Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My Key Stuck in the ignition!!! help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-10, 04:28 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation My Key Stuck in the ignition!!! help

since 2 days ago my key has been stuck in the ignition in the 'on' position and wont come out. I can turn on the car with on with no problem but when i turn it off, i just cant remove the key. I had to disconnect the battery so it wont drain. I've nudged/straightened out the steereing wheel various times hoping this will work, but it wont give. Telescoping works fine oddly enough.
Anyone else had this problem? What did you do..

my car is bate sitting overnight with keys in the ignition..
Old 07-16-10, 05:26 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

...i know when its in gear you can't remove the key..surely its in park since it starts..but maybe try taking it out of park and putting it back in?? probably not the best idea but first thing that comes to mind..
Old 07-18-10, 08:05 AM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i replaced the spring in the shifter. problem solved.
Old 07-18-10, 10:49 AM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

glad you got it fixed.. figured it had to be something along those lines however i probably wouldn't of realized it was a spring..
Old 07-19-10, 08:35 PM
GottaLex95
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im having the same issue. Where did you get the spring?
Old 07-30-10, 05:01 PM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

I'm having the same problem, my car is a sc400 & it wont release the key when I turn off the car. What spring did you have to change to get it working again?
The key is stuck in the first position BTW.
Old 11-27-10, 02:54 AM
fleecer
Driver

same problem here.... what spring was it?
Old 12-01-10, 08:22 AM
sumotime
Rookie

I had same problem. I sprayed some WD 40 into the key slot and it came loose. Slow down inserting and taking out the key as the key system is older . This has worked for me . IHTH Mark
Old 04-16-11, 01:12 PM
tpham86
Pole Position

just encountered this same problem after yanking out my dash. what spring did u swap out MIGS? this is annoying, only way to take out my key is to pull the battery
Old 04-16-11, 01:17 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Encountered the same issue a few months back now, I ended up having to press the shift lock release (battery was dead) and hold it down in park to let the key out.
Old 08-08-15, 08:08 AM
Psp2308
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem.. I disconnect negative terminal and then I am able to take the key out... so then I reconnect the battery and I don't have to leave keys in ignition when I go places...
Old 07-17-19, 08:22 PM
sbd222888
Driver School Candidate

Well, it happened to me today. Thank God for this forum. Couldn't get the key out of my SC430. Did the nudging to the left while in Park and that did the trick. Noticed there was a wad of gum wrapper stopping the shifter from going to the left while in Park. Stupid kids!
Old 09-19-19, 06:14 PM
ChopsGS
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I like how this "MIGS" dude posts a problem, then claims to have solved it by replacing some unknown spring, then a bunch of people ask about it and he never responds. Swell person he was...

Anyway, with my mild rant over, I'm having the same issue in my '01 LS430. I have to turn the car back on, then back off again. After the first or second time, I releases the key. It's done it only a few random times here lately, but it's annoying and I don't want it to get worse.

Has anyway come up with a solid fix for this yet?... 9 years later?
Old 05-17-20, 02:50 AM
Delp
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all I'm also having this problem. Stuck in P. It started when I removed the shifter assembly to clean it out. Car starts o.k but key only be release with battery off. There is a shift lock lever spring which I think I put in wrong way but I've tried different ways still nothing. Recommend fused to check for this there all o.k. I haven't checked the brake switch yet any help be appreciated.

​​​​​​

Last edited by Delp; 05-17-20 at 02:56 AM.
Old 09-05-20, 07:32 PM
Jahnoi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MIGS
since 2 days ago my key has been stuck in the ignition in the 'on' position and wont come out. I can turn on the car with on with no problem but when i turn it off, i just cant remove the key. I had to disconnect the battery so it wont drain. I've nudged/straightened out the steereing wheel various times hoping this will work, but it wont give. Telescoping works fine oddly enough.
Anyone else had this problem? What did you do..

my car is bate sitting overnight with keys in the ignition..
Mine did the same thing too. But some how I went to grab the charger for my phone and it was stuck in the shifter when it was in park. I think my key didn’t had came out because my car wasn’t in park. Try seeing if there’s something stuck in between where the shifter for park.

Quick Reply: My Key Stuck in the ignition!!! help