Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How important is the rotor/cap/coils/plugs/wires maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-10, 06:27 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How important is the rotor/cap/coils/plugs/wires maintenance?

My SC is in fantastic condition 95 model with 144k. If the car isn't giving me problems, is it still a good idea to do the stated maintenance of coils, rotor, cap etc.? Unfortunately, I don't have a service history prior to the last owner (Basically, I know the history going back for a about 1.5 years) Should I just do a visual inspection of the items?
Old 08-03-10, 06:32 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Preventative maintenance helps keep your car in tip-top shape. You want to prevent the big repairs by taking care of the little things. I would at least replace plugs and wires; fuel filter will help too.
Old 08-03-10, 06:35 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
Preventative maintenance helps keep your car in tip-top shape. You want to prevent the big repairs by taking care of the little things. I would at least replace plugs and wires; fuel filter will help too.
I've heard horror stories about that fuel filter I guess I should take a look and see how old the wires etc look. Now to figure how to do that lol
Old 08-03-10, 06:38 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you get a good set of line wrenches, may cost more up front but will become a life saver. Those fittings on the fuel filter are easily stripped.
Old 08-03-10, 09:00 PM
MrBrock
Driver

Originally Posted by FireCode
My SC is in fantastic condition 95 model with 144k. If the car isn't giving me problems, is it still a good idea to do the stated maintenance of coils, rotor, cap etc.? Unfortunately, I don't have a service history prior to the last owner (Basically, I know the history going back for a about 1.5 years) Should I just do a visual inspection of the items?
You can find out what services have been done at the dealer with your VIN#. Or register on Lexus Drivers site and pull it up on there.
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...on/register.do
Mine was last at the dealer at 80k miles and last time dealer changed plugs was 60k, I'm at 178k. It's on my list of things to do.
Nice feature on that site is that you can update your own service info. Easier than keeping a folder full of receipts.
Old 08-03-10, 10:09 PM
V8drummer
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBrock
You can find out what services have been done at the dealer with your VIN#. Or register on Lexus Drivers site and pull it up on there.
Mine was last at the dealer at 80k miles and last time dealer changed plugs was 60k, I'm at 178k. It's on my list of things to do.
Nice feature on that site is that you can update your own service info. Easier than keeping a folder full of receipts.
cool website, my car has a ton of maintenance history on there.
Old 08-03-10, 10:47 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MrBrock
Sweet site! Too bad my service history stopped at 83k miles right before the 90k mark lol.
Old 08-04-10, 01:53 AM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

just make sure that the rotor, caps, timing belt are changed (100k kms, 60k mile).
at the same time check the waterpump for any weaping out of the seal.
if so, replace while the front of the engine is apart.

everything else is external and can be changed at anytime
Old 08-04-10, 10:20 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cap and rotor is less than $25 and can be easily installed in less than 30 minutes. Get the required Denso plugs and get new wires.

You think your car is running fine but you never know.

You also need to change ATF and ATF filter, coolant, belts, PS fluid, filters, fuel filter.

My car is running fine too but I wanted to last at least at easy 250K. I spent about 1k on parts just to have peace of mind.

Fuel filter is tricky, it is easy to take off the old one. You think that it will strip but it won't, the first half of the thread seems like it will strip but after the half, it will go all the way in with ease. I think the new fuel filter being installed is supposed to be tight , I guess it's a locking spec made for it? No wonder they don't use Teflon.
Old 08-04-10, 12:25 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I just hit 140k and my rotor went out in a grocery store parking lot.
car sounded like it was running on 2 cylinders and a lot of clicking from the dizzy.
I knew it was old, if I had just spent the 10 minutes and $10 before i got stranded I wouldn't have wasted half a day getting a ride to the auto store.

If you are not sure go out and look at it. take all 3 whopping screws off the dizzy cap and look at the rotor. for the timing belt, take off the timing belt cover (6 or so bolts) and check the belt for cracks etc. you can even crank it over a click at a time with the key to see the whole belt (try not to let it start obviously). if you have an allen key and a screw driver your are talking 20 minutes max to do all of that.
Old 08-04-10, 01:53 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I just hit 140k and my rotor went out in a grocery store parking lot.
car sounded like it was running on 2 cylinders and a lot of clicking from the dizzy.
I knew it was old, if I had just spent the 10 minutes and $10 before i got stranded I wouldn't have wasted half a day getting a ride to the auto store.

If you are not sure go out and look at it. take all 3 whopping screws off the dizzy cap and look at the rotor. for the timing belt, take off the timing belt cover (6 or so bolts) and check the belt for cracks etc. you can even crank it over a click at a time with the key to see the whole belt (try not to let it start obviously). if you have an allen key and a screw driver your are talking 20 minutes max to do all of that.
Might be a little different for an SC400 or are you speaking of an SC400? In regards to how to check.
Old 08-04-10, 02:26 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

lol, darn v8's have been getting me lately. I just read SC and i always assume 2j.
that was totally for a sc300, but just multiply everything by 2 and its close to the same.
you have 2 distributors and you can take the covers off and then the caps and check the rotors on both, there are more covers on the 400 but nothing you can't handle.
as for the timing belt, I think there are there are two covers for inspection on the 400, it may even be the distributor cover as I think the belt wraps around the dizzy but im not a 400 expert at all, I just know that toyota always makes it so you can inspect it easily, and there are 2 spots you can do it on a 400.

check out post 13, you can see the belt wrapped around the distributors (the 2 thing with the orange rotors.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-question.html

Last edited by Ali SC3; 08-04-10 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-04-10, 02:38 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lol just do it... Funny side story on simple maintenance,... I have 1995 1uz I stuck into my MK3 Supra... all was well and then it stopped starting... Well we determinded that spark was coming from the wires... and injectors were firing.. so whats the issue...

I pulled the spark plugs and sure enough... OEM Denso.. Original plugs when the engine first ran... I could not believe it that the previous owner had NOT even changed the plugs. Threw them away, put some cheap copper NGK's to get me rolling and what do you know, the car fires up and idles better than it has ever.

Simple $20 maintenance, kept my car from running.

Do it.
Old 08-04-10, 02:45 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
lol just do it... Funny side story on simple maintenance,... I have 1995 1uz I stuck into my MK3 Supra... all was well and then it stopped starting... Well we determinded that spark was coming from the wires... and injectors were firing.. so whats the issue...

I pulled the spark plugs and sure enough... OEM Denso.. Original plugs when the engine first ran... I could not believe it that the previous owner had NOT even changed the plugs. Threw them away, put some cheap copper NGK's to get me rolling and what do you know, the car fires up and idles better than it has ever.

Simple $20 maintenance, kept my car from running.

Do it.
Will Do! 10 chars
Old 08-04-10, 02:46 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
lol, darn v8's have been getting me lately. I just read SC and i always assume 2j.
that was totally for a sc300, but just multiply everything by 2 and its close to the same.
you have 2 distributors and you can take the covers off and then the caps and check the rotors on both, there are more covers on the 400 but nothing you can't handle.
as for the timing belt, I think there are there are two covers for inspection on the 400, it may even be the distributor cover as I think the belt wraps around the dizzy but im not a 400 expert at all, I just know that toyota always makes it so you can inspect it easily, and there are 2 spots you can do it on a 400.

check out post 13, you can see the belt wrapped around the distributors (the 2 thing with the orange rotors.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-question.html
Thank you