Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Burning tons of Power steering fluid and soft steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-10, 11:55 AM
attzor
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning tons of Power steering fluid and soft steering

Alright so my PS hose was leaking very bad, so I took some JB weld and covered the leak, it was on the pressure line on the very top, almost odd that it was up there. Well that worked, for like an hour, another leak started, from what looks like the rack and pinion. Well it was fine for a while, I used some lucas PS stuff, which worked well, till my father pulled my car into the garage, and it hasn't been the same since. Something bursted when he pulled it in, there was a huge amount of PS fluid on the ground trailing the car, and the steering lost alot of feeling, it's like theres in ingagement point at about 10 and 2, inbetween those 2 is just a mushy area that bearly turns the wheels, but directly after those points, it turns normally.

The whole time the steering was leaking, it was puffing PS fluid smoke on start up, only if I cut the car off right after I was hard on the pump. Well today I filled the resevour up with regular PS fluid and no lucas, and it started burning the fluid unbelievably bad, thick smoke while driving, white smoke. I'm 100% sure its PS fluid too.

Before anyone *****es about using additives and jb weld, be minded I'm broke as **** and in college, I do what I can to get it working for the time being.

So anyone know If I need a new Rack and Pinion or just a hose? And if it a rack and pinion, how hard is it to replace? I can do my own work, if I can find the time to do it.
Old 09-27-10, 12:18 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

My car is doing the same thing I could not figure fully where it was coming from, I did most of what you did except the JB weld, turns out it leaking from the PS pump, Its a seal behind the wheel that's no good , A rebuilt one from Autozone is $180. Used one usualy go for $100. I'm gonna buy one soon from a friend of mine from his 1J.
Old 09-27-10, 12:19 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by attzor
Alright so my PS hose was leaking very bad, so I took some JB weld and covered the leak, it was on the pressure line on the very top, almost odd that it was up there. Well that worked, for like an hour, another leak started, from what looks like the rack and pinion. Well it was fine for a while, I used some lucas PS stuff, which worked well, till my father pulled my car into the garage, and it hasn't been the same since. Something bursted when he pulled it in, there was a huge amount of PS fluid on the ground trailing the car, and the steering lost alot of feeling, it's like theres in ingagement point at about 10 and 2, inbetween those 2 is just a mushy area that bearly turns the wheels, but directly after those points, it turns normally.

The whole time the steering was leaking, it was puffing PS fluid smoke on start up, only if I cut the car off right after I was hard on the pump. Well today I filled the resevour up with regular PS fluid and no lucas, and it started burning the fluid unbelievably bad, thick smoke while driving, white smoke. I'm 100% sure its PS fluid too.

Before anyone *****es about using additives and jb weld, be minded I'm broke as **** and in college, I do what I can to get it working for the time being.

So anyone know If I need a new Rack and Pinion or just a hose? And if it a rack and pinion, how hard is it to replace? I can do my own work, if I can find the time to do it.
Can you explain the burning part

Are you saying that PS fluid is being combusted in the engine and smoking out the tailpipe?
Old 09-27-10, 12:29 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go
Are you saying that PS fluid is being combusted in the engine and smoking out the tailpipe?
This is impossible.

OP, You are having further issues than you think. Sounds to me that you need to replace your rack and pinion, power steering pump, and check for a head gasket leak. If it's all three, your about to have a horrible week.

Has your car overheated recently? My clutch fan died once and my car overheated. I blew the headgasket and was burning the coolant. I'm pretty sure that's what's going on with your engine. If you fix the gasket leak quickly, you might be able to save your engine.

Last edited by Tabaka; 09-27-10 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-27-10, 12:54 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tabaka

This is impossible.

really?
Old 09-27-10, 12:58 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Actually, IIRC, there was an obscure situation where someone (I think it was on an SC4) had a leak and some vacuum lines misrouted and ended up with PS fluid in the intake, so technically speaking, it IS possible, but certainly not supposed to happen by design.
Old 09-27-10, 01:11 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go
Actually, IIRC, there was an obscure situation where someone (I think it was on an SC4) had a leak and some vacuum lines misrouted and ended up with PS fluid in the intake, so technically speaking, it IS possible, but certainly not supposed to happen by design.
I can agree with this statement, but power steering is never designed to
combust in the engine. I think the OP has some issues. Do a compression
check, replace rack and pinion with a unit from Advance Auto and see if
someone in the classified section has a spare PS pump. White smoke is
never good from any engine and 9/10 it's coolant. Sometimes, our SC's
will have ECU issues and too much fuel is injected which causes a higher
volume of smoke to exit the exhaust during a normal warm up. If that's the
case, simply go on ebay or the classifieds and purchase a new ECU. Make
sure you only buy the same year and matching transmission (A or M).
Old 09-27-10, 05:11 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Unfortunatly, it is a BHG, fortunatly, I was going to do it anyways in the next few months for when I was going NA-t. I know a TT HG lowers compression, will that be fine if the car is still NA?
Old 09-27-10, 06:39 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

^^ meh...It should run, but it will feel a bit pokey, I would think.

Originally Posted by Tabaka

I can agree with this statement, but power steering is never designed to
combust in the engine...
lol, dude you're preaching to the choir.

Last edited by good2go; 09-27-10 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-10-12, 06:27 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you said you used power steering fluid? I believe our ps pumps require ATF automatic transmission fluid
Old 10-10-12, 09:41 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread was 2 years ago, and the two fluids are basically identical. ATF has to meet stricter specifications but the steering system is hardly the kind of stress a transmission is.
Old 10-11-12, 09:56 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

actually, it is a normal SC problem that PS fluid can get sucked into the engine.
Its one of the first fixes I ever read on this forum, written by the man OLT himself.

right below the ps reservoir, there is a plastic looking thing with 2 nipples, that run 2 vacuum lines on it.
one goes to the intake manifold and one goes to the air filter box.

what its supossed to do is be a one way check valve letting air in when there is a vauum difference between the 2 ports, which lets more air in basically when you turn the wheel (which causes the pressure difference)

this bumps up your idle, and you never notice that the rpm's dip even with SC super power steering.

eventually this valve breaks internally, and lets power steering get sucked into the intake manifold directly, or it gets sucked the other way into your air filter, all the piping, then it gets to the intake manifold. if your air filter is soaked in PS fluid, you know which way its going but it doesnt really matter, the fix is the same. end result is basically you are combusting you PS fluid.

pretty neat right, but don't worry the fix is simple. once you get that working you need to replace that hose, there is no way a simple patch job will hole the pressure hose, you will spend more time cleaning your mess from failed attempts than just replacing that.

here is the original thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...s-one-out.html

here is another:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-this-out.html

OP are you sure you blew your HG. this is most likely the cause of the smoking. do a compression test if you think you have a BHG.
**edit** I just realized this is a 2 year old thread. well the info will still be helpfull to others.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-11-12 at 10:02 AM.