Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Out with the Aristo tranny

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 04:37 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question. I'm trying to save a little $ since my new job is put on hold due to a skating accident i had wrist surgery the other day, now I can't work for a bit and I still need to fund fixing the trans.

Ive already ordered the MC bearing plate and trust washer, my last check comes Fri I wanted to order the rebuild kit (bearings/syncros) Is the MC 1-2nd shift fork a must for most you guys. Id like to save the 140$ on that part but if you guys highly recommend it I'll go with it. Anyone running one? whats the benefit.. I don't slam gears at all
Old 05-14-11, 10:45 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

* Update wrist is decent, back to work. I removed my Trans/ Diff the other day and drained the fluid in the tranny A lot of metallic and dark fluid, after it was done draining I look in the drain hole and there a little sheet rock screw just laying in there... Syfoned the oil out and found 2 more complete sheet rock screws and a ground up mangled one

So anyone who buys a used tranny that's been sitting around in a garage for 5+ years do yourself a favor and open it up before you put it in, I mean I doubt they were put in there deliberately, they prob just fell off a table and happened to go down the shifter hole is my guess..

But all my MC upgrade part$ as well as new Redline fluid will be here next Fri and I will give it to my Supra guy. HOPEFULLY there wont be too much damage in there.
Old 05-14-11, 10:50 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ouch. The old screw chew mod. Good luck with the rebuild mang.
Old 05-14-11, 11:14 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

man it's one after the other sucks, but hey what can we do? nothing just be patient and deal with with that's the route we choose to go... if it's not the tranny it's engine or wiring lol.

i was looking on mC website it looks like they don't sell the rebuild kit anymore on the their site not sure why, but i will be calling them monday i have (2) R154 projects right now both off them have very low miles under 86k miles.

good luck man if you need any help you know what to do..
Old 05-14-11, 06:31 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

^Ya thanks for the support, I just can't wait to finally enjoy my car I noticed that as well but Driftmotion sells the rebuild kit. I haven't ordered it yet I'm gonna wait and see what the builder recommends, MC bushing, bearing retainer, thrust washer, and shift fork hopefully should help tho!
Old 05-23-11, 01:37 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

*UPDATE* Look like I'm screwed literally. Just got back from the Trans shop to drop my thrust washer off. And hes like dude You gotta see this! Box of about 50+ Sheet rock screws that were inside the damn tranny, chipped up a bunch of gears Just beyond pissed off rite now. So now hes gotta try and price out gears for it or try and find another R154 that I can't find anywhere around here. Almost feel like giving up by the time I can afford to fix the damn transmission it will be winter again
Old 05-23-11, 01:46 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That blows goats man. Sorry to hear that. I am kinda in the same "ready to give up" boat. I am getting tired of sinking money into my ride too. Gotta love this hobby. It's enough to drive somebody insane!
Old 05-24-11, 04:17 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC51
*UPDATE* Look like I'm screwed literally. Just got back from the Trans shop to drop my thrust washer off. And hes like dude You gotta see this! Box of about 50+ Sheet rock screws that were inside the damn tranny, chipped up a bunch of gears Just beyond pissed off rite now. So now hes gotta try and price out gears for it or try and find another R154 that I can't find anywhere around here. Almost feel like giving up by the time I can afford to fix the damn transmission it will be winter again
I know bro this crap never ends, get me the part numbers of the gears you need i will see what i can do for you let me know.
Old 05-24-11, 07:11 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

stockhatch That blows goats man. Sorry to hear that. I am kinda in the same "ready to give up" boat. I am getting tired of sinking money into my ride too. Gotta love this hobby. It's enough to drive somebody insane!
Amen too that lol

Quicksc4
I know bro this crap never ends, get me the part numbers of the gears you need i will see what i can do for you let me know.
Alright cool thanks man. How do I go about finding the part numbers. Anyone have a TSRM?
Old 05-24-11, 07:35 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Ok SRM found http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...aspx?S=MT&P=49

But still not sure how to get the part numbers..
Old 05-24-11, 07:59 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Quicksc4
Heres the prob Quicksc4, I talked to my guy today and I guess hes gonna need to order a new main shaft and a few gears. Problem is he looked at the manuals and there's changes in the transmission for each year? So now he needs to know the exact year of the transmission and I'm clueless

Do you have any input on this?

I emailed the person I got it from hopefully they'll know. Or I'll just have to find/purchase another r154
Old 05-24-11, 08:41 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

From the look of the trans mount holes I would say its a 87 or 88. Mine has the same style. I guess it depends what broken inside; the part maybe interchangeble
Old 05-25-11, 09:18 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

meangreen1 From the look of the trans mount holes I would say its a 87 or 88. Mine has the same style. I guess it depends what broken inside; the part maybe interchangeble
Ya I've got the mount holes that are rite next to each other like "Sherns" there not off set like the w58.

I might take a little trip this weekend and pull one out of an 89 for 300$ or I can take the whole car for 500 with a running 7m Lol. I just don't want another car in my driveway
Old 05-25-11, 10:23 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

I can take to my friend and see if he has the parts you are looking for, i was trying to help you with some new parts but if you can get the whole trans for 300 i think it's a deal and you get to have some spare parts.
Old 05-25-11, 01:57 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

might not be worth the trouble to rebuild it at a shop, you can buy them rebuilt off a guy on supraforums whos an expert at it.

Quick Reply: Out with the Aristo tranny