Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car overheats with a/c on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-10, 12:29 PM
magneti
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quickGS300
Is the clutch fan working properly? it sound like a fan clutch to me.
replaced it and the fan. its definitely pulling a lot more air than the previous one.

but yeah, i was certain it was that. although I did buy it used from a cl member.
Old 06-15-10, 12:36 PM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

could be the a/c compressor.. an a/c compressor that is about to seize up will turn slower.. making everything slow down too.. power steering a little stiffer than usual while the a/c is on? ..
Old 06-15-10, 12:40 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

just responded to ur Pm. Like everyone else It doesn't sound like the headgasket so much.
your coolant system probably has some issues and is probably running a bit hot even without the a/c on, which is hard to tell from the stock needle until it gets way too hot.
The extra load from the a/c is just putting it all over the top.
you could always do a compression test on the motor.

I would suggest an inspection of the whole cooling system. Also make sure your fans are working properly and that your fan shroud is still in place.
Old 06-15-10, 12:49 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How is the coolant misture?
was it 50/50 or you are not sure? did you install the thermostat the correct way?
Is you lower radiator hose getting hot?
Old 06-15-10, 01:45 PM
magneti
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
your coolant system probably has some issues and is probably running a bit hot even without the a/c on, which is hard to tell from the stock needle until it gets way too hot.
The extra load from the a/c is just putting it all over the top.
you could always do a compression test on the motor.

I would suggest an inspection of the whole cooling system. Also make sure your fans are working properly and that your fan shroud is still in place.
the heater control valve was dripping a couple weeks ago but not enough to affect the level and it stopped. not sure if its related.

Originally Posted by quickGS300
How is the coolant misture?
was it 50/50 or you are not sure? did you install the thermostat the correct way?
Is you lower radiator hose getting hot?
i did the 50/50 route with some water wetter. lower radiator hose is getting hot although the shrowd is not correctly in place due to a stripped end of plastic although its pretty close. i was thinking of replacing it but dunno.

I assume the thermo is in correctly. the one i replaced worked and it was doing the same thing. i got it from the lexo dealer cuz i wanted OEM.
Old 06-15-10, 02:25 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn i don't know what to tell you w/o seeing the actual lol sorry man.
Old 06-15-10, 05:00 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Something that may be being missed here. When you turn on the A/C, it engages a bearing and pulley. If that bearing is about to seize up, it will make the pulley very hard to turn. This can make the belt start to basically drag over the non-turning pulley. When my cars timing belt went out, it was because a bearing seized dragging the belt over a non-working pulley thus overheating my car and leaving me on the side of the road.
Old 06-15-10, 05:04 PM
magneti
Pole Position

Originally Posted by magneti

i read somewhere it could be a/c compressor but that doesnt sound right to me unless it was going out and slowing the fan down but it seems to be turning ok.
Originally Posted by FireCode
Something that may be being missed here. When you turn on the A/C, it engages a bearing and pulley. If that bearing is about to seize up, it will make the pulley very hard to turn. This can make the belt start to basically drag over the non-turning pulley. When my cars timing belt went out, it was because a bearing seized dragging the belt over a non-working pulley thus overheating my car and leaving me on the side of the road.

yeah i addressed that in the first post but when i turn on the ac it doesnt seem to be slipping--the fan stays at the same speed.

nor does it make a sound anywhere. runs quiet as a mouse all around. well minus a few squeaking noises when i hit a bump occasionally from my front end. but im putting off ball joints and control arms/bushings til this is resolved.
Old 06-16-10, 08:18 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how old is the radiator? Maybe its time to just replace it.
Old 06-16-10, 08:20 AM
magneti
Pole Position

ok looks like Ill be dropping a radiator in this weekend if i have time. for 60 bucks and no time in the shop i figure its the best route, well at least not til i find out its a bhg.

hopefully the radiator is almost as easy to replace as the fan and clutch. ill be searching for a good diy.
Old 06-16-10, 09:47 AM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

radiator is super easy.. disconnect the hoses.. top and bottom.. then 2 bolts on the top bracket.. then pull out!
Old 06-16-10, 07:26 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by magneti
Yeah I was thinking about that earlier and actually was wondering why I didnt hear any difference when I was turning ac on and off. .
Ding ding ding. Car should idle up when the AC comes on. For the specific purpose of the issue you are having. Seems like I remember a sensor for the clutch on the side of the AC, then more sensors in the line. I have the FSM's and it is detailed, you should pick up the FSM's if you don't have them.
Old 06-17-10, 08:14 AM
RED95sc
Pole Position

but if the sensor on the line is bad, then his AC wouldnt get cold inside at all, seems to me his ac is cold, just his car overheats when, or does it...i know if that connector is not connected, the AC wont engage.
Old 06-17-10, 08:29 AM
magneti
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RED95sc
but if the sensor on the line is bad, then his AC wouldnt get cold inside at all, seems to me his ac is cold, just his car overheats when, or does it...i know if that connector is not connected, the AC wont engage.
a/c was never ice cold. I added some freon but it didnt really need any. it runs cold upon startup then suffers even with car running at normal temps. It works well but certainly doesnt freeze you out like most sc's.

then i saw it leaked coolant from heater control valve. seems when its hot thats where it leaks from but i dont let it run hot for long so i never noticed when til i paid closer attention.

also the rpms go up a little as its supposed to sometimes when i kick the a/c on. not sure if thats supposed to happen all the time?

i havent had time to really do anything to it this week so im just trying to figure it out as you guys help me along.
Old 06-17-10, 09:07 AM
RED95sc
Pole Position

oh damn, so ur AC not even cold at all.

Quick Reply: Car overheats with a/c on?