Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car makes loud whine in the morning

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-10, 09:17 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by scviolence
go to a mechanic ....
well im here trying to see if I can narrow it down a bit first---rather than go to a mechanic with no idea of what the issue is and get taken advantage of

I think im done here though ------since no one seems to have had this happen to them b4.
Old 10-25-10, 08:35 PM
lslade
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any autoparts store has a belt for you for 12 bucks for the "el cheapo special". Get one and rule that out. You have to go process of elimination on these cars if you want to save yourself money...You only need a 14MM wrench (i think that's the size at least) and a buddy if you've got one to replace it (somebody cranks on the idler pulley and somebody puts the belt on - you can do it yourself if you're not a puss).

I don't want to alarm you here, but my car did this for a while too and eventually the transmission went out. There were other cold start symptoms with mine too though, namely it didn't want to shift out of first gear when cold. The sound would usually go away in a few seconds of driving. You could try putting in it drive with the brake down and see if it goes away. The pump in the trans doesn't engage until the car is in gear.

I strongly doubt it's an exhaust system issue...

Good luck man.
Old 10-25-10, 08:45 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lslade
Any autoparts store has a belt for you for 12 bucks for the "el cheapo special". Get one and rule that out. You have to go process of elimination on these cars if you want to save yourself money...You only need a 14MM wrench (i think that's the size at least) and a buddy if you've got one to replace it (somebody cranks on the idler pulley and somebody puts the belt on - you can do it yourself if you're not a puss).

I don't want to alarm you here, but my car did this for a while too and eventually the transmission went out. There were other cold start symptoms with mine too though, namely it didn't want to shift out of first gear when cold. The sound would usually go away in a few seconds of driving. You could try putting in it drive with the brake down and see if it goes away. The pump in the trans doesn't engage until the car is in gear.

I strongly doubt it's an exhaust system issue...

Good luck man.
Damn----I really dont like to hear that ======where is the tranny pump located---and u know what ---ive never tried to put the car in gear during this whine------it ussually clicks off before I get the chance-----as i said I am confident it is not the belt because the whining is not in tune at all with the engine rpm's or reving of the engine-----as far as I can tell if it was a belt or pulley of sort the whine would change or go higher or lower when I rev or up the rpm's on the car-------------this does not happen at all----this sound is something other than the engine----or so it would appear at this point.

Thank you for your input---much appreciated
Old 10-25-10, 11:20 PM
RED95sc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can check the belt by spraying it with a little WD40 while the car is running, if your belts crystalized, it will make noise
Old 10-26-10, 04:21 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i wish i was there to pull your damn belt off lol...
Old 10-26-10, 04:43 PM
Miller
Rookie

Mine does the same thing, and has for roughly 20k miles. I usually put a little belt dressing on it o shut it up - it only happens when its cold out. try belt dressing its cheap and anyone can do it, just point and spray. If it quiets or stops - tada! change the belt, if not, well then at least theres one thing to mark off the list.
Old 10-26-10, 05:59 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scviolence
i wish i was there to pull your damn belt off lol...
lol scviolence

Originally Posted by Miller
Mine does the same thing, and has for roughly 20k miles. I usually put a little belt dressing on it o shut it up - it only happens when its cold out. try belt dressing its cheap and anyone can do it, just point and spray. If it quiets or stops - tada! change the belt, if not, well then at least theres one thing to mark off the list.
Great idea my friend----the last few days the sound hasnt been there-----im assuming it is because the weather has been much warmer---I will spray the belt first------than I will spray each pulley seperately to see if I can narrow it down---again great idea-----much appreciated sir

Originally Posted by RED95sc
you can check the belt by spraying it with a little WD40 while the car is running, if your belts crystalized, it will make noise
Crystalized? Is that what happens to it when it is on its way out? Never heard that before ---thanks.
Old 10-26-10, 09:42 PM
lslade
Driver School Candidate

just be prepared for transmission issues or something bigger...could be...

this pump isn't really something can be replaced, it's a transmission swap or rebuild to fix it.
Old 10-27-10, 12:47 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Meet me in Scarborough, I have a spare OEM belt that's still good. Before 4 weeks ago I had never done it on a 1UZ but the process is essentially idiot-proof. I'd be glad to lend 20 minutes of my time if it helps rule out the belt or solves your issue.
Old 10-27-10, 03:13 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
Meet me in Scarborough, I have a spare OEM belt that's still good. Before 4 weeks ago I had never done it on a 1UZ but the process is essentially idiot-proof. I'd be glad to lend 20 minutes of my time if it helps rule out the belt or solves your issue.
sc coupe finally someone here that is close by lol.

I really appreciate you offering your help---thats very nice of you

Since the weather has warmed up a bit this sound has went away totally----i am very sure that once the weather gets a bit colder it will come right back.

I think what I would like to do is let you hear the sound for yourself and see what u think------and if you think we should swap the belt than that is what we will do.

