Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

In with the GTE

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 01:04 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

soarer13oy Man it looks beasty
Thanks first attempt putting her in motor mount on passenger side was way off, actually had to use the passenger mount off the aristo

stockhatch Nice! So have you sorted the wiring already then?
Yes and no. I extended the main ecu harness (took sooo long) and I dont even want to extend the big plug harness. I think im going to just extend what I need from it if anything.
Old 08-05-10, 09:54 AM
qksl2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you try using your stock mounts?

Ian
Old 08-05-10, 12:06 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

qksl2 Did you try using your stock mounts?

Ian
Ya I read on another post that I was supposed to use the SC mounts but it was kinda far off on pass side, so I looked at the mount off the Aristo and it had a forward kick to it, so it lines up now.

*not too many updates just tranny mount is bolted still need to connect drive shaft, shifter linkage used off SC tranny, but it doesn't like to work with the gated shifter so its out for now, Pulled main ecu harness inside, just trying to figure out my body plugs since there not in any 99 SC ecu diagrams, A bit of work more to do before a start attempt.
Old 08-07-10, 04:43 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Hopefully a start up will happen Sunday meanwhile I finally got the rite o2 sensor I think, its from an early 90s 300zx TT its universal so it has 3 wires 2 blacks (heater) and 1 white (signal) this should work rite?
Old 08-07-10, 12:58 PM
JohnMatt
Pole Position

Nice build looking forward to seeing it finished. Quick question though, did you use the same manifold from your GE onto the GTE? I'm new to these engine but I thought they were alittle different??? Thanks
Old 08-07-10, 01:15 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

JohnMatt Nice build looking forward to seeing it finished. Quick question though, did you use the same manifold from your GE onto the GTE? I'm new to these engine but I thought they were alittle different??? Thanks
^ Thank You, and yes they are different have to buy a different manifold.

***Update at a stand still now relizing I cant bolt by drive shaft up to Tranny, the bolt holes looked identical but there off on the output flange ever so slightly ...Looks like I need a sc400 tranny output flange as well. If ANY one has one or knows where to get one itd be a big help!
Old 08-07-10, 01:57 PM
JohnMatt
Pole Position

What manifold did you have and have now?
Old 08-08-10, 03:20 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

*UPDATE* start attempt today didn't go as planned. I wired up what I needed (I think) and added fluids. (noticed I have like no oil on dip stick, tip had a tiny bit and thats with 5+ quarts no leaks). Any way connected Batt and my fuel pump is on at all times even without key, and it wont turn over starter didnt even fire, Fuse box shows the "ETCS" fuse keeps blowing

-have 12v mod done already-

E 10 connections

E10 99SC
-1 IGSW IGSW E19-9
-4 STP STP E18-6
-6 W warning indicator W E19-6
-7 R park/neutral switch STA e18-2 Shift lever P N ign switch start
-21 D1 Fuel pump ecu D1 E19-4
-22 FPC Fuel pump ecu FPC E19-5
-24 MREL Efi main relay BM e19-7
-31 +B Efi main relay BM e19-7
-32 Blank Grounded
-33 Batt thick black wire w red stripe

Big Grey body plug
-22 pwr to ignitor coil BM e19-7
-53 linked to ignotro coil VSV possibly power link- Batt const.
-14 Ground/Engine Grounded
-23 Ground to engine Grounded

(engines Grounded as well)

Guess I'm not as good with wiring as once thought Help please
Attached Thumbnails In with the GTE-unoo.jpg   In with the GTE-dosee.jpg   In with the GTE-trees.jpg  
Old 08-08-10, 04:27 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

with a dry engine that's been sitting around, you'll need more oil than 5 quarts on these. I put in 7 quarts on my first start up then let it sit and run for 10 mins. After that, changed the oil and the filter (should be about 5 quarts going in this time) and then ran it for a few hundred miles and repeated. Do this 5 times and then you can go on regular intervals (i go with 1000 miles on mine)
Old 08-08-10, 05:45 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not recommend overfilling. With the windage and frothing, you are going to aerate the oil pretty badly which will actually work against you regarding lubrication.

Also if you overfill it by too much, you could theoretically block the turbo return. Then you back oil up into the turbo and blow past its seals. Just run a cheap oil through a couple heat cycles, drain, and change. You could do that a couple times with cheap oil of you are really paranoid about cooties.

PS, sorry I am not much help with wiring. I am a hands on "gotta have it in my face" person when it comes to complicated wiring. Good luck man, I know there are some wiring gurus on here that will help you out.
Old 08-08-10, 05:59 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh and from a search, it looks like the TT does take between 5.5 and 6 quarts. My bad, but I still say don't overfill it. Looks like you could safely dump at least another half quart in it. Actually, you could probably put another full quart in and be fine
Old 08-08-10, 08:23 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stockhatch
I would not recommend overfilling. With the windage and frothing, you are going to aerate the oil pretty badly which will actually work against you regarding lubrication.

Also if you overfill it by too much, you could theoretically block the turbo return. Then you back oil up into the turbo and blow past its seals. Just run a cheap oil through a couple heat cycles, drain, and change. You could do that a couple times with cheap oil of you are really paranoid about cooties.

PS, sorry I am not much help with wiring. I am a hands on "gotta have it in my face" person when it comes to complicated wiring. Good luck man, I know there are some wiring gurus on here that will help you out.
This is true, but keep on mind this is a DRY startup, this engine hasn't seen oil in god knows how long. With a regular run of the mill oil change the car already has oil sitting in the engine from it's previous usage. One that's been sitting around for a while though will have all that time for the rest of the oil to drain out or coke up and dry. It'll need that extra quart or two to get through the engine and do it's magic. After that you can do your oil changes at it's normal amounts.
Old 08-08-10, 08:56 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by SC51
*UPDATE* start attempt today didn't go as planned. I wired up what I needed (I think) and added fluids. (noticed I have like no oil on dip stick, tip had a tiny bit and thats with 5+ quarts no leaks). Any way connected Batt and my fuel pump is on at all times even without key, and it wont turn over starter didnt even fire, Fuse box shows the "ETCS" fuse keeps blowing
just keep an eye on the oil level after it starts up, it sounds like you are a bit low, I usually put in 5.5 in there im sure it would take a bit more if it was drained completely like yours. always have oil on the dipstick at the proper marks.

for the starting, are you sure you got the wiring for the main relay right.
with the 12v mod, the pump should only be on with the key in the ignition.
Old 08-09-10, 04:43 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Interesting ya I put in like 5.5 and its at the low mark so I'll add some more before the start.

Ali SC3
for the starting, are you sure you got the wiring for the main relay right.
with the 12v mod, the pump should only be on with the key in the ignition.
I didn't touch any relays just traced wires on my old harness that went from the body directly to the ecu, alot of wires I cant identify because I don't have all the schematics. I think I just wired to many things together, I'm going to try hooking less things up to try for a start.
Old 08-09-10, 10:32 AM
qksl2
Pole Position

Is your main relay on all the time with the batt on?

Ian

Quick Reply: In with the GTE