Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Still havent gotten her running

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 08:32 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1uzfe4147
i checked. nothing seems wrong at all.
If you want to verify your cap/rotor or ignition coils I can mail you the parts I took off my car. I know they work 100%. You could try swapping in mine to see if they work. There free to you if you pay the shipping costs.

It's either those or a sensor that didn't get plugged back in or was damaged.

If you know you are getting good spark on both sides, you could probably start narrowing down your problem. Good spark to all plugs means its not an ignition coil problem. More than likely a damaged sensor or one that didn't get plugged back in.
Old 11-23-10, 08:53 PM
ShortyPH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC300_704
random question but did you ever took off the distributor while changing your timing belt?
when I changed my timing belt I put both rotors the wrong way and the car would not start

very stupid mistake but can happen check the rotors inside the distributor

if that happened after t belt and water pump service it's surely a problem related to engine electrical or random plugs
Old 11-24-10, 01:30 PM
1uzfe4147
Driver

Originally Posted by FireCode
If you want to verify your cap/rotor or ignition coils I can mail you the parts I took off my car. I know they work 100%. You could try swapping in mine to see if they work. There free to you if you pay the shipping costs.

It's either those or a sensor that didn't get plugged back in or was damaged.

If you know you are getting good spark on both sides, you could probably start narrowing down your problem. Good spark to all plugs means its not an ignition coil problem. More than likely a damaged sensor or one that didn't get plugged back in.
quite kind of you too offer, and thank you. if i get down to the thought of this i shall. thanks again. i deffinitly dont think i forgot to plug in any sensor because they are all out in the open and its clear nothing is unplugged. and is it possible one of the sesors got damaged while replacing water pump/timing belt even if everhything ran fine before?
Old 11-24-10, 01:33 PM
1uzfe4147
Driver

Originally Posted by ShortyPH
when I changed my timing belt I put both rotors the wrong way and the car would not start

very stupid mistake but can happen check the rotors inside the distributor

if that happened after t belt and water pump service it's surely a problem related to engine electrical or random plugs
hm, i didnt realise you could put those on wrong? I will have too check this, i looked at them a few times while i put them on the first time... is ther a special way too put them on? Sorry if i seem dumbfound, trying too learn. This is my first thing i have ever done more than replacing a radiator. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-24-10, 08:24 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

hm, i didnt realise you could put those on wrong? I will have too check this, i looked at them a few times while i put them on the first time... is ther a special way too put them on? Sorry if i seem dumbfound, trying too learn. This is my first thing i have ever done more than replacing a radiator. Thanks for the help.
Ok man here is what I need you to do...We need to find out if you are getting spark from your ignition coils, through your wires and to the spark plugs...so start on the passenger side and one by one, unplug the spark plug wire from the spark plug. Test each end to see if you have spark flowing through the wire. If you don't have spark running through your wires, we can begin to narrow your problem down. If you have no spark, let me know and I'll get you my parts because more than likely you have a non functioning ignition coil or cap/rotor. Could be your plug wires but I highly doubt that as you shouldn't have had to mess with those too much when you did your timing belt and water pump. Might want to give them a good look over though and make DOUBLE sure they are plug into the distributer at the right port.

Forgot to add...check the resistance of your wires to make sure they are good.

http://planetsoarer.com/penski/ThePenskiFile.html follow this guide for correct placement.

Last edited by FireCode; 11-24-10 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-24-10, 08:39 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Also, read this http://planetsoarer.com/obd/obd.htm
It doesn't actually diagnose your problem but it is saying pull your codes. Reset your ECU and then see what codes you have.
Old 11-25-10, 09:58 AM
1uzfe4147
Driver

Arrow

Ok man here is what I need you to do...We need to find out if you are getting spark from your ignition coils, through your wires and to the spark plugs...so start on the passenger side and one by one, unplug the spark plug wire from the spark plug. Test each end to see if you have spark flowing through the wire. If you don't have spark running through your wires, we can begin to narrow your problem down. If you have no spark, let me know and I'll get you my parts because more than likely you have a non functioning ignition coil or cap/rotor. Could be your plug wires but I highly doubt that as you shouldn't have had to mess with those too much when you did your timing belt and water pump. Might want to give them a good look over though and make DOUBLE sure they are plug into the distributer at the right port.

Forgot to add...check the resistance of your wires to make sure they are good.

http://planetsoarer.com/penski/ThePenskiFile.html follow this guide for correct placement.
ok i am getting spark! And my wires all look just fine ( just replaced plugs last week, thought maybe that was it ) Now could i have put the distributor rotor on wrong? I mean they look like commen sense but can you even put them on wrong? And i am clueless on the ecu code set reset thing. That is gibberish too me. Thank you for helping and dumbing it down.
Old 11-25-10, 09:38 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Alright so you have spark. Now double check that you have each wire going to the correct distributor port just like the planetsoarer link. Now, after you have done that, you need to see if your car is sending out any codes.

