Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Random low idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10, 06:05 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

I had the problem where when the car's warmed up and I was stopped at light, the idle would suddenly and randomly drop to 400 rpm, stutter and slowly work it's way back up. It then got worse and the engine would die when I was coasting to a stop and pushed in the clutch. I took apart the whole intake/tb system, took off and cleaned the 2 sensors (ISC and IACV) on the front of the tb where the idle bypass tunnel is, cleaned out the inside of the tb/y-pipe/intake runners (probably totally unnecessary but it was pretty gross so I said 'why the hell not') and the car now idles perfectly now.
The only reason why I took off the tb was b/c i have no tools that could reach the bottom screws of the 2 sensors.
Great information! My Soarer just started doing the same thing after running fine for 2 weeks. Going to get the sensors tested tomorrow, but I'll try some cleaning first and see if it resolves my issue.
Old 08-31-11, 08:22 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bump this back up. Here is what I have done to fix my problem.

First I guess I should let you know, that when I start the car, it does not go through a warm up process. It goes straight to the low idle. When we have the A/C on in the car, it kicks the compressor on and off because it doesnt have enough idle

Here is what I have done:
New Alternator
Checked all grounds
New Idle Air Control Motor
New TPS
Cleaned intake manifold

I have done everything I can think of, anyone got any suggestions?