Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Spark Plugs???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-10, 03:50 PM
Specaiist
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 Spark Plugs???

Alright.. I'm in the process of "base lining" my SC4. I've already changed my engine, transmission and diff oil with Toyota spec fluids. I've changed my battery and cabin air filters. I'm now interested in changing my spark plugs and wires.

My question is: What are the best plugs and wires to install? My intentions are to replace "almost" everything with the highest performance and quality.

Yes I did do a search, and this is what I came up with:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...e-is-best.html

But that post was from 2002. Its now 2010, and maybe new discoveries have been made....

Oh yea. My car has 165k and drives like it has 20k....

Thanks in advance for your input......
Old 09-20-10, 04:20 PM
cheez
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know a lot of people r gonna say NGK plugs but i tried out the E3 spark plugs that have the diamond shape electrode and it has giving me any problems. supposedly it gives u more horsepower, better fuel efficiency, and less emissions. if u go on their website its been on a couple tv shows and u can watch the videos
Old 09-20-10, 05:21 PM
Specaiist
Driver

E3? I will definitely check it out.... Thanks for the input..
Old 09-20-10, 05:22 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are no spark plugs that will give you above stock performance. It's a marketing lie. Get some decent NGK platinums and you'll be fine. I'm using NGK BKR6EGPs with no issues- $2.50 per plug

Last edited by Klaus; 09-20-10 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-20-10, 05:35 PM
Specaiist
Driver

Originally Posted by Klaus
There are no spark plugs that will give you above stock performance. It's a marketing lie. Get some decent NGK platinums and you'll be fine. I'm using NGK BKR6EGPs with no issues- $2.50 per plug
Do you have any facts to back up this claim?
Old 09-20-10, 06:30 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

^^ do you REALLY think auto manufacturers would forgo such easy improvements in performance if they were truly so easily available?
Old 09-20-10, 06:43 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by Specaiist
Do you have any facts to back up this claim?
Old 09-20-10, 06:51 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol....I can allready see the path this thread is going to take. On another note, i run Pulstar pulse plugs. Gives you a much better spark, peep their website http://www.pulstar.com/!!
Old 09-20-10, 07:26 PM
Specaiist
Driver

Originally Posted by good2go
^^ do you REALLY think auto manufacturers would forgo such easy improvements in performance if they were truly so easily available?
Yes I do... That's why we buy/mod our vehicles with "easy improvements" such as BFI's, exhaust etc....

So lets make this thread useful to all that reads it... By that I mean back up your claims with facts.
Old 09-20-10, 07:49 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

So lets make this thread useful to all that reads it... By that I mean back up your claims with facts.
Ok, since it was your idea anyway, let's turn this around then and have you provide independently verified, factual evidence that a set a 'XYZ-FANCYAZZ' plugs will indeed result in a significant, repeatable improvement in performance. Until then, I'm out of this thread.
Old 09-20-10, 08:08 PM
Specaiist
Driver

Originally Posted by good2go
Ok, since it was your idea anyway, let's turn this around then and have you provide independently verified, factual evidence that a set a 'XYZ-FANCYAZZ' plugs will indeed result in a significant, repeatable improvement in performance. Until then, I'm out of this thread.
Here are a few links that are pretty good sources of info in regards to spark plugs:

1. http://www.ehow.com/facts_4567788_spark-plugs.html

2. http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Spark_plug

The fact is, spark plugs are an essential component to any internal combustion motor. Designs and materials will vary. I'm just trying to get first hand reviews of what works and what works better for our cars.... That's all.
Old 09-20-10, 08:17 PM
Klaus
Instructor

And I gave you a first hand review. The fact is a spark plug is a functional supporting piece NOT a performance piece as much as spark plug manufacturers may market otherwise. There is zero data demonstrating the performance benefit of more expensive spark plugs because those manufacturers would not spend the money on a test that wouldn't benefit their product- they know that the same people that put "premium" gas in their SOHC honda engines will buy $12 spark plugs and think they improved their car.

The function of a spark plug is to combust the air/fuel mixture cleanly. If the plug is doing that, then it works. You get into different heat range needs, gaps, etc, but those are again designed to support other performance modifications. It will not provide gains on a stock motor. My NGKs do that just fine. I would bet the title to my supra that you will not find a plug that will yield noticeable power or efficiency gains over those NGKs. But hey man it's your money- if you want to spend $80 on plugs be my guest.
Old 09-20-10, 08:29 PM
Specaiist
Driver

I honestly appreciate your position. If we can agree that plug "a" can burn the fuel faster than plug "b"... Then we can agree that plug "a" is a better plug. I guess we can debate the the effects of that plug burning the fuel quicker.... I definitely don't have deep pockets, so spending a lot of money on a set of plugs is the last thing on my list..
Old 09-20-10, 09:53 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I honestly appreciate your position. If we can agree that plug "a" can burn the fuel faster than plug "b"... Then we can agree that plug "a" is a better plug. I guess we can debate the the effects of that plug burning the fuel quicker.... I definitely don't have deep pockets, so spending a lot of money on a set of plugs is the last thing on my list..
The point Klaus is trying to make is that a spark is a spark. The only thing causes the fuel and air in you cylinders to burn hotter or faster is oxygen, whether it be from nitrous oxide, forced induction, higher octane fuel or higher compression. Obviously those aren't the only things that can give an engine "better" peformance, but when dealing with hotter or faster burns, O2 is the only thing that really matters. Even Klaus' MKIV Supra, which I would guess is the 2jz-gTe, which is F/I and not N/A like yours and my SC400's, he still using basic spark plugs. A spark plugs job is only to ignite the fuel and air. The best spark plug for your car is one that will create a spark everytime and on time, and for that NGK's do the job just fine, or if youre ok with spending a little extra $ get some Denso Toyota plugs.
Old 09-20-10, 10:11 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Alright you're somewhat on the right track. Let's look at the combustion. Combustion needs 3 things- fuel, oxygen, energy. We have a 12-13:1 mixture of air and fuel compressed to a ratio of around 10:1 waiting to be detonated. Depending on the octane of fuel, the mixture will have a specified minimum ignition energy which is what the spark plug needs to provide. This mixture already is so fragile that just compressing it a little more could provide enough heat (see boyle's law) to reach it's autoignition temperature (detonation) so it really doesn't need much energy to combust. A spark plug is a dummy energy receptacle. It is only capable of producing as much energy as it receives from the ignition system. So there is really no way of actually improving performance with spark plugs alone. Now picking a spark plug that will have the correct gap, heat range, and energy for your application is very key- but on a stock motor, stock specs are the best you'll do.

So trust me man pick those NGKs . You won't be disappointed!

Quick Reply: SC400 Spark Plugs???