Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another timing belt question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-10, 12:18 AM
rayray76
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to figure out why i have a check engine light.. I just noticed the back of my left ignition module shattered.. i can still see bits of the plastic pieces in my engine bay...

i wonder if that could be causing a check engine light...
Attached Thumbnails Another timing belt question-dscf1674-1-.jpg  
Old 08-08-10, 11:00 PM
rayray76
Driver

Hey everyone .. I am stumped...

you all saw the first video i posted after tightening the crank pulley and running the engine sounded fine.. I did not have the intake hooked up and the car was on jack stands...

OK.. so i put on my intake and took the car off the stands and started her up and now the knocking sound is back

i dont understand..

Anyhow from the sound of it can anyone chime in if redoing my timing belt would take care of this or is my engine toast...

Im really confused by the knocking being gone one sec and then back the next...

HELP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC9Vmv8yeGg
Old 08-08-10, 11:37 PM
rayray76
Driver

Really need some of the experts to chime in here..

These are my timing marks with the top belt covers off and the crank pulley set to tdc..

Does the timing look good on all three... if it does then im thinking maybe i did something to damage the engine.. the left cam moved on me while i had the crank at tdc but i didnt hear anything strange when it happened.. all i did was set it back to position with a wrench and kept going ... other than that the whole job was uneventful till now...

any input is appreciated..
Attached Thumbnails Another timing belt question-dscf1681.jpg   Another timing belt question-dscf1685.jpg   Another timing belt question-dscf1688.jpg  
Old 08-10-10, 02:26 AM
rayray76
Driver

Just got in from replacing the timing belt with a genuine toyota belt.. here is what i found.

1.) while installing the toyota belt going around the left cam i immediately noticed it was off by two teeth. Something that was difficult for me to observe using the cheepo belt I bought online due to the marks not being right .

2.) after installing my NTN tensioner for the second time .. after clamping it down i noticed there was still too much play on the tensioner pulley even after removing the pin... so i put the old tensioner back in and the play disappeared.
I wonder if there was too much play all along with the new tensioner. (which i also bought online)

The car is running smoothly now. I have not been able to road test it but it sounds and revs just like it did before.. which is good.

Morale of this story..

Dont be a cheepo when it comes to crucial parts . Go to the stealership, bend over and like it. I had to to install my friggin timing belt twice because of not buying OEM and possibly risked some serious engine damage while i was at it.

Anyhow going to do the final touches tomorrow then go for a test drive.
Old 08-11-10, 09:14 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the new NTN tensioner sucks? Have you compared the old and the new side by side? I bought the NTN tensioner myself... Damn that is totally going to suck if I get the same problem with it. I guess I'll contact the seller and inform him of this issue.
Old 08-12-10, 03:17 AM
rayray76
Driver

As far as the ntn tensioner goes... It was definately shot after being clamped down the second time. Tesioner was toast. I was able to clamp it down using a regular wood clamp.. The old tensioner i had to wedge it between a steel frame and a clamped it down using a 2 ton jack. Now thats a tensioner.. fas as i can tell the NTN tensioner = JUNK.
Old 08-12-10, 10:04 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rayray76
As far as the ntn tensioner goes... It was definately shot after being clamped down the second time. Tesioner was toast. I was able to clamp it down using a regular wood clamp.. The old tensioner i had to wedge it between a steel frame and a clamped it down using a 2 ton jack. Now thats a tensioner.. fas as i can tell the NTN tensioner = JUNK.
I just purchased an NTN tensioner. Maybe you messed it up somehow?
Old 08-12-10, 10:15 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Isn't NTN an OESupplier for Toyota? I am still trying to figure out if it's true.

I found this on ebay, it says OEM and it looks like an NTN tensioner, see the three letters?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Timin...ts_Accessories

Does your old tensioner says Toyota?

Last edited by JesLet; 08-12-10 at 10:19 AM.