow cat but illegal in California..

Originally Posted by sc-driver
Running really rich with a huge amount of fuel running through the cat will make it glow. If one of your ignition coils is bad then 4 cylinders will not fire and it will be straight up fuel going to your cats.

Get the code checked out and make sure you check each cylinder for spark before you get a new cat.
ok I'll check with my mechanic get some code.. my mechanic pulled out two spark plug were burned after install it by new. dont know two spark plug got
burned