Thanks again man ------I will pm you soon
Old 10-28-10, 01:39 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

HOLY CRAP!!! I FIGURED IT OUT. Mine just made the exact sound you've been describing (youre right, it does sound exactly like a vacuum) and I was able to pin point it immediately. Its your starter and theres absolutely nothing wrong with it. First of all, the sound only happens when the engine is really, really cold and since mostly everyone on this forum lives in a warmer climate, its no wonder no one's ever heard this sound before, but this morning in Denver the temperature was 34f (1c). Whats happening is your starter is basicly having to work a little harder and turn a little longer than it normally does to start the engine when its that cold. Your starter actually always makes that sound but when its warmer and your engine is able to start immediately you cant hear it because its being drowned out by everything else thats turning over when you first start the car.

So to summerize, theres nothing wrong, its just something that happens when the car is really cold (which would make sense why it only does it first thing in the morning and not throughout the day when it warms up)
But if your curious as to what is actually happening, do some research into what happens to a car in extreme cold, especially since our cars are older and arent as well equiped for extreme temperatures. Also something else you should know is that you should always let your car run for about 10-15 mins before you start driving when the temperature is below freezing. Very small amounts of water can sometimes get into your fluids and freeze (not all your fluid just the tiny molecules of h2o) which can start to cause damage over time so when its really cold outside make sure to let your car warm up a bit before you drive it.

If you have any other questions about cold temperatures and cars, pm me. I think I might be the only tech on this forum that lives in a super cold climate

Absolutely no offense to the OP (actually mad props for noticing the sound, I would have never noticed if you hadnt said anything) I can't believe it took a week and 41 posts to figure out something so benign.

Last edited by MattStarr; 10-28-10 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-06-10, 08:52 AM
aporozco
Driver

i hear this too after my car sits overnight this time of the year in chicago. I'm gonna change my belts in case anyways tho haha. Thanks again CL
Old 11-06-10, 06:51 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MattStarr
HOLY CRAP!!! I FIGURED IT OUT. Mine just made the exact sound you've been describing (youre right, it does sound exactly like a vacuum) and I was able to pin point it immediately. Its your starter and theres absolutely nothing wrong with it. First of all, the sound only happens when the engine is really, really cold and since mostly everyone on this forum lives in a warmer climate, its no wonder no one's ever heard this sound before, but this morning in Denver the temperature was 34f (1c). Whats happening is your starter is basicly having to work a little harder and turn a little longer than it normally does to start the engine when its that cold. Your starter actually always makes that sound but when its warmer and your engine is able to start immediately you cant hear it because its being drowned out by everything else thats turning over when you first start the car.

So to summerize, theres nothing wrong, its just something that happens when the car is really cold (which would make sense why it only does it first thing in the morning and not throughout the day when it warms up)
But if your curious as to what is actually happening, do some research into what happens to a car in extreme cold, especially since our cars are older and arent as well equiped for extreme temperatures. Also something else you should know is that you should always let your car run for about 10-15 mins before you start driving when the temperature is below freezing. Very small amounts of water can sometimes get into your fluids and freeze (not all your fluid just the tiny molecules of h2o) which can start to cause damage over time so when its really cold outside make sure to let your car warm up a bit before you drive it.

If you have any other questions about cold temperatures and cars, pm me. I think I might be the only tech on this forum that lives in a super cold climate

Absolutely no offense to the OP (actually mad props for noticing the sound, I would have never noticed if you hadnt said anything) I can't believe it took a week and 41 posts to figure out something so benign.
Hey matt i spoke to you in pm about this but i thank you again for your help on this one----------and in my case the sound isnt that benign --it is actually quite loud i couldnt help but hear it---------today when starting it up the sound is actually staying on longer than before-----like 4-5 seconds-------im not going to worry about it though------thanks for the info my friend
Old 11-28-10, 02:38 PM
keskipper
Pole Position

I am in a warm climate and mine has been doing this for the past 2-3 months (just bought the car in April), only in the morning after sitting overnight (temp range of 45F - 65F), it seems to be louder when I first put it into reverse (which is a rough shift), but goes away as soon I put into D (also a rough shift). Never again during the day does it do this...

I always let the car warm up for ~30 seconds before driving off, and keep it at or under 2k RPMs for a few miles. If I don't have anywhere to go in the mornings and the car sits overnight until about 10:30 - 11:00 a.m. (about 70F), I go through the same process, and the first shift into R and D is smooth. I know a little more about cars than the OP seems to, but this has me stumped. I am fairly certain (though I haven't removed the belt yet to try) it is not the belt / a pulley. I know what these sound like when they're on the way out, and this is NOT it...plus, it seems too coincidental that it goes away when put into D, but it is louder when first put into R. After doing some research, I am leaning towards some type of tranny issue or rear end.

I will do a video in the a.m. and post so hopefully someone can chime in...there is no way to take it to a mechanic to replicate the issue (unless one stays the night with me, or I leave it at a shop, which I might do if I don't get any feedback on CL).

Thanks all...hopefully we get this figured out as it seems to be happening to more than one CL member...

Last edited by keskipper; 11-28-10 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-28-10, 02:52 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

You can rule one thing out..this is not a clogged cat, or anything else to do with your exhaust. However it is something to do with your accessory drives. This happens all the time in my 95 SC300, and I'm 90% sure its my belt tensioner, and my serpentine belt itself is cracked and broken. Since I'm not driving it at all this winter I'm not going to worry about it..but in your case I would either find someone who knows what they are doing and replace your belt/tensioner or both...or start learning how to do it yourself..its really not that scary I promise.

Quick Reply: Car makes loud whine in the morning