Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another timing belt question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-10, 11:59 PM
rayray76
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt change just took turn for the worst. read up.

I am changing my timing belt. I have set the crank to tdc. verified that piston 1 is at the top and set the two cams to their respective engine marks. (10:00,2:00). But the belt i bought simply will not line up with the marks. I can get 2/3. either the 2 cams or the crank and the left cam. I have lined up the the 2 cams.... the crank mark on the belt ended up in line with one of the "oil" markings on the crank. Im guessing the engine doesn't care if my belt marks dont line up so long as i got the right belt on and everything was set to tdc when i installed it..

I bought a "aisin" belt and pump kit online but im wondering now about the OEM'ness of the marking on the belt. Could i have done something wrong? Im positive everything was set to tdc. I got the old belt and compared markings and the cam marks lined up but the crank mark was at a different distance....

Looking for some input here just to be sure.. the engine is turning fine when i turn it from the crank no noises or anything strange. If it was out of timing bad enough to damage something I guess it wold be apparent when i turn the engine by hand...

anyhow looking for some good input here casue Im kinda worried aboiut the whole belt markings situation...

Thanks.

Last edited by rayray76; 08-07-10 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-07-10, 12:16 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stretch the old/new belt side by side. Maybe one is a little longer... I've always wondered about this myself. For example, i've seen some says something like 233 teeth, 245 teeth or whatever for the same type of vehicle. I've seen them mostly on ebay even tho it is listed for like 92-96 or 95-97 or 92-99 SC300 or SC400

You said the camshaft marks on the timing belt on the new and old match up, how about the mark on the crankshaft? Does it also match?

Anyhow, if you have it lined up on the cams and the crank, put the tensioner in then turn the crank around to see if the timing marks still lines up.

Good luck.
Old 08-07-10, 12:35 AM
rayray76
Driver

209 teeth for a 95 sc400.

The cam markings are the same but the crank markings wont line up. Im going to throw on the tensioner again and turn her a couple times to see what happens.

Im guessing if it keeps the timing every two turns then everyting is ok.. and if i have a major problem ill be able to feel something wrong when hand turning.... I HOPE...anyway here goes...
Old 08-07-10, 01:03 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah.. just turn the crank manually a few times instead of firing it up. Better be safe than sorry you know. Maybe the old one or new is longer/shorter. I'll be doing the timing myself as well (99 SC400). I still have about 30K miles to go but I'll probably do it after I put about 20K miles on it. I have everything sitting in my room (cam seals, crankshaft seal, idler pulley 1 and 2, belt tensioner, water pump, gaskets, thermostat, timing belt and serpentine belt). Might as well do "everything" while i'm in there you know

Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 08-07-10, 01:09 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

By the way, are you sure you are putting the timing belt on? There is an arrow of which should be facing on the front. The arrow should be by the crank marking of the t-belt.
Old 08-07-10, 01:12 AM
rayray76
Driver

well .... the belt marking are allover the place... but.. every time i get to the O mark on the the crank the engine marks on my cams are right where they should be.... just the belt marking are not making any sense.. engine turns good . i got the plugs out so its not so hard... I guess i can either go to the stealer ship and get a real toyota belt .. or i can go with what i got. Im thinking it doesn't matter so long as the cam marking and crank marking keep in time with each other.. which is what seems to be happening..

Dont really wan to take the belt off again....
Old 08-07-10, 01:14 AM
rayray76
Driver

this crap belt only has a line as a marking no arrow... it does however show the direction the belt should rotate.. its on right as far as that goes.. I guess if something is bad it just wont run right cause the engine turns pretty good by hand....
Old 08-07-10, 01:16 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

I think you are ok since the marks lines up. Have you seen the DIY on lexls website?

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html

There should only be 3 marks on the belt plus the 2 small one in front by the crank just like pictured below.

Old 08-07-10, 01:19 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IIRC the Gates belts dont have markings on them, only rotation guide/arrow. As long as your cams/crank are aligned properly, I dont see a problem..cause frankly I was shocked at how easy it was to do the timing belt vs. an SR/KA which has both timing chain marks and the cams/crank.
Old 08-07-10, 01:26 AM
rayray76
Driver

turbo thats what im thinking.. the engine wont give two cents about where the markings are on the belt... I know that everytime i come back around to tdc piston 1 is at the top and the cams marks are lined up with the engine marks... so i think im good but was worried a little. IM going to tkae a quick pic and try post it to show yo guys.
Old 08-07-10, 01:42 AM
rayray76
Driver

left cam looks a tooth low but i think im paranoid at this point.. wha you guys think .. ? this is what i get every tdc.
Attached Thumbnails Another timing belt question-dscf1669.jpg   Another timing belt question-dscf1670.jpg   Another timing belt question-dscf1671.jpg  
Old 08-07-10, 10:30 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rayray76
... the engine wont give two cents about where the markings are on the belt... I know that everytime i come back around to tdc piston 1 is at the top and the cams marks are lined up with the engine marks...
BINGO!
Old 08-07-10, 09:42 PM
rayray76
Driver

It doesnt look good for me..
Heres what happened . I started up the car and it ran an idled pretty good. I let it get to temperature and reved it up to 2-2.5k . It seemed ok. SO.. I shut her down and put all my spark wire covers on and secured my maf the right way and got her all back together.. took about 20 minutes.... then i get back in and im fixing to take her out for a short drive... but when i start he up this time Im getting a knocking sound.. as far as sound goes its a deep low pitch knock. I shut the car down after about 30 seconds of trying to figure out what the hell just happened..

Theres a couple things im worried about. I know for sure i didnt get the crank pulley tightened to 200+ ft lbs of torque.. also im wondering maybe i didnt tighten the tensioner enough... last but not least even though i checked the timing by turning the engine multiple times by hand the markings on the belt never actually lined up even though the cam marks and crank marks lined up just right every two turns...

Anyhow can anyone here tell me if they think the engine is toast . I dont want to start it again and plan on getting a belt from the dealer and doing the whole job over again but im really wondering if that knock sound meant dead engine..
Old 08-07-10, 10:47 PM
rayray76
Driver

well i pulled the timing belt covers off and set engine to tdc and the timing is fine...
guess thats why it starts right up ...

going to try tighten up the crank pulley to at least 200ft lbs...
then start her up again...
Old 08-07-10, 11:55 PM
rayray76
Driver

Well I tightened the crank shaft pulley using the flex plate method . My torque ratchet only goes to 160 ft pounds so i know i got at least that ... The knocking seems to have gone away.. i do have a check engine light. .

I posted a youtube video of my engine idling without the knocking sound after tightening the crank pully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Eied-Dwi8E

Quick Reply: Another timing belt question