Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car makes loud whine in the morning

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-10, 06:50 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by scviolence
bro take the belt off and spin everything by hand int he morning...if nothing makes noise turn it on with the belt off and the only thing that should be the crank pulley...best tihng u can do right now besides posting a video.
If i cant pinpoint the sound better tomorow morning I will try doing that -----to be honest I dont see the belt causing this sound-----I could be wrong but I dont see it------I am going to look into the power steering unit------can you guys tell me a little more about the power steering unit---where exactly it is located and how to tell if it is acting up----because my steering so far is perfect------and I dont see any leaks.

Ill check the fluid and if I cant pinpoint it I will try to post a video of it to help you guys diagnose this better.

But guys I really appreciate the help and advice---I do realize it is very hard to diagnose this sort of issue online without seeing or hearing it for yourself.

Thanks again guys

Like i said the sound is almost exactly the same sound your vaccum cleaner at home makes----like an electrical engine on high power---than I hear a slight click and the sound cuts off--------im hoping someone has went through this exact issue and can shed some more light on it -

And again it only happens once in the morning and than the car is fine fore the rest of the day ----seems quite odd to me

Thanks guys
Old 10-21-10, 07:09 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Power steering fluid low or power steering pump. Go check your fluid now.
Old 10-21-10, 07:37 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is your ps pump most sc owner that live in the cold should know this is common like the popping in the cats. no worries man ran my car like that for 30k no propblems
Old 10-21-10, 09:12 PM
Copilot
Driver

Belt squeaking in the morning because its wet?
Old 10-21-10, 09:43 PM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was because of the bearing in the tensioner pulley the first time around. Second time was because harmonic balancer separated. You should be able to pop the old bearing from the tensioner and buy one from napa.
Old 10-21-10, 11:13 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when youre looking at your engine bay, your power steering reservoir is on the front left, right next to your coolant reservoir. Like I said, make sure its full and its bright pink.

You can find out immediately if its the power steering if, while the your car is making the sound and you turn the steering wheel, the sound fluxuates. You wont really notice anything in the steering until it craps out all together.

Dont worry, if it is the power steering (and Im pretty sure it is) the sound doesnt mean that the pump needs to be replaced, it just needs to be flushed, refilled or bled. Sometime if there's air in the lines it'll scream at you.

I hope this helps, I just went through/am going through the same thing right now. If have any questions or need some more help, feel free to ask.
Old 10-22-10, 07:54 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

I tried it again just now and the sound is still there-------I tried to move the wheel left and right and it did nothing.

The sound is a high p[itch whine or scream as you put it and than I hear a "click" and it stops.

I am starting to get worried now because I had my little brother start the car whil;e I had my head stuck under the hood and the sound seems to be coming directly from the engine somewhere-----inside almost---again it is hard to tell---------where exactly is the power steering pump-----I checked the fluiod and it seemed to be red or pink and the level seemed to be okay.

I would like to drain the old fluid and refill with new-----I guess I will look at the owners manual for the how to.

damn I hate this

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 10-22-10 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-22-10, 09:49 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Replace your power steering fluid.
Old 10-22-10, 11:47 AM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

take the damn belt off already and spin everything by hand!!!! u know what ef that...take the belt off and turn the dam car on if you still hear your sound then its not your powersteering or ac compresssor or starter or annything external to the engine....its gonna be your crank pulley or something with the timing belt .....if u dont have sound guess what?!?!? its gonna be something thats not connected to the engine lol....hot damn this should be easier but your making it hard by not doing the simplest thing pulling a dam belt off.... also do you have the ac on when you turn the car on im starting to wonder if this clicking your hearing is the ac/ compressor clutch engaging and dissengaging....

Last edited by scviolence; 10-22-10 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-22-10, 11:53 AM
2ndgen300
Driver

i have a noise just like that when i first start it up. it happens about 2 or 3 seconds after i start it. i found out that it was my a.c. unit. i still dont know exactly whats wrong with it but it never happens when i start my car with the a.c. off.
Old 10-22-10, 02:46 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2ndgen300
i have a noise just like that when i first start it up. it happens about 2 or 3 seconds after i start it. i found out that it was my a.c. unit. i still dont know exactly whats wrong with it but it never happens when i start my car with the a.c. off.
In the past few weeks my car has been making a wierd ----crackling sound or refrigiration sound-----coming from behind the console---ive been told it is my ac or heating unit--------my faqther also mentioned something about it could possibly be the ac unit----------------2ndgen please tell me a little more about your symptoms and how did u realize it is your ac unit?

Thanks man

Originally Posted by scviolence
take the damn belt off already and spin everything by hand!!!! u know what ef that...take the belt off and turn the dam car on if you still hear your sound then its not your powersteering or ac compresssor or starter or annything external to the engine....its gonna be your crank pulley or something with the timing belt .....if u dont have sound guess what?!?!? its gonna be something thats not connected to the engine lol....hot damn this should be easier but your making it hard by not doing the simplest thing pulling a dam belt off.... also do you have the ac on when you turn the car on im starting to wonder if this clicking your hearing is the ac/ compressor clutch engaging and dissengaging....
Hey scviolence-----I appreciate your input and yopur help here but i am not a mechanic-----I have never taken off a belt on any car nevermind this 1uz-----------im not about to start messing around in the engine compartment if I dont have to ---I dont want to create any more problerms for myself--------I know everyone is saying it is an easy thing to do ---but keep in mind ive never done it before I dont even know where to start.

If I cant pinpoint this issue soon I will bring the car to my mechanic and ask him to do it---if something goes wrong it is his responsibility.

I really hope this is the ac unit or something like that -------has anyone ever heard of a starter making noises like this?

Oh and this sound is happening with all my heating and air units off-------I tried turning the ac on--which doesnt work anyways----and it didnt seem to change anything-------????

Its wierd to me that this only happens on the first start up of the day---if it was a belt or bearing or pulley--------you would think this sound would be audible during normal driving and during the course of the day.

Anyways im still at it----any advice is appreciated guys.

Thanks again

And any ideas on what this "click" could be ?

Is there any device or anything mechanical that clicks on a second or two after the car starts? Something sounds like it is engaging and than the problem goes away.

Thanks

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 10-22-10 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-22-10, 03:01 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Take a video of the noise in the morning and upload it to youtube buddy.

I had an random noise with my front idler pulley. The bearing (more so one of them) was going out in it (on the automatic tensioner) and would only squeak when it was cold.

2JZ, come to find out the tensioner was stripped and cracked so it was letting it tear the pulley up.
Old 10-22-10, 03:04 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TechGreek
Take a video of the noise in the morning and upload it to youtube buddy.

I had an random noise with my front idler pulley. The bearing (more so one of them) was going out in it (on the automatic tensioner) and would only squeak when it was cold.

2JZ, come to find out the tensioner was stripped and cracked so it was letting it tear the pulley up.
Damn I dont like the sound of that ------wonder how much it was to fix.

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 10-22-10 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-24-10, 06:40 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

still no video of sound but i do think I can eliminate some of the things we were talking about.

The sound is not in tune at all with the reving of the engine----the sound is on its own pattern not affected by the revs or rpm's of the engine at all.

I think this can eliminate anything related to the belts and pulleys of the engine.

I think.

any new ideas guys?

Thanks
Old 10-24-10, 07:22 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go to a mechanic ....

Quick Reply: Car makes loud whine in the morning