Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

restricted air intake-------any advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-10 | 03:03 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Default restricted air intake-------any advice appreciated

Hey guys ,

i have an ongoing issue that only happens on my first start up or two in the morning on colder days or nights.

the car makes a very loud whining sound almost exactly the same sound as your household vaccuum cleaner.

Ive narrowed the sound down now to the intake on top of the engine, I can hear the sound from there very good now and it seems as though somthing is restricting the air flow there somehow.

Now i already took off the intake and housing to clean out the throttle body and butterfly valves but to be honest i dont think it did anything as it was very clean--ill know tommorow if it did anything.

Guys my question is what can possibly be restricting the air flow on my car in the mornings in the intake area, when this vaccum sound is going on the car struggles to gain rpm's and is sluggish---it only lasts a few seconds and than it goes away and the car runs perfect again---althoug the sound is lasting longer as of the last few days --10 seconds or so.

If it isnt the throttle body or the butterfly valves what else could it be--the sound is definitely coming from the top of the engine and is an air restriction issue-

Thanks guys---much appreciated.

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 11-11-10 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-11-10 | 03:59 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

i guess what im asking is -----after the throttle body and the butterfly valves whats next-----what can be restricting air flow at that point if it isnt those things.

The sound is definitely coming from the top of the engine --intake area------i hear a click and than it goes away--im stumped.

thanks
Old 11-11-10 | 06:16 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Have you tried a THOUROGH cleaning and doing the stepper motor checks on your IACV ?
Old 11-12-10 | 07:05 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by good2go
Have you tried a THOUROGH cleaning and doing the stepper motor checks on your IACV ?
no sir i have not----,what i did was take off the intake off and all the plastic to get access to the throttle body and i sprayed a throttle body cleaner in to clean the area out-----i cleaned the area out with a clean rag and a throttle body cleaner-------goodtogo i do not know what the iavc is eactly---can u please tell me a little more about it

from the throttle body cleaner i sprayed in there the noise didnt last very long this morning ---i think it may of helped somewhat ---or so it seems at this point

thanks looking forward to hearing more
Old 11-12-10 | 08:09 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Here's some reference material for you:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...rol-valve.html

http://www.planetsoarer.com/IAC/iac.htm

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post5493702

BTW, when you remove the screws for the IACV, be sure to use a really good quality and properly sized screw driver, as the screw heads strip VERY easily. Some people just outright replace the screws with an allen head type.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-12-10 at 08:15 PM. Reason: thank you much for your post, lets keep the personal stuff out of the replies please
Old 11-14-10 | 06:42 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

thanks goodtogo----iom going to take the intake off again and try to give it a real proper cleaning again---i only gave it a half clean last time because when i went to start up the car with the intake off the engine light was on along with the trac light-----i was worried i damaged something or did something wrong so i put it all back on and yes the lights came off.

Ill report back any changes--thanks