Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Still havent gotten her running

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-10, 07:37 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just realize that you have a sc400 not a 300 lol but i'm sure it uses the same concept.
Old 11-26-10, 10:23 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1uzfe4147
I will atempt to try all of this out tomorrow after i get out of work. Depends how late i get out. Oh and when i try too start her up this is what happends. Turns over fast and good, but i hear a pop almost like a backfire in the intake and then a slight exhaust note from the rear. Like its double backfireing. Also i have noticed weird electrical things that wernt there before. Like in order 2 pop my trunk now i must have the key in and turned over. And when i try to start the car my door locks will lock/unlock automatically. Weird....
Thank you for the continued help.
Yea the backfiring thing is why I initially thought it was an ignition problem. Also with your wierd electrical gremlins (almost like your security system is in a funk) mine did the exact same thing. THe mechanic thought he tripped the security system only to find out it was just that one messed up pin on the ignition coil.
Old 11-26-10, 10:41 PM
ShortyPH
Driver School Candidate

Yo 1uzfe I've got the same car as you and was in the same situation as you are/were.

I had never done mechanics before but after working on my unworking car for 6 months since I bought it I know a bit about timing belt replacement since I had to do this job.

I don't want to sound bad but forget about any electrical problem, an 92 is an 92 and if it is not rebuilt from new there will be a lot of difficult to find electrical problems etc.

I do not think that your car wouldn't start if it was only for a bad connection on a coil or a sparkplug, this v8 can run on 4 pistons and still idle roughly but will live. What might happened as it was already proposed was that both distributor cap were removed and the rotor inside of it was bolted the opposite way ... they are very easy to mix up.

theres just 2 bolts holding the rotor into the cam gears under the plastic distributor cap, try to bolt them the other way one at a time and try to start the car each time. if it fires up on 4 pistons you got one ok you just have to find what is the good way for each.

sorry if you already knew what I explained that was the issue for me with my car at one point so it can help... it really sounds like the missfires are because of the distributor rotors
Old 11-27-10, 09:48 AM
1uzfe4147
Driver

Originally Posted by ShortyPH
Yo 1uzfe I've got the same car as you and was in the same situation as you are/were.

I had never done mechanics before but after working on my unworking car for 6 months since I bought it I know a bit about timing belt replacement since I had to do this job.

I don't want to sound bad but forget about any electrical problem, an 92 is an 92 and if it is not rebuilt from new there will be a lot of difficult to find electrical problems etc.

I do not think that your car wouldn't start if it was only for a bad connection on a coil or a sparkplug, this v8 can run on 4 pistons and still idle roughly but will live. What might happened as it was already proposed was that both distributor cap were removed and the rotor inside of it was bolted the opposite way ... they are very easy to mix up.

theres just 2 bolts holding the rotor into the cam gears under the plastic distributor cap, try to bolt them the other way one at a time and try to start the car each time. if it fires up on 4 pistons you got one ok you just have to find what is the good way for each.

sorry if you already knew what I explained that was the issue for me with my car at one point so it can help... it really sounds like the missfires are because of the distributor rotors
Ya this has been an ongoing about 3 month headache for me. i was just about to head out and mess with my distributors but i figured i would see what you guys on here said first. So what you are saying is that you think i put both sides on wrong? or else if i put even one on properly one side would fire up? Seems weird i put both of wrong. But thank you!
Old 11-27-10, 09:51 AM
1uzfe4147
Driver

Originally Posted by SC300_704
i just realize that you have a sc400 not a 300 lol but i'm sure it uses the same concept.
lol no wonder you never commented to my questions about the distributors. its because you were thinking wtf? Because of how they are set up on the cam gears on the 1uz. Hah
Old 11-27-10, 10:15 AM
ShortyPH
Driver School Candidate

Indeed if both are put on the wrong side which is a mistake that can happen the car will just missfire and not start, if one is on the right side it can fire up on 4 pistons but will missfire a lot and won't have any power at all.

It's a 5 minutes job you should check it out but it can be something else too..... these cars are full of electrics and parts and ****.
Old 11-27-10, 12:02 PM
1uzfe4147
Driver

YES! she started up! However..... the belt is smoking. Seems like its riding too close to the ouside and its rubbing.. Could it be that i put it on too tight? Because i tightend it TIGHT.
Old 12-18-10, 08:43 PM
Supra510
Driver School Candidate

What did you do to get it to start?