Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Is your SC400 faster without the MAF?
Yes
32.08%
No
9.43%
I think this is a stupid post
37.74%
Its impossible so I will not even accept it as a possibility
20.75%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Unplugged MAF = More torque, gas, fun 92-94

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-10, 05:41 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The down-stream O2s wont effect how it runs.
Old 10-17-10, 06:16 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tried this yesterday on a 94 SC4 with some great results, tons more torque, but didn't notice any HP change. Gas definitely took a big hit
Old 10-17-10, 07:55 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

how do you know if your trac tps is bad? lol
Old 10-18-10, 08:52 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

so have we figured out why unplugging the maf is better? what stock part that is malfunctioning has caused this?
Old 10-18-10, 09:01 AM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

did this on my sc300.. and it wouldnt run.. haha.. it would die..
Old 10-20-10, 07:34 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

well my car has been running like complete A$$ for about 2 months now because my knock sensors are bad and kept retarding my timing. so since i have unplugged my mafs my car runs a whole lot better(faster) and gets better gas mileage. i was on average getting 210miles to a full tank now i get 235-40 on average but thats only from to 2 refills! i think im the most excited of everyones mafs unplug =) bc it kinda fix/tricked my car.

im pretty sure its advancing my timing to where it finally goes around the CEL knock sensors and runs "better" like everyones saying.

my car is a sc400 1994 automatic. only hits rev limiter from 1st to 2nd for about 2-3 hits at 6k than shifts fine into 3rd havent gone fast enough to have 3rd go into 4th at redline. also my car cold starts everytime and idles just fine when warm

i will keep it this way until i feel like changing my knock sensors and O2 sensors
Old 10-23-10, 04:28 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

I've had it plugged in for the past 2 weeks ever since this fun little experiment. But it seems like it isn't starting quite as nicely now. Anyone have this issue?
Old 10-26-10, 10:24 PM
lslade
Driver School Candidate

my car seems to have slightly better throttle response with the harness pulled and it definitely smells a little funny, but it doesn't seem really to be that much faster to be honest.

it falls on it's face at around 5000 rpm though in 1st and 2nd (didn't make it to third at WOT). Kind of like you hit the rev limiter.

after i plugged it back in things went back to normal.

I give it a solid...meh...
Old 10-27-10, 12:13 PM
wickedsc3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what are we talking here?? Maybe 15 whp, with less gas mileage, everyone behind u smelling gas, also if your on stock exhaust your probably going to clog up your 13 yr old cats alot faster. IMO probably not worth it. U v8 guys should have no problem bolting on 15whp and not losing mpg, smooth idle, not sacrificing reliability(as there could be long term effects of this mod.). Granted its interesting as to why u guys are picking up the tq. looking forward to see if anyone finds out why.
Old 10-27-10, 09:32 PM
hovsc400
Pole Position

i got a 95 400 and unplugged my maf while trying to solve my misfire under heavy load problem...and WOW unplugged maf makes the car drive way better not to mention all the throttle response and how much more torque it has dont know about WOT but i can say it has more power with no maf....has anyone figured out wht the long term effects are..
Old 10-31-10, 01:08 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know if you guys realize but on 99% of cars if you unplug the MAF the car will essentially be running blind (i.e. no way to meter incoming air).

What's the car's solution? Well if it can't see the air, it'll dump fuel according to limp home maps. What does an overly rich condition usually do? It'll clog up cats (if you've got them from unusually high EG temps) and it'll also on (80% of the cars I've dealt with) cause the transmission to run blind too resulting in poorer shifts. The O2's normally help trim the map but whenever it defaults to limp home mode they become useless.

If your car runs better with the MAF unplugged, you've got bigger fish to fry imo
Old 10-31-10, 09:26 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

i dont think of this as a wise thing to do either----u really dont know what negative affects this will have down the road---no offense but i wont be trying it ---good luck to those that have tried it though---i hope it works out
Old 10-31-10, 11:32 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TechGreek
I don't know if you guys realize but on 99% of cars if you unplug the MAF the car will essentially be running blind (i.e. no way to meter incoming air).

What's the car's solution? Well if it can't see the air, it'll dump fuel according to limp home maps. What does an overly rich condition usually do? It'll clog up cats (if you've got them from unusually high EG temps) and it'll also on (80% of the cars I've dealt with) cause the transmission to run blind too resulting in poorer shifts. The O2's normally help trim the map but whenever it defaults to limp home mode they become useless.

If your car runs better with the MAF unplugged, you've got bigger fish to fry imo
I can't speak for everyone, but most of us know that.

The two of us running without maf locally have deleted cats, and aren't running autos. The auto people attempting this did notice a change in shifting behavior, though. So, that is definitely true.

This is why I am building a megasquirt 3X system with Redphoenix. If we can't solve the system, then we might as well make a better one.
Old 11-07-10, 09:15 PM
Track5tar
Pit Crew

hey what big difference will the manual sc4 notice with the mega squirt 3?

dont bash please i really just dont know. ive googled it and i see its a engine management system just not sure on how it will effect the manual sc..
Old 11-08-10, 05:11 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Track5tar
hey what big difference will the manual sc4 notice with the mega squirt 3?

dont bash please i really just dont know. ive googled it and i see its a engine management system just not sure on how it will effect the manual sc..

doesnt matter if its auto or manual....but the stock stock is conservative and there is def. power to be had with a standalone.

Quick Reply: Unplugged MAF = More torque, gas, fun 92-94