To do so see here-- https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...n-curious.html
this shows you what to do with the paper clip...Now remember, before you do this, you need to reset your battery...wait hang on do this...pull code first without reseting your ECU...then reset ECU and pull codes (I am just curiuos if anything will be different) How do you reset your ECU? 2 ways, unhook your battery or pull your EFI fuse( the big one in the underhood fuse box which is located on the drivers side near the shock tower)

Now that you know what to do with the paperclip, this link tells you how to read it. You'll get a number. ie 2 blinks with a pause follwed by one blink would be a code 21 http://www.troublecodes.net/Lexus/

Let us know what number you get. Also, let us know if you have a constant blinking CEL light and O/D light when you do this. Could be a good sign your ECU is crap.
Old 11-25-10, 10:55 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just a thought but if you did happened to have taken your distributor off, make sure when installing it back on that the marks on the gears line up w/ each other. this exact thing happened to me twice and couldn't get the car to run lol....
Old 11-25-10, 11:01 PM
1uzfe4147
Driver

just a thought but if you did happened to have taken your distributor off, make sure when installing it back on that the marks on the gears line up w/ each other. this exact thing happened to me twice and couldn't get the car to run lol....
are you refering too if i have my timing right? because i know my timing is right, even had someone come over after and double check all the marks. Same as what shows in the book. But if your refering too just the distributor alone then i am unsure, ill double check tomorrow after i get out of work. But i didnt see any marks on the distributors when i was putting them back on... thanks
Old 11-25-10, 11:05 PM
1uzfe4147
Driver

Alright so you have spark. Now double check that you have each wire going to the correct distributor port just like the planetsoarer link. Now, after you have done that, you need to see if your car is sending out any codes.

To do so see here-- https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...n-curious.html
this shows you what to do with the paper clip...Now remember, before you do this, you need to reset your battery...wait hang on do this...pull code first without reseting your ECU...then reset ECU and pull codes (I am just curiuos if anything will be different) How do you reset your ECU? 2 ways, unhook your battery or pull your EFI fuse( the big one in the underhood fuse box which is located on the drivers side near the shock tower)

Now that you know what to do with the paperclip, this link tells you how to read it. You'll get a number. ie 2 blinks with a pause follwed by one blink would be a code 21 http://www.troublecodes.net/Lexus/

Let us know what number you get. Also, let us know if you have a constant blinking CEL light and O/D light when you do this. Could be a good sign your ECU is crap.
I will atempt to try all of this out tomorrow after i get out of work. Depends how late i get out. Oh and when i try too start her up this is what happends. Turns over fast and good, but i hear a pop almost like a backfire in the intake and then a slight exhaust note from the rear. Like its double backfireing. Also i have noticed weird electrical things that wernt there before. Like in order 2 pop my trunk now i must have the key in and turned over. And when i try to start the car my door locks will lock/unlock automatically. Weird....
Thank you for the continued help.
Old 11-26-10, 09:33 AM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

are you refering too if i have my timing right? because i know my timing is right, even had someone come over after and double check all the marks. Same as what shows in the book. But if your refering too just the distributor alone then i am unsure, ill double check tomorrow after i get out of work. But i didnt see any marks on the distributors when i was putting them back on... thanks
yeah i'm just referring to the distributor..i forgot to mention that you have to turn the crank to TDC and then line up the distributor marks.
Old 11-26-10, 02:03 PM
1uzfe4147
Driver

yeah i'm just referring to the distributor..i forgot to mention that you have to turn the crank to TDC and then line up the distributor marks.
Woah? i can get it set 2 TDC, however i dont quite understand what u mean by distributor marks? is there a spot on them thats distrinctive? i havent been able too see one
Old 11-26-10, 04:39 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Woah? i can get it set 2 TDC, however i dont quite understand what u mean by distributor marks? is there a spot on them thats distrinctive? i havent been able too see one
you have to take the distributor off to see the marks i'm talking about. there's one on the distributor and one on the gears.
Old 11-26-10, 07:16 PM
1uzfe4147
Driver

you have to take the distributor off to see the marks i'm talking about. there's one on the distributor and one on the gears.
its a blizzard and its dark, i shall funk with this tomorrow. This may very well be my problem, that if of corse if this would stop it from starting?

Quick Reply: Still havent gotten her running