Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

W58 SC 400 long term report

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-10, 02:33 PM
mtnrat
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default W58 SC 400 long term report

Been driving my SC400 with the W58 swap for a few months now. So far so great. I am very glad I did the swap. The car is far more responsive and is a dream to drive. I had a minor vibration issue that I have figured out. It was most noticeable at 2000 rpm and at over 85mph. It was there whether driving, or at a standstill in neutral. I thought that maybe the flywheel/pressure plate may have been out of balance and had it balanced. The balance shop found that it was good, but did a couple of gram adjustment anyway. Put it back in and still had the vibration. I looked a little deeper at my swap and discovered that I had not cut out enough of the transmission tunnel to fully clear the shift linkage. This improved the situation, but I still had the vibe. While I was messing around with that I packed a lot of closed cell foam around the shifter area. This really made it quiet. So the next thing I did was replace the transmission mount with a new toyota part. BINGO, no vibe, silky smooth just like It was with the auto. I had looked at the mount when i did the install, but it looked perfect. A side by side comparison of the old and new showed the old was about 1/4" shorter or crushed. Not much. The rubber looked about the same. So it seems as if the rubber had fatigued and wasn't able to absorb any vibration anymore. I think it would be a good idea to put in a new tranny mount when doing the swap. I did think of that, but never did order the part, and did a bit of goose chasing that could have been avoided.
Old 11-15-10, 11:40 AM
tjfrom215
Rookie

nice save, another part goes on the list for my 58 swap,
how is the gearing of the 58? I love how hard my car digs
from a stand still, I dont want to lose that.
Old 11-15-10, 12:24 PM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

Thanks for the report!

i will maybe also swap to M/T, but before this, i will install the IMF Headers and a LSD

Is the w58 a good transmission for the 1UZ? i calculated max speed 244km/h with the W58 and original end gear. Is the SC in the lower gears faster? Or only more shifting?

One question more...how fast is your SC form 0-60mph? you are ever measured?

thanks!

Tom
Old 11-15-10, 01:16 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

great report. i might need a new mount too
Old 11-15-10, 09:49 PM
mtnrat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Boergy
Thanks for the report!

i will maybe also swap to M/T, but before this, i will install the IMF Headers and a LSD

Is the w58 a good transmission for the 1UZ? i calculated max speed 244km/h with the W58 and original end gear. Is the SC in the lower gears faster? Or only more shifting?

One question more...how fast is your SC form 0-60mph? you are ever measured?

thanks!

Tom
Do the header install at the same time or after the tranny install. You must leave the passenger side header loose with the nuts on the end of the studs for the bell housing to fit if you out the tranny in after. If you do the tranny swap after the headers you will have to loosen the passenger side and undo the egr tube to clear the bell housing. I do not know how fast 0-60, but it is faster. You only need to shift into second to get 60 mph. Thats with the 3.76 lsd. I have had it up to 220kph with definitely more left, again with the 3.76. Fastest with the auto and stock diff was 243kph and there wasn't any more.
Old 11-15-10, 09:50 PM
mtnrat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tjfrom215
nice save, another part goes on the list for my 58 swap,
how is the gearing of the 58? I love how hard my car digs
from a stand still, I dont want to lose that.
The car digs way better with the 5 spd.
Old 11-16-10, 12:23 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done 155 in mine with the stock 3.92 rear end and completely stock engine (even stock exhaust with only gutted cats). That was calculated based on tire size, gear ratio and RPM. I also ran a 14.8 quarter my first time ever at the strip, but I didn't get a best time because we got to the track late. I believe the best current would be at least a 14.6 based on my 60 ft time's margin for improvement.
Old 11-16-10, 06:27 PM
mtnrat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
I have done 155 in mine with the stock 3.92 rear end and completely stock engine (even stock exhaust with only gutted cats). That was calculated based on tire size, gear ratio and RPM. I also ran a 14.8 quarter my first time ever at the strip, but I didn't get a best time because we got to the track late. I believe the best current would be at least a 14.6 based on my 60 ft time's margin for improvement.
I used GPS for my top speed run. The car was totally stock at the time. Not even BFI.
Old 11-16-10, 07:35 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mtnrat
I used GPS for my top speed run. The car was totally stock at the time. Not even BFI.
Yea, that's definitely more accurate for your setup, but our numbers aren't really comparable since none of your runs were done with the w58/3.92 setup. I just thought somebody might like to know some relatively accurate data on the w58 with stock motor and differential gearing.
Old 11-16-10, 07:37 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Oh I guess I'm not stock though...I am running the unplugged MAF mod. Megasquirt 3 has been built for a couple weeks...just has to be installed.
Old 11-16-10, 09:07 PM
mtnrat
Pole Position

Really like to know how the megasquirt 3 works out for ya.
Old 06-08-11, 12:33 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

resurrect!
mtnrat, when you did your headers what did you do to the rest of the exhaust system? I have the same IMF headers and I lined them up with the stock manifold, seems like the upstream 02 sensors won't reach that bung on the IMF and instead the downstream 02 sensors would be a better reach? Also, want to know what you did with the cats, since the IMF's are a tad longer, those cats need to move further back, for lowered sc's that's not good i guess.
Old 06-08-11, 04:46 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mr2tosc4
resurrect!
mtnrat, when you did your headers what did you do to the rest of the exhaust system? I have the same IMF headers and I lined them up with the stock manifold, seems like the upstream 02 sensors won't reach that bung on the IMF and instead the downstream 02 sensors would be a better reach? Also, want to know what you did with the cats, since the IMF's are a tad longer, those cats need to move further back, for lowered sc's that's not good i guess.
Don't the IMF's delete the cats? Never held a set myself but it seems like they do (judging photos).
Old 06-08-11, 07:55 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, they do delete the cats. I'll probably end up hacking the stock Y to fit 2 cats and then meet at the x. Only thing I don't like about the IMFs or any other extractor for the 1UZ is to do a clutch job you'd now need to loosen the passenger side header too since the trans gets caged in by the collectors.
Old 06-08-11, 10:09 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Did you have to take out your w58 to get the headers in position mtnrat?

Quick Reply: W58 SC 400 long term report