Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Is your SC400 faster without the MAF?
Yes
32.08%
No
9.43%
I think this is a stupid post
37.74%
Its impossible so I will not even accept it as a possibility
20.75%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Unplugged MAF = More torque, gas, fun 92-94

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-10, 09:30 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me and Jake Breyck went on a hour and a half drive-n-tune journey tonight and got a pretty honed in street tune. Best mod money I ever spent. In the next few weeks I'll have a quarter mile slip to show what it did for my performance, and I'm guessing I'll have double the MAF-less fuel economy when my foot is under control.
Old 12-20-10, 09:49 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
??? I'm not sure we are communicating effectively lol. The only thing I am pulling out is the wideband. I will still be using MAP, IAT, CLT sensors to calculate fuel input. "Open loop" simply means that the ECU isn't trimming fuel based on oxygen sensor feedback.
I still don't think its a good idea. There's a reason why we have O2 sensors. If you dont want to run wideband full time, I would at least run a regular O2 sensor.
Old 12-20-10, 10:03 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
I still don't think its a good idea. There's a reason why we have O2 sensors. If you dont want to run wideband full time, I would at least run a regular O2 sensor.
A narrow band would do absolutely nothing for me. I'd be better off dangling a midget in front of my tail pipe and asking for his opinion.
Old 12-22-10, 03:41 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 12-27-10, 09:08 AM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hahaha! Lol!
Old 12-27-10, 05:04 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A narrow band would do absolutely nothing for me. I'd be better off dangling a midget in front of my tail pipe and asking for his opinion.
That's a pretty sweet quote... My 92' LS400 won't even start if I unplug my MAF.
Old 03-18-11, 12:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Any updates to this?
Old 03-19-11, 01:10 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Any updates to this?
Yes, I permanently unplugged my MAF...I now use MAP.
Old 03-19-11, 05:35 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In many cases, the sensors on our early model 1UZ'S are not communicating properly with the ecu and we are getting what seems to be very bad ignition issues. Unplugging the maf puts the ecu in a default "safe" setting mode and ignores most sensor inputs. This bypasses the faulty sensor communication that cannot be narrowed down for us
Could the faulty sensor be the MAF sensor?

Has any Kamen Vortex SC400 owner tried upgrading to the hotwire MAF and the OBD-II ECU?
Old 03-21-11, 07:03 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by account2x
Could the faulty sensor be the MAF sensor?

Has any Kamen Vortex SC400 owner tried upgrading to the hotwire MAF and the OBD-II ECU?
No. The MAF being replaced on several vehicles several times led to no solution.
Old 03-21-11, 09:34 AM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I´ve tried again with no luck. If I drive it hard when it changes gears from 1st to 2nd my car gets too much gas and starts to fail til I step up. If I use it normally it works, but not noticeable gains.
*I have the 12v Pump ECU mod.
Old 06-02-11, 11:09 AM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

I didn't read this whole thread because there's too many pages but this doesn't work for a 97+ SC400. I accidentally left my MAF unplugged after changing my spark plugs and it would barely idle, CEL was on, horrible stuff. Also I always thought when tuning you would want to run more lean for better horsepower not more rich. Given there is a desired spot you want to be at but it's generally more lean than stock. So by unplugging this MAF wouldn't you just run too rich and be dumping fuel probably flooding the engine?
Old 06-02-11, 12:41 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Midengtoy
I didn't read this whole thread because there's too many pages but this doesn't work for a 97+ SC400. I accidentally left my MAF unplugged after changing my spark plugs and it would barely idle, CEL was on, horrible stuff. Also I always thought when tuning you would want to run more lean for better horsepower not more rich. Given there is a desired spot you want to be at but it's generally more lean than stock. So by unplugging this MAF wouldn't you just run too rich and be dumping fuel probably flooding the engine?
Unfortunately for you, all of those thoughts have been addressed in this thread somewhere.
Old 06-02-11, 01:34 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

get those track times.. really curious to see the results.
Old 06-02-11, 02:48 PM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

Unfortunately for you, all of those thoughts have been addressed in this thread somewhere.
LOL I guess I missed it somewhere. I read a little more and I noticed you went with a megasquirt either way which will always have a positive effect compared to stock. I'm still not sure about the unplugging the maf and bypassing all sorts of sensors to make the car run faster. For you it was ok because you went to a different tuning system later but for someone else who wont I think it'll just ruin the car in the long run.

So what are the results?

Quick Reply: Unplugged MAF = More torque, gas, fun 92-94