Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need info... 2JZ-GTE in my 1JZ-GTE Soarer.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-10, 03:24 PM
ZGagnon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info... 2JZ-GTE in my 1JZ-GTE Soarer.

I have probably read all the threads on this site about the 2jz swap and am still unsure about a couple things so im hoping i can start this thread and get every little detail i need.

So my plan is to purchase a 2JZ GTE from most likely a Supra right before winter hits up here in canada, and spend the winter rebuilding and making brand new.

At the moment i have a 1991 1jz twin turbo Soarer, 5 speed, R154 Transmission.

Questions: (we will try to cover everything)

1. Fitment? Obviously a piece of cake

2. Stick with the 1jz loom or use the 2jz and with what modifications?

3. Ecu? keep the 1jz and turn the turbos into parallel? go single, but with which ecu?

4. Also for ecu.. say i buy an automatic 2jzgte with loom n ecu. How will the 2jz ecu work with my 5 speed tranny?

5. When getting the 2jzgte.. what maintance and upgrades would you suggest?

Please can anyone whos done the swap or has been in my situation and has some aswers speak up and help me out. Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again boys
Old 07-09-10, 07:38 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ZGagnon
I have probably read all the threads on this site about the 2jz swap and am still unsure about a couple things so im hoping i can start this thread and get every little detail i need.

So my plan is to purchase a 2JZ GTE from most likely a Supra right before winter hits up here in canada, and spend the winter rebuilding and making brand new.

At the moment i have a 1991 1jz twin turbo Soarer, 5 speed, R154 Transmission.

Questions: (we will try to cover everything)

1. Fitment? Obviously a piece of cake

2. Stick with the 1jz loom or use the 2jz and with what modifications?

3. Ecu? keep the 1jz and turn the turbos into parallel? go single, but with which ecu?

4. Also for ecu.. say i buy an automatic 2jzgte with loom n ecu. How will the 2jz ecu work with my 5 speed tranny?

5. When getting the 2jzgte.. what maintance and upgrades would you suggest?

Please can anyone whos done the swap or has been in my situation and has some aswers speak up and help me out. Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again boys
You have a 1jz already only reason to step up to a 2jzgte is more torque and higher hp gains at the end with a big single turbo. I would just single your 1jz.

However if you were going to get a 2jzgte.

1) Fitment is fine, a little tight in some areas but you are looking fine with the R154.

2) I believe you need to use the 2jzgte loom I never seen a 1jz.

3-4) ECU you can use a auto 2jzgte ecu but you need to cross a few wires to make it work. Someone on the forums as a DIY.

5) Maintance I would do the normal timing belt/waterpump/sparkplugs/all fluids ( get a colder grade sparkplug ). Performance add a front mount intercooler, boost controller, greddy fuel cut, downpipe, exhaust, depending on your gas octane in your area crank the boost to 15psi-18psi and enjoy around 350-370whp.

If you want huge power go single T67 or 61 ~ when the motor is out, get a AEM standalone, upgrade your fuel pump and injectors to higher than 550cc and boost the same amount for about 500+ whp depending on your octane.

supraforums is a good read when you have time. Good luck.

Last edited by eliteskill; 07-09-10 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-09-10, 12:12 PM
ZGagnon
Lead Lap

appreciate the input

So single the 1jz you say eh!!!?

I guess if i priced it all out it may be a tad cheaper to just single what i got and rebuild the 1jz with the new belt, fuel pump, cams, gaskets, manifold, etc etc

My car is honestly a weekend toy slash show car. I really am not gonna track it much or if at all so im looking for somehting thats gonna catch peoples eyes when they look under my hood. The 2jz just looks newer and sexier then the 1jz.

Any specific turbos thatd be good for a weekend soarer?

Parts that will be needed?

- Turbo (obviously)
- Manifold
- Upgrade fuel pump
- New oil lines
- upgrade fuel injectors
- FMIC (i have)
- Boost controller
- Wideband 02 (had one just sold it, damn!)
- possibly new cams

Add to list what im missing..

and the gas i use up here is 94 octane.
Old 07-09-10, 01:00 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

A full 2jzgte is never a walk in the park. You will run into many headaches looking for "misc" parts.

You can piece together a turbo kit for cheap. Or look for a whole kit for your 1jzgte. Supraforums or Club NA-T is a place to look at. Polish and dress up your 1jzgte engine and it will look just as nice.

- Turbo (your choice based on power goals and spool time)
- Manifold
- What kind of fuel pump do you have now? how much does it flow?
- Whats your stock injectors? normally you go for 1cc = 1whp. Never max your duty cycle on injectors or else u going get burned. So say 550cc.. you will aim for 480-500whp.
- FMIC 3 core or 4 core?
- Boost controller anything is fine I just run Manual Boost controller, Wideband for sure, Cams are not always needed but you do get more HP but more turbo lag as well. Get a boost gauge.
- You need a engine management. If you have the money go standalone and dont look back.

If you have 94 octane congratz boost 18psi and be happy =)
I am stuck with 91 octane at 15psi. =(

Up 2 you on what you want to do. I would single as a 2jzgte swap is really a pain the a$$.