Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC's down again.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 07:06 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5817979-post7.html

It looked and felt secure, so I took it off and put the old one back in after fighting the car all day for the stupid issue and it ran like a champ.

Put the new back in, old issue, pushed it in a little bit further, worked like a champ too. The clip that holds it in wasn't letting mine seat all the way so it would only make full spark at higher rpms (like yours)

It literally takes 5 seconds to test, you should go try it now.
Old 10-13-10, 07:50 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SOLEdier
i have a 1.5jz in it do u think the sparks plugs could have something to do with this?
you said something about the ignition right? when i 1st got the alarm installed the ig2 relay went if i remember correctly i think that was the relay for the ignition i think, ever since the alarm ive had electrical problems... do u think that could probably be part of it 2....maybe the relay is messing up again..

Originally Posted by SOLEdier
we might be getting somewhere lol ima look into this 1st thing in the morning thanks....so i just make sure its in there all the way then
Is anyone else confused? Do you have a 2JZ-GE or a 1.5JZ-GTE? If you have a 1.5JZ you wouldn't have a distributor based ignition but a Coil on Plug ignition. Which is it? Also if you need autozone to gap plugs for you, im worried what else is done with the car...

Assuming it's the ol' 2JZ-GE check to make sure the wires are in the right order on the distributor cap and are on nice and tight. Definitley an ignition problem, it's misfire like crazy in that vid.
Old 10-13-10, 07:53 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Oops, Stick3 is right. I skimped over that part apparently.
Old 10-14-10, 10:16 AM
SOLEdier
Driver

Originally Posted by StiCk3
Is anyone else confused? Do you have a 2JZ-GE or a 1.5JZ-GTE? If you have a 1.5JZ you wouldn't have a distributor based ignition but a Coil on Plug ignition. Which is it? Also if you need autozone to gap plugs for you, im worried what else is done with the car...

Assuming it's the ol' 2JZ-GE check to make sure the wires are in the right order on the distributor cap and are on nice and tight. Definitley an ignition problem, it's misfire like crazy in that vid.
went and checked it out this morning and noticed that i got no dizzy in the
1.5jz, i just made sure the coils were secure and in and they felt like they were. gapping the spark plugs i dont have a way to get it measured to .022
Old 10-14-10, 11:13 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Why in the world would you gap down to .022? That doesn't seem like it has anywhere enough room to make a proper flame kernel.
Old 10-14-10, 06:01 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

.22 is a little small, i have mine set up for .028 as do a lot of GTEs out there. To get that measurement, get a feeler gauge set and a spark plug gapping tool. Just bend the ground strap to get the gap just right. What kind of turbo are you running BTW?

I would pull out all the spark plugs and stick them in the coil packs. Pull the EFI fuse so it doesn't dump fuel while you crank the car over. While cranking teh car, look at the spark plugs to see if they all are firing properly. This just rules out ignition as a cause. If it's not ignition, then something else is going on....
Old 10-15-10, 08:23 PM
SOLEdier
Driver

Originally Posted by StiCk3
.22 is a little small, i have mine set up for .028 as do a lot of GTEs out there. To get that measurement, get a feeler gauge set and a spark plug gapping tool. Just bend the ground strap to get the gap just right. What kind of turbo are you running BTW?

I would pull out all the spark plugs and stick them in the coil packs. Pull the EFI fuse so it doesn't dump fuel while you crank the car over. While cranking teh car, look at the spark plugs to see if they all are firing properly. This just rules out ignition as a cause. If it's not ignition, then something else is going on....
im running stock US 1jz tt, on stock US 1jz injectors. ima gap to .028 and see how it will run from there
Old 10-28-10, 10:54 AM
SOLEdier
Driver

internet has been down for a while so i havent been able to post...
update is i had the alarm removed...started driving fine since then...
after i got it back that night it didnt want to start i had to jump it, the day after it didt want to crankover after i put in gas, it took about 5min to get it started... a few days ago i go and try to start it and the same thing but this time it didnt want to start..i took out the ig2 relay to see if it looked burned or something but it looked the same, the next day i try to start it and it didnt want to...now the car isnt starting and im convinced its the ignition maybe a short or something as i think the relay fused
Old 10-28-10, 11:47 AM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Seems like you have an ignition issue. Maybe loose connection or break in wires. So the engine wont even crank? Check your starter connection. Check your crank sensor. Sometimes the star will break off from the gear.