Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Spark Plugs???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-10, 10:22 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Klaus
Alright you're somewhat on the right track. Let's look at the combustion. Combustion needs 3 things- fuel, oxygen, energy. We have a 12-13:1 mixture of air and fuel compressed to a ratio of around 10:1 waiting to be detonated. Depending on the octane of fuel, the mixture will have a specified minimum ignition energy which is what the spark plug needs to provide. This mixture already is so fragile that just compressing it a little more could provide enough heat (see boyle's law) to reach it's autoignition temperature (detonation) so it really doesn't need much energy to combust. A spark plug is a dummy energy receptacle. It is only capable of producing as much energy as it receives from the ignition system. So there is really no way of actually improving performance with spark plugs alone. Now picking a spark plug that will have the correct gap, heat range, and energy for your application is very key- but on a stock motor, stock specs are the best you'll do.

So trust me man pick those NGKs . You won't be disappointed!
Sorry, I was trying to be as simplistic as I could.
Old 09-20-10, 10:26 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh yeah for sure, you pretty much hit it- I was saying he was on the right track. Didn't see your post until mine was already up
Old 09-20-10, 10:45 PM
VKBSC3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Klaus and the principles of thermodynamics FTMFW

Nice to see an intellectual debate on here for once.
Old 09-21-10, 05:10 AM
Specaiist
Driver

Originally Posted by Klaus
Alright you're somewhat on the right track. Let's look at the combustion. Combustion needs 3 things- fuel, oxygen, energy. We have a 12-13:1 mixture of air and fuel compressed to a ratio of around 10:1 waiting to be detonated. Depending on the octane of fuel, the mixture will have a specified minimum ignition energy which is what the spark plug needs to provide. This mixture already is so fragile that just compressing it a little more could provide enough heat (see boyle's law) to reach it's autoignition temperature (detonation) so it really doesn't need much energy to combust. A spark plug is a dummy energy receptacle. It is only capable of producing as much energy as it receives from the ignition system. So there is really no way of actually improving performance with spark plugs alone. Now picking a spark plug that will have the correct gap, heat range, and energy for your application is very key- but on a stock motor, stock specs are the best you'll do.

So trust me man pick those NGKs . You won't be disappointed!
Well said my friend... You have just moved NGKs to the top of my list.
Old 09-21-10, 03:54 PM
cheez
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well im not trying to persuade anyone to buy them i just saw a couple car shows on tv of them testing it out, so i just tried them out. it was only $5 a plug heres some of the videos i watched on spike tv on saturday mornings showed that it actually did have gains and not like 20HP it was like 2-3HP
Old 09-21-10, 04:03 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by cheez
well im not trying to persuade anyone to buy them i just saw a couple car shows on tv of them testing it out, so i just tried them out. it was only $5 a plug heres some of the videos i watched on spike tv on saturday mornings showed that it actually did have gains and not like 20HP it was like 2-3HP
lol I'll refrain from getting into a stats lesson on statistical significance
Old 09-21-10, 04:04 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cheez
Those shows on Spike TV like Extreme 4x4, Horse Power etc....they are all paid to endorse those products and if you notice the videos they show dont have any actual facts to them. I saw the episode where they used the E3 plugs and it was not objective what so ever. Those shows are bias to whoever is paying them and they cant tell you the negatives of products. If they paid me a few grand and said here endorse these plugs I would to.

Not to say that they wont work on cars, but I highly doubt there are going to be any horse power gains at all. I also question the longevity of the E3 plugs, because all I have read about them is they lose the gap after about 10k which is is crazy.

NGK's have been proven time and time again to be durable and work well..........and are cheaper. I dont know about you but changing plugs in the SC is a PIA and I would go with whats been proven time and time again than take a chance on some new marketing gimmick

Last edited by Sup2jzgte; 09-21-10 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-21-10, 04:20 PM
Specaiist
Driver

I guess I'll flip a coin.. Denso=heads and NGK=tails....
Old 09-22-10, 03:56 AM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Specaiist
I guess I'll flip a coin.. Denso=heads and NGK=tails....
I just did Denso's in my SC only because I had an **** retentive fit to keep everything I can OEM. I know Im weird.
Old 09-22-10, 09:46 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Good read.. Thanks Klaus... I've always thought the plugs make a difference and have always purchased better ones than normal. Yes, I do use the NGKs. I get the Iridium IX instead of just their cheapest one.... You are saying that it is ok to get the cheapest one they have right? Does than mean there is no such thing as "having a better spark"? I hear that term all the time talking about spark plugs and why buy premium plugs than average.

I buy these NGK IX iridium - 3764 - BKR6EIX-11 - $7.83 instead of below.

NGK Traditional spark plug - 5553 - BKR6ES-11 - $2.89
NGK V-power spark plug - 2756 - BKR6E-11 -$2.89
Old 09-22-10, 10:11 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

I find it very hard to believe that there is nothing to gain by getting a top of the line--premuim spark plug--designed to produce a better spark and perform better.

As with everything there are products that meet the minimum requirements and other products that exceed those requirements.

If your telling me that a 50 cent spark plug produces the exact same spark and performs the same as a top of the line one I would have to say I highly doubt it.

Im not saying swapping to a high end plug will give you huge gains but come on---------there must be a little bit of improvement.
Old 09-22-10, 10:35 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Thats exactly what I'm trying to understand.... Its just like with electricity right? copper or whatever is better conductor than iron? So the $7-8 dollar NGK has better material than the $2-3 dollar ones and produces better spark. Thats how i've always understand it just like how I compared it with electricity metal conductor.

Maybe what Klaus is saying is that it is not worth spending 3x more $$$ with this case since there aren't going to be any noticeable gain with the car and that it is "ok"?
Old 09-22-10, 10:43 AM
Klaus
Instructor

With a spark plug, all that you need is what is called for by the manufacturer to facilitate the correct transfer of energy. Again, spark plugs are NOT a performance part. A poor spark plug can be detrimental to performance just as bad gas can. But just like putting premium in a car that runs on 87 will have no significant benefit, running "better" plugs than what your engine requires also has no significant benefit.

Iridiums haven't been proven to have any benefit over platinum plugs in a car that calls for platinum plugs. Also no manufacturer specifies utilizing Iridium plugs. The BKR6EGPs I use are a good platinum plug made by a good brand. I think SRP is $5/plug, however I get them for around $2.50-$2.70 online.

Last edited by Klaus; 09-22-10 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-22-10, 10:48 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Yes I think thats exactly what he is saying----that getting a run of the mill spark plug will do just fine.

And im sure he is not wrong.

But for me I think it is well worth the few extra bucks to get the best set of plugs you can----even if you dont really notice a big horsepower gain.

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 09-22-10 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-22-10, 10:51 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Ok... I get it... "no significant benefit"... I'm skeptic about gas octane myself but i've always run 91 octane on my SC. It suppose to burn better so that its less carbon build up right? I'd rather spend a little more on that than often clean up vacuum lines, intake, egr which cost more.

Quick Reply: SC400 Spark Plugs???