Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Timing belt jumped a tooth. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-10, 12:04 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Alright just got the crank pulley bolt off. I filled the first cylinder with nylon rope and turned it so the piston compressed the rope and "gently" broke the bolt loose. Wasn't too bad. I'm gonna go rent the crank pulley puller tool thingy now, but what do you guys think about the positions of the cams? Is it possible that both jumped teeth? Or are they supposed to be offset like that?
Old 08-28-10, 12:33 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not sure about the timing jumping but leave the crank at tdc, and line the cams w/sprockets to the marks behind the cam gears and install the belt. In my opinion it seems like your timing is pretty off. Looks like about a tooth off on the intake cam and 4 on the exhaust cam.

Last edited by soarer13oy; 08-28-10 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-28-10, 03:27 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

So I finally found the culprit. A small piece of plastic had gotten underneath the timing cover and slipped between the belt and the gear on the crankshaft. This must have caused the tooth jumping. After setting the engine to TDC, I noticed the exhaust cam had slipped 5 teeth and the intake cam had slipped 4. I just got the front of the engine back together and hooked up the battery to start it up. It started after a few cranks but idled kind of rough. Otherwise it seems to be fine. At least it started. I'm gonna hook everything back up tomorrow and hopefully have it running fully by tomorrow night.

Here's the culprit.
Name:  photo-110.jpg
Views: 2744
Size:  38.4 KB
Old 08-28-10, 04:40 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

if something fell down in there, you might want to check all your covers for signs of rubbing from the timing belt.
Old 08-28-10, 04:53 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Disregard... misinformation.

Last edited by Gspec; 08-28-10 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-28-10, 05:20 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gspec
I hate to break it to you, but if the cam gears were that far off, there's a big possibility that the valves contacted the pistons, bending them, and resulting in that rough idle you experienced after fixing the timing.
Hunh????

Damn, I always thought the 1JZ was a non-interference engine, is that not true then? Or is it just in the non-VVTi engines?

Last edited by good2go; 08-28-10 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-28-10, 05:58 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn, I had that all wrong....I've had in in my head for the longest time the the 2jz's (which I thought he had) were interference engines, but I was wrong about that as well. I looked on wikipedia and seems that only the vvti motors are interference engines. Sorry about that!!
Old 08-28-10, 06:04 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

No worries man. I checked all the covers and everything and none of them were cracked or anything. I did find a few other small pieces of plastic down there, but that was it. I have no idea where the plastic came from either. It's gray and I don't think there is any other gray plastic around. It must have gotten down there when I took off the valve covers or something. Hopefully nothing got in there too!!!
Old 08-28-10, 06:55 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you run it open up top to where the gears are exposed? I am debating running open up top because it looks cool, but if things tend to fall in there I guess its not worth it LOL. Nice work getting it sorted out.
Old 08-28-10, 08:30 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OneJay
Alright just got the crank pulley bolt off. I filled the first cylinder with nylon rope and turned it so the piston compressed the rope and "gently" broke the bolt loose. Wasn't too bad. I'm gonna go rent the crank pulley puller tool thingy now, but what do you guys think about the positions of the cams? Is it possible that both jumped teeth? Or are they supposed to be offset like that?
OK, so I get how this works and all, but it's still haunting me how you kept it from possibly bending a valve??
Old 08-28-10, 10:32 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Do you run it open up top to where the gears are exposed? I am debating running open up top because it looks cool, but if things tend to fall in there I guess its not worth it LOL. Nice work getting it sorted out.
No I run it with everything on there. Probably just happened when I had it off.
Originally Posted by good2go
OK, so I get how this works and all, but it's still haunting me how you kept it from possibly bending a valve??
I made sure it was on the compression stroke so all the valves were closed.

Is it still possible to bend a valve that way though? I've read about the rope trick before, and it seems to work with most people, but who knows really.

Last edited by OneJay; 08-28-10 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-28-10, 11:01 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

^^ well, next time I'd be happy to loan you my crank tool if you're willing to pick it up and return it; I'm in the east bay.
Old 08-28-10, 11:39 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

That would have been awesome. I'm in Colorado right now though. I'll be back in about three weeks though assuming I ever get my damn car working again.
Old 08-29-10, 06:13 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On a properly timed engine, making sure its on the compression stroke should work, but when your cams are off like yours, I would think it may be possible to bend a valve...
Old 08-29-10, 08:33 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

I didn't even think of that. Now I'm just remembering how it sounded like it was running kind of rough when I started it back up! Hopefully I didn't just dig myself into a deeper hole. I guess I'll hook everything up today and hope it works. I really don't want to have to pull the head.

Quick Reply: Timing belt jumped a tooth. Now what?