Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

In with the GTE

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-10, 10:24 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cartmill take that thing apart.
do not put it in your car like that.
in fact, take the head to be cleaned/inspected/rebuilt if necessary.

have you drained the oil (or lack thereof) out of the pan?
i would be surprised if that engine still has bearings.

you may be better off getting a refund or replacement with good pictures.
what company did you buy from?
I'm in the process of removing the head to be cleaned as well as removing lower pans to inspect, Bought it from TorontoJDM.com..Still haven't herd back from them

PEARL2 I know two palces to take care of the inspection. I have very limited knowledge on doing this swap but let me know if you need a hand.
^Thanks thats good to know!
Old 07-12-10, 10:37 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

those Canadian motors can be a little iffy. Just clean it out and drop 'er in.
some good fluids and a couple of flushes seem like they are in order though.
Old 07-12-10, 02:15 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you do a compression test before you drop her in unless you are planning on oing the head gasket anyways. Dont want to put in the motor with a blown hg. Everythings so much easier when the motor is out of the car.
Old 07-12-10, 05:30 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Can sludge build up like that only be caused by many years of neglect in regular maintenance? Or by sitting for years? How long does it take for sludge like that to build, thats basically what I'm asking.
Old 07-12-10, 05:43 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Ali SC3 those Canadian motors can be a little iffy. Just clean it out and drop 'er in.
some good fluids and a couple of flushes seem like they are in order though.
Your telling me. Oh well just makes me go over everything more extensive.

soarer13oy Make sure you do a compression test before you drop her in unless you are planning on oing the head gasket anyways. Dont want to put in the motor with a blown hg. Everythings so much easier when the motor is out of the car.
Ya I'm waiting for new HG and ARP studs to come in as well. Was going to do Comp test today but should be done when warm while cranking I guess.

ashtray Can sludge build up like that only be caused by many years of neglect in regular maintenance? Or by sitting for years? How long does it take for sludge like that to build, thats basically what I'm asking.
I'm guessing both my buddy that works at Toyota still claims it seems to have low miles. But the stains on cam meant it sat very long.

Here are only a few pics from today GE is ready to come out but Humidy was horrible today almost died.
Attached Thumbnails In with the GTE-incar.jpg   In with the GTE-engn.jpg   In with the GTE-cover.jpg  
Old 07-12-10, 06:39 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the color combo man. Keep your head up. It sucks that the motor came like that, but it's good to see you're taking care of it.
Old 07-12-10, 11:36 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ashtray
Can sludge build up like that only be caused by many years of neglect in regular maintenance? Or by sitting for years? How long does it take for sludge like that to build, thats basically what I'm asking.
I think its more from the motors sitting for so long. The motor i got was a bit like that not as bad, but while swapping oil pans the crank looked very clean. I had my head hot tanked, honed and decked and the head looked very clean afterwards.
Old 07-13-10, 07:28 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those motors get like that from the lack of oil changes. People in Japan especially dont bother changing their oil so much due to having to get rid of the cars at 100k kilometers...

What you need to do is run an engine detergent. Make sure it is turbo safe. Go through a couple of cycles and it will clean everything up very well. The stuff that you can visually see on the cams and upper head should be the last of your worries. That sludge blocking little holes and killing oil pressure should be your main concern.

GL
Old 07-13-10, 07:39 AM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

When i got my 2J it was the same thing, alot of build up on the head and im assuming that in part from the horrible maintenance from the owner in japan and the motor sitting for years and giving the carbon the chance to thicken. Ill tell you this, once it gets started that mess will clear itself out with a little help from some boost. good luck!
Old 07-13-10, 09:05 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would tear that engine apart replace the rings and bearings or Install the GTE Head on the GE block and save some money or just take your time and rebuild the Block.
The Head will need to be freshen up, new Valve seals HOT tank the head.
That your time and do it right, that's why i don't buy JDM engine W/O actually see the engine and removing the Valve cover and lower oil pan.
Old 07-13-10, 02:24 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A motor sitting doesn't cause oil to sludge up on top of things in the head....like I said neglect with oil changes does.....that and running conventional oil with turbos.....too much heat cooks the oil and it starts clinging to stuff as it thickens.
Old 07-13-10, 02:51 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Well I had a little time today so I made a little more progress pretty much got the GE stripped down to what I needed.
Attached Thumbnails In with the GTE-comin-out.jpg   In with the GTE-out.jpg   In with the GTE-na-eng.jpg  
Old 07-13-10, 02:52 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

See something wrong here Ted? We got no Engines!
Attached Thumbnails In with the GTE-we-got-no-engines.jpg   In with the GTE-stripped.jpg   In with the GTE-crank.jpg  
Old 07-13-10, 04:51 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

damn that looks like fun. good luck on cleaning up the GTE. Shouldnt be too bad.
Old 07-14-10, 10:13 AM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gspec
A motor sitting doesn't cause oil to sludge up on top of things in the head....like I said neglect with oil changes does.....that and running conventional oil with turbos.....too much heat cooks the oil and it starts clinging to stuff as it thickens.
Thats what it looks like to me too! How much did you pay for the motor?

Quick Reply: In with the GTE