Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz to good to be true? yes

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-10, 10:35 AM
sprafrk21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jz to good to be true? yes

I found a shop that was selling a soarer 1jz, swan neck trans, ecu, uncut (minus the body plug) wiring harness, ingniter, and driveshaft for 2300 shipped to my door. I called the company and got the compression pics and each cylinder is at ~180psi, so i go ahead and buy it....

I recieved it yesterday, partiallly unrapped it to get the harness off so I could start extending it. after several hours of that I decided to take a break and completely unwrapped it. Low and behold its a f'in front sump motor out of a friggen chaser. I went back and looked at the pics, every pic matchs up with this motor but there was never a clear shot of the pan.

Im low on cash now after I have bought everything to swap it in maintenence wise so I cant go out and buy anything right now but I remember reading somewhere where the person swapped there pan out of their 2jzge, I just cant seem to find that thread if somebody could please point me in the right direction.

And what do I do about this harness, all I can seem to find is conflicting facts
Old 11-12-10, 10:43 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes just swap the oil pan with your 2jzge on.

Wiring will need more than extension , the body plugs on the Chaser will not match the SC body plugs so if you are not good with wiring it will need to go to Dr Tweak.
Good luck with the swap.
Old 11-12-10, 10:55 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah it can be done. Its just going to take a bit more work to wire it.

You have to drill and tap the oil pan boss to bolt the return flange on, but otherwise it is a direct swap. You will also have to swap the oil pickup obviously.

Also, the turbo outlet piping will be facing kinda the wrong way, but you can probably figure something out there.
Old 11-12-10, 01:23 PM
roundeye
Driver School Candidate

That sucks. I am in the market for a 1jz swap, and am trying to avoid a situation like this. Where did you get your swap from if I may ask?
Many of the 1jz motor sets for sale on ebay are Chaser and MKIII Supra sets, but they are being advertised as being from a Soarer. There is no way I will buy a motor set unless I pick it out in person or get pictures of the exact set that I will be purchasing. I hope things work out for you.
Old 11-12-10, 01:45 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

sometimes the sellers will confuse the 2, maybe they have another one laying around
Old 11-12-10, 02:19 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Chaser 1JZs are usually cleaner anyway, less sludge you don't have to tear the engine down and take it to the machine shop, but the harness will need some modifications.

If the engine is clean (pull the Valve covers if there is no sludge build up and the turbo are fine) i will just go ahead and procede with the swap.
If you are good with wiring it shouldn't be a problem.
My first 1JZ came out of a Chaser because all the Soarer 1jz were sludge up and some of them were missing sensors, coil packs, injectors etc... but all the Chasers were in mint condition.
The harness conversion cost me alot of money but aleast i didn't have to tear the engine apart and send it to the machine.
I know it screw up but you just have to take it and keep moving.
GL
Old 11-12-10, 03:18 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

doesn't the chaser R154 need a shifter extension as well? It may not sit in the same spot as the soarer.
Old 11-12-10, 03:28 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No, the Chaser and Soarer R154 shifter position is very close if not identical.
Old 11-12-10, 05:00 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stockhatch
No, the Chaser and Soarer R154 shifter position is very close if not identical.
Thanks, thats good to know, gonna have to remember that when im r154 shopping.

To the OP, there are lots of ways to get the wiring done from here, choose carefully. theres tweak, you could just get a soarer harness and extend that. you could also modify a sc300 harness to run the 1jz with a 2jz-gte ecu. since you have to do all the wiring anyways might be a better end result, less body plugs to mess with.
Old 11-12-10, 09:50 PM
sprafrk21
Driver School Candidate

I got it from japan direct japanese... I think, some friends gave me their number and recomended them.
I would like to use tweak but his prices along with turn around time are not so good in my opinion.
Im ok when it comes to wiring I've done some custom ignition boxs before but I also had a write up to help me out.

Im using a jzz30 pinout:

fuel pump relay- FPC, D1
check engine light-W
main relay ground-M REL
diagnostics plug-TE1
ground-E1
ignition switch-IGSW
Battery-BATT
main power relay- +B1, +B

So theoretically if I chased down those wires and plugged them into their corresponding missing plugs, the car should run. right?

I like the idea of less plugs especially since this will mainly be a track car
Old 11-12-10, 10:08 PM
sprafrk21
Driver School Candidate

I do have to agree that this engine is super clean, the only thing broken is one of the vacuum lines to the power steering is broken off. Nothing has that rust color on anything like all the other swaps i have done. I took a look inside the intake manifold and alot of dust but there wasnt a bit of carbon anywhere. I have yet to take the valve cover off but I did look down in there thru the oil cap and there wasnt any burnt oil stains.
Old 11-13-10, 09:24 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the detailed parts for the pan swap.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...42#post7945542
Old 11-13-10, 12:35 PM
RawkusX187
Lexus Test Driver

Mostly all 1jz are front sump. I believe you paid a lil too much for a 1jz unless it has a R154.
Old 11-16-10, 09:28 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RawkusX187
Mostly all 1jz are front sump. I believe you paid a lil too much for a 1jz unless it has a R154.
Yeah I think so too!
Old 11-16-10, 09:51 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

too add my 02. after just doing small maintence on my vvti is cleaner than most swaps i have seen most old jzx90 are in great condition idy just are as far as the tranny goes i thought jzx90 needed the shifter extention. I THOUGHT i could be wrong. if ure going single now would be a great time to tear down ur motor and get stuff sold if u need parts go to driftmotion

Quick Reply: 1jz to good to be true? yes